Recent comments

• Figuring out how to improve urban freight flow   1 day 14 hours ago

I believe OTTO has a similar plan as this read a similar article as this at medium.com.

• Automation in vehicles and trucking: Imperfections and solutions   2 days 14 hours ago

Isn't it OTTO a company that offer autonomous driving truck is the first company to offer such service in the trucking field? I read a blog from 4WheelOnline the even Uber partnered with OTTO to apply their software with their fleet.

• Truck drivers in the crosshairs of gout   2 days 17 hours ago

Charles, I feel your pain. I had my first bout on I-55 in MO several years ago. Sudden pain, no relief, etc. After a couple doctor visits and medication that really didn't give me long term cure, I tried Gout Cure and have not had another attack since. Just wanted to offer a little help from an x-gout sufferer.

• FMCSA initiates drug and alcohol survey   3 days 44 min ago

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) nice article. i appreciate

• ATA names Drake senior vice president of legislative affairs   3 days 46 min ago

This is nice article for ATA. i want to say that than you.

• Driverless vehicles: a near-term reality?   3 days 14 hours ago

I read some where that Ford is aiming 2020 to full blast with their driver less vehicles so that about 4 years from now.

• No end in sight for worsening driver shortage   4 days 21 hours ago

Does it matter where I screen my hires from? You guys mentioned hire right, but I'm needing to screen at least 3 every week and a cheap or free option would be great. I was background report for new employees - backgroundreport.com but if there is a cheaper or free option somewhere else please post in.

• Suggesting 60-68 mph, FMCSA, NHTSA propose truck speed limiters   5 days 15 hours ago

Trucks driving fast, yeah that's what causes accidents.lol no, what causes accidents is trucks driving 62mph down the road and somebody in their car driving 75 mph in a 70 mph speed limit, which everybody does, and they drive right into the back of a truck or swerve to the passing lane and hit another car because the government refuses to train people to drive properly. They just don't realize how fast they are coming up on the truck. They should pass a law saying that carriers should have to set their truck speeds so that they can run the highest speed limit in each state instead of slowing them down. If they do this we need to double freight rates and force these people who believe they know best to pay for it with everything they purchase. I don't know what study they come up with leads them to believe trucks are driving too fast and getting into wrecks but I'm willing to bet that 85% of trucks now can't do 68mph so where are they getting their data to support whatever theory they have? This is unbelievable, just when they come up with something stupid and you think they can't come up with something as ignorant as that, BAM, IGNORANCE
    I would like to propose a study for the IGNORANCE to figure out, why don't they figure out how many people have died because of the dumb laws they create because it seems like their ignorance leads to more accidents not fewer

• FMCSA to prepare safety fitness rule addendum   6 days 22 hours ago

Looks like this going to favor JB Hunt, Schneider,swift...The cast of usual suspects.

• 2017 outlook: Some upside with Trump, but driver wage inflation a concern   1 week 54 min ago

Perry's lament that “There is a significant chance that we could get wage inflation on the trucking side" is spoken from an Ivory Tower somewhere, like West Philly. He and most others who profit from the labor of the trucker, just cannot see that the root cause of all the anguish to "control" drivers is Wages and the lack of proper compensation for all hours worked. I would bet his yearly bonus that he would not expect his local fire department to try to recruit firemen if they were not paid to sleep at the fire station, so they would be instantly ready to save His house when called upon. So until the arrogance of management types like Perry is squashed, the outlook for drivers will be the same. Rate hikes? These will only profit the companies............wanna bet?

• All about ELDs: Ready your fleet's strategy   1 week 22 hours ago

Notably missing from the list of exemptions is those who are fully exempt from all hours of service regulations , such as Utility Service Vehicles. Said industries who have benefited from being HOS exempt will continue to do so regarding ELD's.

The repair,upgrade or maintenance of any public utilities allows a very broad, all encompassing exemption from ALL hours of service rules.

Andy Blair Dotinspector@gmail.com

• Is the technician shortage becoming a catastrophe?   1 week 1 day ago

Hey Seabee,are you a tech or a manager or a shop owner?I'm a flat rate auto tech and my first year out 32 years ago I made 42k and it wasn't much then.My first day of automotive school we were taught to expect a minimum of 40% of the shop rate as a journeyman after school and a 2 year apprenticeship and 50% for specialty training such as transmissions.I invested in the extra tools and training for a transmission specialty and started at age 19 making 50%.Paying a tech 40-50% of the stated shop rate are ethical service trade standards and a 100-150% labor cost mark up.Apprentices worked under a journeyman and split the 40% with his mentor because the mentor had to check off on their work and were responsible for it.Do you understand how they have bastardized the biz and are over capitalizing on the techs and overcharging the customer now?They try to plug these lower paid less skilled and trained techs in where they can calling them B or C level paying them half as much or less but still charging the customer the same as if a certified journeyman had done the work.We have Mercedes shops charging $158 an hour then will wheel the car in the back room and have a rookie paid $20 an hour do the work when the customer is lead to believe a German scientist had done it.This is a 800% labor cost mark up to the customer and a complete ripoff.They are not wanting skilled and properly trained techs because they have to pay them but still want to charge the public as if they were.They are blowing the trade to Hell!

• The disconnect between EV expectations and reality   1 week 2 days ago

I believe Tesla starting to open some charging unit thru out the states. Charging time is also short about 60 mins ti fully charge a vehicle. Read info at 4 Wheel Online.

• Balancing privacy and safety   1 week 5 days ago

this is nice article for privacy. I will follow this guideline.

• Foxx: Inadequate infrastructure will remain a problem   1 week 6 days ago

Yes, there will always be a need for improvement in every aspect of our transportation system.

Mr. Foxx mentions his concern for texting and driving. It is a problem, yes, for your average driver and for any large vehicle driver (Interstate/Intrastate), Transit bus School bus, etc. It is the negative effect of a free culture (I understand some will disagree with my use of the word "free").
    However, the number of deaths he quoted (3,477) while it is correct and frustratingly sad as well, is only a very small number that doesn't come close to addressing any problem we have on the roads as it relates to a drivers attitude and behavior.
    When discussing traffic we focus way too much on the number of deaths that occur. From a training and improvement standpoint these numbers do nothing for anyone. A .03% drop in deaths in a given year means nothing when we are trying to solve this problem, but when this occurs, people jump for joy as if this means that people are driving safer, but this is not the case.

If you are constantly pushing the idea that we have to "hurry" and "be more efficient", as drivers to make our schedules and "keep things moving" (which is a misnomer. We will always have "things moving", it's just a matter of whether or not you are going to make safety your FIRST priority), you are only exposing, to a great degree, most drivers' inability to apply that to being a "safer" driver.

This occurs because as a society we are only promoting this silly notion that "time is money" while avoiding putting anywhere near as much time and energy into promoting - Safety First.

As a trainer, our biggest problem on the roads is the individual. I know this is not news to many people.

I will always lean on our professional drivers on the road, in other words, our "company drivers" to be the ones to set the examples. Any driver who drives a vehicle with the company name on it, needs to uphold the life-saving techniques they should be taught. Are they being taught this? No. Not to any great degree. It’s not important. We don’t talk about individual driver behavior.

Any trucker, bus driver, service vehicle driver, in other words, "company driver" who blames their problems on others, needs to look in the mirror for the solution.

A fatality does not occur unless a collision happens first and a collision happens, 95% of the time, due to driver error, which comes in the form of crowding other drivers (negligent following distance), or retaliating to another drivers mistake instead of compensating safely.

We don't have to wait for another round of "infrastructure" talks to make our roads safer. It is up to the drivers and what we promote as a society that will determine whether or not anyone is going to care about anyone other than themselves and their schedule when they are on the roads.

• Buying into safety: One fleet’s view   2 weeks 1 day ago

There are some reports that the terrorist attack in the Christmas market in Berlin. Could have being a lot worse if, it wasn't for the truck advance braking system that was automatically activated after it sense a collision. I guess this would be another example of truck safety technology saving the life of more than just the truck operator.

Thank You Cari & Thank FleetOwner, God knows our industry does not get the gratitude it deserve.

• Nikola One truck revealed tonight   2 weeks 4 days ago

Its great to hear the launching of this kind of technology in our lifetime. A system like this plus the success of autonomous truck delivery will make the road safer against statistics of truck crash and fatalities involved.

- James
    4wheelonline.com

• OOIDA requests rehearing on ELD rule   2 weeks 4 days ago

Well, here we are in the cusp of the law going into affect and or advocate OOIDA is still fighting on or behalf, but my question is as small fleet owners,O/O, and drivers are we doing enough to help OOIDA? I hear drivers daily saying they think it's a good idea because there isn't anything we can do to stop it and that mindset is the reason they keep trying to force more regulations on our industry which is already over regulated! Why do we continue to give up our rights for fear of standing up against our oppressors because that's exactly what they self proclaim to be, there is no conclusive evidence that ELD's would make the highway any safer but to the contrary they would make our highways much less safe and I'm saying that because it's a fact,I see it everyday right now, every driver I know that already use ELD's are telling me that since they have begun to use ELD's they have increased their speed on the highway because they are and I quote TRYING TO BEAT THE CLOCK, end quote. If mandating the use of ELD's will make drivers with the ability to drive extremely faster than the posted speed limit is going to be the New behavior on the roads then Will someone please make me understand the safety in mandating the use of ELD's in all 3.5million trucks on the road because it's obvious that I'm blind to the safety benefit of this mandate! What I do see is that this is another way to inflict tyranny and strip drivers of their constitutional right to feel secure in their dwelling and another avenue of revenue for these greedy vultures that prey on citizens of this country in every way they can. As professional drivers we can help OOIDA and have our INDUSTRY begin to listen to our voices and it would only take 24hrs to do it. ALL WE NEED TO DO IS GO ON STRIKE AND SHUT DOWN ALL MODES OF TRANSPORTATION from a cab to all public transportation and of course all commercial trucks private and for hire that operates in the daily commerce of this our USA, but sadly I know that people in general are so afraid of the very gov. That's supposed to protect use, which is ridiculous! When a people of any country becomes afraid of their government, then that government is no longer for and of the people it has become a rogue government and that government immediately after learning that their citizens fear the government it immediately begin to inflict regulations which is actually called TYRANNY people!! There are so called third world country's that have been brought its knees by the people because the people were fed up with the tyranny and disrespect from the government and they went on strike bringing change and less tyranny to the people. ARE YOU WILLING TO STAND UP FOR YOURSELF, INDUSTRY, AND FELLOW DRIVER BY SHUTTING DOWN THE INDUSTRY FOR AS LONG AS IT TAKES TO HELP STOP THE TYRANNY BEING INFLICTED ON US!!!! If so please do a Google search on countries that have had all drivers to go on strike leaving their vehicles on the roadways blocking traffic and making a DIFFERENCE in their industry, BUT I WILL BET MY LIFE THAT YOU WILL NOT DO EITHER, BECAUSE OF FEAR AND YOUR DEBT!!! What you sacrifice today WILL benefit you tomorrow when you're standing up for what's right!!!! REAL TALK FOR REAL PEOPLE

• Most wanted safety improvements for trucking   3 weeks 17 hours ago

"Use technology to monitor driver behavior"??

WTH? Although there are bad drivers across all modes of transportation there are bad trucking companies who need a bit of technological monitoring as well.

Case in point: SB on I95. No road hazard high wind signs activated. South of Walker Lake a banshee wind shattered the passenger window and totaled the windshield of the class 8 vehicle I was driving. I limped into Hawthorne and called in. I was instructed to clean up the glass, drive to Sparks for repairs. I told him the windshield was totaled...he didn't believe me even with the photos I sent him. I made a drivers decision and repeated my assessment: the truck was unsafe to drive. It wasn't until the truck was towed to Sparks and the techs told him the windshield was totaled that he believed me?? Do you have technology to monitor over zealous company's that pay lip service to safety but really don't give a damn?? I know I made the right choice. My next move was to quit that company. As a professional driver I do not need that kind of harassment.

Monitor the big box trucking companies and the mom and pop companies that feel they have to push just to compete.

Get the cart back behind the horse. Don't let greed trump safety. KISS

Peace, Lightfoot

• Of Super Trucks and other envelope-pushing equipment   3 weeks 2 days ago

Speaking of "envelope pushing equipment", I'm surprised that you did not mention Hyliion's electric drive axle on the trailer. Even NASA thought it was worthy of an award... contest.techbriefs.com/2016/entries/sustainable-technologies/6789

• FMCSA takes 'first step' to sleep apnea rule   3 weeks 5 days ago

You are absolutely right, Most IME's work for hospitals or medical facilities. With the new IME rules, they have cut out the lower level MD's that perform that task, The stats for drivers in the trucking industry, has the afflicted drivers at 1 out of 5, yet a hospital in Fruitland, Id, has a PA, that issues these tests to almost every driver who walks thru the door., Why? Because he directs them to his own hospital for the testing. Hence he gets a cut, and the hospital gets the test money, hence revenue creation by fraudulent means. Which is par for the course of most all hospitals.But the the friggin FEDS could give a shit less, because they do not monitor such criminal acts by their agents, yes , the IME's are agents of the DOT. Since DOT made the tests mandatory part of the physicals....

• FMCSA takes 'first step' to sleep apnea rule   3 weeks 5 days ago

Sure, there are some isolated instances where an accident may have occurred because of a tired Driver. Sleep Apnea? Maybe, Probably not. But then if you add up the accidents caused by any & all licensed drivers, you will more than likely see a big issue with tired drivers. So why focus on just the trucking industry?. Here is why! The idiots at MADD & MATT pay lobbists to attack a single group to get their agenda's passed a bit at at time. 95% OF Duii & tired drivers accidents are not caused by the Trucking industry, but of the general driving industry of the world. But they know they can not further their agenda attacking the worlds drivers, to much resistance there. Once they get you by the balls on one agenda, they feel the need to control more people, so they go further to the next area. But truck drivers and the trucking industry are just like a bunch of dumbass ranchers and farmers, they have the ability to control the rules, but they are to friggin stupid to stand together, so you hang seperately. I believe an founding father once said that. Take a stand, and drop the country to its knees, and you will see a reversal in this bullshit,,All truckers and companies need to stand up, and shut down for 1 week, no one will go broke in the trucking industry by shutting down a week, but the country would have no food, no fuel and would be dead in the water. only way to control this out of control regulations. Remember, you control your own destiny.

• How Generation Z might change trucking   4 weeks 3 days ago

This is an excellent article full of interesting research on 18-24 year olds. Unfortunately they are probably not Gen Z, they are more likely "late" Millennials. The Millennials span from around 1983 to 2002 or so, according to the most scholarly work on generations (see Stauss and Howe books: "Generations" and "The Fourth Turning"). The oldest of them by that research is between 14 or 15. The idea that Gen Z is older came from a more recent book and was based on market research, not historical analysis of generational patterns.

• Most wanted safety improvements for trucking   4 weeks 3 days ago

Dear NHTSA The first step is to get management's attention. Show them a video of a large group of dispatchers, ranting and raving to push a driver past their fatigue limit. Then show another batch of them blythely falsifying the driver's ELDs. A couple of high fives for solidarity......and then shoot them. Have a John Wayne look alike walk into the carnage and scowl at them. Alright pilgrims............I don't much like ya walkin all over my guys, ya see? These here drivers are kinda friends of mine, see, and I'm here to tell ya, from now on you do right by them, or I'm comin back. And if I have to come back, it's you'alls butts will be on the floor, got it? Once dispatch gets "the WORD" a decent day will be had by all, drivers will stop for lunch and supper like they used ta and maybe even the buffalo will come.

• Speed limiters: Safety groups want mandate—ASAP   4 weeks 3 days ago

When the RSA gets it head out of the sand, wait forget it, that will never happen. Of the "over one million crashes" that occurred over 994,499 were caused by the automobile drivers that were injured or killed in the crash. Because THEY did not use common sense; Speeding, cutting off trucks, cutting in front of trucks then jamming the brakes, weaving in & out of traffic, texting while driving, talking on a non hands free phone, playing with the radio, reading books, magazine, working on computers, putting on make-up, shaving, eating or drinking, just a few that happen every minute of every day around a large truck.