Recent comments

• The Gig Economy Comes to Trucking   19 hours 54 min ago

Look at the Cleveroad blog (article called Uber for trucks or how to establish your own successful trucking business) and there's really cool article with figures How much does it cost to create app like Uber trucks

• Isuzu introduces 2016 NPR Diesel truck   1 day 9 hours ago

tell me its price in pakistan

• Will truckers become like drone operators?   1 day 11 hours ago

It's interesting tech however who is doing the visual pretrip of the truck and trailer?
    What is the failsafe mode when the system has a failure?
    What is the systems reaction to emergencies? brakes failed or tire blowout for example, or something as simple as power steering failure a driver could get the unit to a repair facility safely, can this system?
    I'm all for new tech and this is really cool stuff but it has a long way to go in my opinion.

• ACT Expo preview: Customers, not regs, drive 'miraculous' truck tech   1 day 11 hours ago

As is the case with so many ultra liberal stances. This sounds good. California seems to believe an economy works on monopoly money. That debt and overhead are not real. That taxpayer dollars are unlimited and that anyone questioning the validity of environmentally motivated mandates,no matter how costly, is a bufoon...

• Will truckers become like drone operators?   1 day 12 hours ago

Let's see now: 1. Will these 'operators' need a CDL? 2. What about getting a beer from the fridge, checking the FB page.......hecky darn, what about the scenery.......or the lack of that keeps most of us out here. Just a 9 to 5'r job, ho hum, .........the tedium is starting to make me tired. Who will stop on the shoulder to help a little old lady fix a tire, or toot the horns at the kindergartners, eh? The trouble with this is what prompted many drivers to GO trucking. Office politics, tedium, constantly having the boss looking over your shoulder. Instead of replacing us, let's Celebrate Truckers. Give us back our Knight of the open Road papers and be Glad we are such an important part of America. I'm getting really tired of these know it alls in their cluttered basements telling us what to do, spying on us 24/7, making rules without any understanding of what this life is about. Stakeholders???? Didn't see any drivers there. Kinda sounds like Taxation without Representation to me. Why are we excluded from all input about the most important thing in our lives....our Livlihoods?

• It’s not too soon to prepare for Roadcheck 2017   1 day 12 hours ago

Load securement is not difficult but it can be commodity specific.

The general regulations ( and directions) are found in the green DOT book ( 49 CFR) sections 393.100 to 393.136.

The specific commodities mentioned are logs, dressed lumber, metal coils, paper rolls, concrete pipe, intermodal containers, Autos/light trucks ( up to 10,000 lbs) , Heavy machinery/equipment ( over 10,000 lbs) , flattened/crushed vehicles, roll off containers and large boulders.

To see what would cause an Out of Service condition, you would need to get the North American Standard Out of Service Criteria. It is available from CVSA.org in a binder with great pictures or electronic.

This book is THE FINAL say on whether or not you get shut down. A new version comes out every April 1st but it is already available. There are just over 8 pages devoted to load securement and it is a great guide to help you secure your load properly. You can also use it to file a DataQ challenge if you factually disagree with a violation.

TIP - while bungee cords cannot be used as a primary means of securement ( on anything besides rakes and shovels) , they can be used as a secondary means. I won a DataQ challenge on this.

I became a Police Officer in 1986 and a roadside DOT inspector in 1999. While I am now retired, I do help companies with DOT regulations and challenges. Use the same information the officers do to do a great job on load securement and get that load delivered !

Andy Blair dotinspector@gmail.com

• CVSA 2017 roadcheck set for June 6-8; emphasis to be on cargo securement   1 week 11 hours ago

There are more pages in the Out-Of-Service on Load Securement Book than any other topic. If you are a commodity specific hauler, than you have some very specific rules that apply to you. If you don't follow these rules, you could very well find your truck being placed OOS.

These specific rules cover...logs, dressed lumber, metal coils, paper rolls, concrete pipe, intermodal containers, light vehicles, heavy vehicles and equipment, flattened or crushed vehicles, roll off containers , haz-mat and large boulders.

If none of these categories apply , than you are under the general freight rules. Generally speaking, items 5 ft and under only need one tie down while those over 5 ft need at least two tie downs and another for each additional 10 feet.

WLL Working Load Limit requires that you use enough weight rated tie downs to equal at least HALF the weight of the load.

So you have to know the length of the object, the weight of the object and whether or not it falls into one of the commodity specific areas. Whichever requires the most amount of tie downs is the one to go with.

TIP. Use one more tie down than required. Just in case one of the tie downs is bad, you won't be OOS service of you don't go below the minimum amount of required tie downs. You will be shut down if you don't have enough.

Inspect your tie downs every trip. There is a defect table that determines when they are legally considered to be no good ( even if they still function).

Another TIP. A tie down is only as strong as its weakest point.

All of these rules and requirements are plainly spelled out in the North American Standard Out of Service Criteria available now at CVSA.org. This book comes out every April 1st ( $45) and is a great tool for drivers and carriers.

As a former DOT Officer, I used it a LOT to write tickets and place trucks OOS. You should use it to make sure this doesn't happen to you.

Andy Blair Dotinspector@gmail.com

• Green Fleet of the Month: Award-winning ways   1 week 1 day ago

Congrats to the great team at Hirschbach. Well deserved credit for an industry-leading company.

• Trucking regs in limbo: What will emerge, and when?   1 week 1 day ago

And ELDs connected to the ECM are exactly the regs that should be scrapped. The are falsifyable and hackable. The proof is all over the internet. They do not belong under a safety mandate. Keep the Smart Phone apps. They work and do not compromise highway safety. Just type in semi truck hacking. It is not about safety, it is about the BILLION DOLLARS IN AIR TIME FEES TO QUALCOMM AND FRIENDS. Profiteering on defective equipment is against the law. This time, agitate to be proactive on recalling these instead of wringing your hands and crying your crocodile tears AFTER the fact and over the graves of someones wife or child who is killed by a hacked semi. Don't we have enough highway deaths already?

• Hackney enters van shelving market   1 week 1 day ago

Can this be compared to the shelving and racking system of sortimo.com/? Cause I urgently need some kind of organization in my van, currently I got the feeling that everything is flying around as soon as I stop the car..

• The most common tax filing mistake for drivers is not filing taxes   1 week 3 days ago

We use Omnitracs, and have a website where we can download and print our logs. Also, I don't see how companies can delete logs after 6 months...unless I'm mistaken, I thought companies had to retain them for one year in case the DOT audits them?

• Trucking wins: FMCSA drops 2013 restart provisions   1 week 5 days ago

highway safety groups are clueless and their only focus is to punish us all for the neglect of a few. all the answers to fatigue and driver compensation are so well known, you have to be in an alternate universe to keep flailing about at windmills like they are. Fair pay for a fair day will do more than all the digital shackles to return trucking to the professionals. where are the cops? There are so few anymore, to see one is to mark it on the calendar, like recording a rare duck or two headed deer. just sitting in the Petro while doing laundry today, and the dirty, obese homo sapiens that shuffled by me in their bedroom slippers makes me ashamed to admit we are drivers too. Trucking as a profession is getting its karma payback and the knights of the road have become the blights of the road, and they are taking the rest of us down with them. Thanks fmcsa, dot, and state governments that have diverted fuel taxes from roads and safety.

• FMCSA compliance chief on ELDs: Fleets, make sure you're doing this   1 week 5 days ago

great, now all i have to do is find someone who will pay me enough for one run a month

• Doing your part to prevent truck accidents   2 weeks 13 hours ago

Great reminders of some of the most critical facets of preventing crashes. I'd only like to amplify the portion about driver safety. Sometimes drivers feel like "safety" is a battle between supervisors/management and the hardworking folks who are trying to satisfy demanding shippers and sometimes discouraging dispatchers. Elevating safety from blame games to genuine "I've got your back" tactics goes a long way in retaining the best operators and differentiating culture of your firm from others that may be short sighted on safety. Driver supervision, when done right monitors (fairly, consistently) for policy violations leading to coaching, corrective action and escalation if repeat violations are documented. Policy exists as a way to communicate necessary job-related expectations of business owners who must fulfill legal, regulatory and risk management requirements which affect their ability to keep the lights on and doors open. Also, the newest tech for accident avoidance works, but invest time to educate drivers on what it would feel like in a near-miss situation so they know what to expect. Demonstrate the technology in a variety of weather conditions, and encourage drivers to share their skepticism so that manufacturer reps can deliver sound, well crafted responses of assurance and confidence. The trucking industry has had a history of "new tech" that flopped for one reason or another, and while the latest round of "tech" has been validated at some of the largest carriers in the USA (and around the world) it's reasonable to build the confidence of the operators who will be relying on that tech in the event of a real emergency. Again, great article.

• Next potential use of 3D printing in trucking: Lightweighting   2 weeks 1 day ago

Whether shipping parts or powders, trucking wins either way.

• The most common tax filing mistake for drivers is not filing taxes   2 weeks 5 days ago

Just wondering about e logs only being kept for 6 mo. or so. Is it possible for a driver to down load and print out his e logs say once a mo. and then he would have copy of all years logs for tax purposes ?

• Ready for the robots?   2 weeks 6 days ago

Automated manual transmissions allow the operator to assume control of shifting if need be; he won't need to know how to double clutch, or "float 'em". He'll be able to handle dangerous road conditions IF he's been taught properly. I haven't driven a semi in a long time so I have no experience with AMTs, but creeping alongside a rig with a manual in stop'n'go rush-hour traffic, I feel sorry for the operators. All my driving, occasionally hauling heavy construction equipment when my drivers were on vacation or sick, was in south and west Texas. The drawback there was hours of driving on flat, straight highways with all most no need to shift.

TMC

Perfect ,A group of Gas Bag Fleet Managers on Holiday ,While we as Drivers sit by the roadside broken down

• Putting RFID tags in truck tires   3 weeks 1 day ago

I think I'm all thunk out. It's like an invasion of the body snatchers. It looks like sooner rather than later, no one will be needed anymore. The tires talk to themselves and the robots drive the trucks, the stores just keep stacking up the goods with their telematic forklifts. Aha, but no robots will repair the roads, or buy the groceries, so soon, the roads wear out, the autono vehicles get stuck in the mud, the groceries rot and the tires start telling road jokes like: why did the chicken cross the road?..............what's a chicken?. Then the Amish can take us all in and we can just wait until all the robots stop or get stepped on by an elephant or a moose and there will be world peace and maybe the buffalo will come back.

• Viewing the connected roadmap for commercial vehicles   3 weeks 2 days ago

So are you trying to say that the driver will no longer be needed at some point due to technological advances?

• Viewing the connected roadmap for commercial vehicles   3 weeks 2 days ago

So your saying that eventually the driver will no longer be needed?

• New food safety rules pose impact for refrigerated carriers   3 weeks 4 days ago

This has long been a concern for me especially since shippers and receiving company load & unload the same trailers used to haul other freight without checking the trailer for damage or even cleaning or worrying about the probability of cross contamination from the driver's clothing,trailer or product hauled before it arrives af their location for loading. I myself change my gloves and jacket before entering a food processor and warehouse i pay for my trailers cleaning and inspect for damage i even get a outside company to test my drivers and conduct a swab test for biological pathogens in my trailers i keep all records and testing of my employees and equipments in their files and compliance files to have on hand for my customers and my business. I started doing this after getting food poisoning from a warehouse i ate at. In 2009 a customer was involved in a major safety violation for shipping contaminated fresh produce and the integrity of my business implementation were reviewed and questioned as to why i have these safety implementation in place and I explained my illness and why i started to keep a record of my driver's testing for understanding food safety and the testing for biological contamination in my trailers for my customers and my business i never want to be involved in a lawsuit against my business or added to one from a customer trying to pass the blame on my business. I do agree with you shipping multiple products can lead to a major problem especially if the product accidentally comes in contact with each or human error and implementation should be followed by all means and all involved in the distribution and shipping should know the proper protocol everyone is accountable for Their actions shippers, carriers, distributors even drivers

• Embark unveils self-driving truck   3 weeks 5 days ago

So, the OO will sit at home, without pay of course cause he sure don't get detention now, and watch the boob tube, and when ????? calls him, he jumps into his pup and races down to..................??? A staging area, the shoulder of the interstate? The off ramp???? Wow, what a golden opportunity. So instead of enlarging and increasing parking for real potty users, the gov will spend millions of the taxpayers dollars for staging areas and leave the real drivers to find a tree and risk a ticket for parking on the shoulder. Yeesh!

• Embark unveils self-driving truck   3 weeks 5 days ago

Follow the money, eh? I hope you have a lot of insurance and a whole lot of Hallmark cards, the Sympathy cards when the first truck goes down and takes a bunch of, your relatives perhaps, with it. And don't forget to buy a whole lot of Hallmark's 'Sorry you lost your job, buddy' cards too. I am a diehard Independent, but if I can get Trump to intervene here, I may just vote Republican.

• TruckMate for Windows training available online   3 weeks 5 days ago

How can I get ythe online training on Truckmate:
    - how much it will cost
    - how long the training will be
    - any examination or test
    - any certificate given