Recent comments

• New food safety rules pose impact for refrigerated carriers   1 day 2 hours ago

This has long been a concern for me especially since shippers and receiving company load & unload the same trailers used to haul other freight without checking the trailer for damage or even cleaning or worrying about the probability of cross contamination from the driver's clothing,trailer or product hauled before it arrives af their location for loading. I myself change my gloves and jacket before entering a food processor and warehouse i pay for my trailers cleaning and inspect for damage i even get a outside company to test my drivers and conduct a swab test for biological pathogens in my trailers i keep all records and testing of my employees and equipments in their files and compliance files to have on hand for my customers and my business. I started doing this after getting food poisoning from a warehouse i ate at. In 2009 a customer was involved in a major safety violation for shipping contaminated fresh produce and the integrity of my business implementation were reviewed and questioned as to why i have these safety implementation in place and I explained my illness and why i started to keep a record of my driver's testing for understanding food safety and the testing for biological contamination in my trailers for my customers and my business i never want to be involved in a lawsuit against my business or added to one from a customer trying to pass the blame on my business. I do agree with you shipping multiple products can lead to a major problem especially if the product accidentally comes in contact with each or human error and implementation should be followed by all means and all involved in the distribution and shipping should know the proper protocol everyone is accountable for Their actions shippers, carriers, distributors even drivers

• Embark unveils self-driving truck   2 days 5 min ago

So, the OO will sit at home, without pay of course cause he sure don't get detention now, and watch the boob tube, and when ????? calls him, he jumps into his pup and races down to..................??? A staging area, the shoulder of the interstate? The off ramp???? Wow, what a golden opportunity. So instead of enlarging and increasing parking for real potty users, the gov will spend millions of the taxpayers dollars for staging areas and leave the real drivers to find a tree and risk a ticket for parking on the shoulder. Yeesh!

• Embark unveils self-driving truck   2 days 13 min ago

Follow the money, eh? I hope you have a lot of insurance and a whole lot of Hallmark cards, the Sympathy cards when the first truck goes down and takes a bunch of, your relatives perhaps, with it. And don't forget to buy a whole lot of Hallmark's 'Sorry you lost your job, buddy' cards too. I am a diehard Independent, but if I can get Trump to intervene here, I may just vote Republican.

• TruckMate for Windows training available online   2 days 43 min ago

How can I get ythe online training on Truckmate:
    - how much it will cost
    - how long the training will be
    - any examination or test
    - any certificate given

• TCA launches accreditation program for truckload carriers   2 days 1 hour ago

This is a good first step in professionalizing the non-driver. Perhaps it would be a good idea to ASK experienced drivers what they expect from the companies they work for, such as: detention pay, google miles, a pledge to not falsify logs from dispatchers and then asking drivers to sign off on this, a federal document, that if signed by the driver, will only put his job and reputation in jeopardy. I urge TCA to go to a truck stop and ASK the drivers, instead of once again, creating programs and supporting rulemaking that seems to always go against the guy holding the steering wheel.

• Is the tide turning for small trucking companies?   2 days 1 hour ago

Try to wrap your brain around this one. Qualcomm shot down the original USB & thumbdrive proposal that would have been simple, cheap and under the driver's control. The ELD the ATA favors creates several major problems: They cost while delivering over a Billion dollars in air time fees to Qualcom and friends. They are hackable, as the University of Michigan has already demonstrated. And dispatchers can falsify them at will, adding from 4 to 11 more hours to available hours. I don't know about you, but the word SAFETY fails to rear its shaggy head anywhere in all this. Have I ever said Follow The $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Is the tide turning for small trucking companies?   2 days 1 hour ago

" with railroads and TL carriers in particular reducing system capacity in order to maintain equipment utilization and boost returns on investment – should trigger an improvement in freight rates" Say what? NO, this is not true, small trucking companies won't just be able to buy a bunch more trucks to rise to the occasion BUT the big guys will definitely buy more trucks as the market improves, why wouldn't they? Sometimes I look at what these so-called experts spout, and I just gotta shake my head.

• FLEET OWNER 500 AMERICA'S TOP PRIVATE FLEETS   2 days 6 hours ago

There must be an updated version of this blog too.
    There would have been significant changes since the blog has been published.

• DHL: Artificial intelligence will remold logistics world   2 days 17 hours ago

Nice post! I am organizing a AI hackathon (programming competition) at the Kiev Polytechnic Institute, best scientific university of Ukraine.

The topic is deep learning applied to real-world problems, and in our registration survey, participants showed a strong interest for logistics topics. So your post is very inspiring for us!

I am looking for remote speakers to present their challenges to our talented crowd.
    Can you suggest someone?

If your company has cash to spend, it is even more interesting.
    We hope this event will initiate new collaborations: recruitment, funding, consulting, outsourcing...

• UPS tests delivery drone from atop package car   2 days 20 hours ago

The Orion program is a joke. The fact that they are comparing the drone program to it means they are both destined for failure. The higher-ups have to much money invested to admit it.

• DEF in the Radiator?   4 days 3 hours ago

I own a farm tractor with Tier 4a emissions system and the past year have experienced problems with first an inter-cooler internal leakage and this past fall a radiator failure where-by the interior of the core was eaten out. At first, the rad shop thought it to be electrolysis, but testing for stray voltage revealed nothing unusual. Then I took a coolant sample and sent to lab to discover a pH of 11.2, very alkaline. The coolant sample has high aluminum content and an ammonia odor, which was very noticeable. An oil sample at the same time revealed high copper content and potassium, and some aluminum, sodium and tin. Later a DEF sample was taken to look for traces of coolant, none found. Dealer is stumped! And I am frustrated and unhappy with the actions taken. Any advice?

• Estes launches human trafficking awareness campaign   4 days 7 hours ago

Human trafficking is a serious crime, Estes campaign is very appreciable. It rises the awareness in society.

• Brain-injured trucker publishes children's book   4 days 20 hours ago

How about a book on the elves try trucking? We need to get the younger generation into trucking in order to help curb the on-going driver shortage.

• Defending fleets against cyber threats   4 days 23 hours ago

Cargo theft. Important, sure. Even more important is remote control of 3 million trucks via the mandated ELD device that MUST be connected to the CAN of our ECMs. This has created a back door to both hackers, who can remotely take over a truck's operating systems including brakes and steering and to dispatchers who merrily falsify drivers logs whenever they want. This Is All Searchable On Google! In addition to cargo theft, I wonder why FMCSA is so willing to add another hackable device to the telematics mix. Perhaps it is because of the Billions of dollars in airtime fees that manufacturers will accrue, while Smart Phone apps easily, safely and inexpensively replace paper logs and the poor manufacturers will miss out on this largess. One more burdonsome mandate that will cost trucking more billions of dollars and create even more hazardous driving from drivers pushing to make their runs within a nonflexible schedule. Flexibility is the name of the game and without it, you will have many shippers and receivers left sitting with their mouths open after getting a phone call saying their time sensitive freight is sitting 10 miles away at a rest area in Wyoming. This is the practical operational perspective that Keith will not, but probably should, be talking about. Ivory tower perspectives will never adequately replace the view from where the rubber meets the road.

• ARTBA’s “bad bridge” report   1 week 1 day ago

Isn't it strange that the number of deficient bridges in the US.,is determined by the association who's members are the companies that repair and/or replace the bridges

• Battling to change educational perspective   1 week 1 day ago

I agree that this is a major problem and truck driving becomes more and more widespread. Education plays very important role in everyone's life. One should possess many writing skills to complete grand-essays.com and get an excellent career in future.

• Trucking exec ‘stuns’ senator with safety stats   1 week 2 days ago

Senator Booker needs to stop believing everything that the anti truck media and anti truck groups tell him. I suggest he speed some time on truck video site, you tube and others and see the immense number of near accidents and accidents that are caused by the motoring public who feel the trucks are only in there way. I have been a commercial driver for 44 years and have had more scares than I want to remember from the smaller motoring public. The vast majority of accidents involving trucks are caused by the smaller vehicles (over 90 % in my experience). Yet trucks get all the blame!! Step up and check them out Senator!

• Study: Millennial drivers exhibit dangerous behaviors   1 week 3 days ago

Like this is the 1st time young drivers have driven like this?
    This is nothing new.

Should have seen us back in the mid seventies.

• NSC: Motor vehicle deaths reach nine-year high   1 week 3 days ago

“Nearly half of all motor vehicle fatalities were unbelted.”

So actually, more WERE belted. Way to tiptoe around that one.

Looks like all of those FMCSR's are really helping, so let's add more!

• Eye opening impacts of poor sleep   1 week 4 days ago

Lack of sleep, stress, strain, improper eating habits, not taking care of eyes and many more reasons are responsible for eye problems. Late night working on computers or reading books can badly affect your eyes which may lead to dry eye problems and more. Similarly, when going out in sun and not taking precautions can lead to eye damage. Wearing sunglasses can help a lot in this. Suppliers that are reputed like Oakley, citysunglass.com and more offer sunglasses that have good features. One must adopt wearing sunglasses regularly and avoid eye problems.

• Golf handicaps and fuel efficiency   1 week 5 days ago

Great post, Mike! You literally described what Vnomics does and put it into such a great, easy to understand way! Golfers get handicaps, drives should too! (especially if they have a fuel bonus tied to it!!)

• Head of Daimler Trucks & Buses resigns   1 week 5 days ago

what..... why r you resign Wolfgang Bernhard.you are champion.

• Training to escape trucks when trapped underwater   1 week 6 days ago

So where is the rest of the information?

That was not helpful!

• Is the tide turning for small trucking companies?   2 weeks 1 day ago

The two main problems facing small companies is the ELD mandate and the training practices of the large companies. Since the ATA sued the government to force ELDs on the rest of us and now that they have delayed the new training requirements, we will be paying more for our ELD service and competing against team drivers with only learners permits. I don't see how either of those help the small trucker or safety. Just sayin'.

• Distracted driving ...overblown?   2 weeks 3 days ago

Great piece Aaron, thanks. We at Maven Machines pioneered the first smart Bluetooth headset to monitor fatigue and detect distraction (e.g., frequently looking down to read a screen.) We provide gesture controls and speech technology to keep drivers 100% hand and eyes free while taking advantage of the benefits of mobile technology including active coaching and advance traffic and weather.

Can the mobile genie really be put back in the bottle? Besides, isn't the process of moving freight from point A to B benefited by communication. We believe mobility is a solution that can be managed safely and raise efficiency and driver satisfaction. We provide both fleets and drivers with real-time awareness and transparency of the 'Culprits'. Rather than disavowing all mobile use, we advocate Maven Smartsense technology to understand and manage behaviors.