Recent comments

• Speed limiters: Safety groups want mandate—ASAP   4 weeks 5 days ago

When the RSA gets it head out of the sand, wait forget it, that will never happen. Of the "over one million crashes" that occurred over 994,499 were caused by the automobile drivers that were injured or killed in the crash. Because THEY did not use common sense; Speeding, cutting off trucks, cutting in front of trucks then jamming the brakes, weaving in & out of traffic, texting while driving, talking on a non hands free phone, playing with the radio, reading books, magazine, working on computers, putting on make-up, shaving, eating or drinking, just a few that happen every minute of every day around a large truck.

• Speed limiters: Safety groups want mandate—ASAP   4 weeks 5 days ago

I have been driving a class 8 vehicle with the speed limiter set at 62mph for the last 8 months.

In states where the maximum speed limit is 65mph presents little frustration on interstates. Two lane highways are a different story. Because most truck drivers will consistently move at 5mph over the posted speed they tend to tailgate and become impatient and to take unnecessary risks to pass. Four wheelers will do the same.

States where posted truck speed limits are 65+ mph can be frustrating and unsafe for a driver with a truck that will only move at 62mph. Tailgating and unsafe passing practices tend to increase with increased posted speed limits.

It seems a limiter mandate at this point in the game is putting the cart ahead of the horse. Many trucking companies have voluntarily installed speed limiters to whole fleets. Some as low as 60mph. Trucking companies should not be allowed to lower fleet speeds to any less than 68mph or states and Feds should agree to lower speed limits nationwide and monitor vehicle speeds closely and to the letter of the law. No mercy for speeding, aggressive drivers translates to lives saved.

I have been driving class 8 vehicles for 20+ years. No accidents, no speeding tickets. I recently left the trucking company with the 62mph speed limiter. They consistently sent me to states where the posted speed limit for trucks is 70mph and routed me to two lane roads in these states. You do the math.

An almost exponential increase in the number of trucks in the US and an increased population of inexperienced drivers indicates a dire need for more state and federal control. I have observed truck drivers squeezing an 80,000 pound vehicle in front of a four wheeler at distances and speeds that only inexperience and a lack of driving knowledge would allow. Speed limiter mandates alone will not increase an inexperienced drivers safety knowledge.

Start with driver education. 4 weeks "training" is simply not enough time. Safety is paramount. And a genuine concern for public safety on the highways. My observation has been that limiters alone increase aggressive driving. Education is the starting point any trucking company and any state and federal control MUST start with. Teach the inexperienced driver his/her truck is a tool of the trade. That it is not to be used as a weapon of aggression.

Education, education, education. All the trucking technology in the world will not teach a new inexperienced driver that safety and a respect for human life are the strongest tools of our trade.

Peace, Lightfoot

• Most wanted safety improvements for trucking   4 weeks 5 days ago

Why do drivers speed? To increase income and to cover poorly planned loads by the companies or dispatch.
    Why do we have fatigued drivers? A dispatch system that expects drivers to work during the day on one day and at night on the next. The good old boy system of expecting drivers to log off-duty while waiting to load, unload, or for their next dispatch. Dispatch system that expects drivers to run 11 hours straight with only a half hour break with no meal breaks or you get a message from dispatch to why you stopped when they check your OBC. A dispatch system that is only worried about miles covered per day or hour with no insight on safety. A bonus system for dispatchers that pays more for more miles per truck per day with no regard for safety. Very few rules for dispatchers to handle a driver that calls in and is too sick or tired to drive, except to say the load has to be there on time.
    Trucking companies, shippers, and receivers DO NOT want safe drivers. They DO NOT want drivers that will stop when too tired or sick to drive.
    They DO NOT want drivers that will stop when the roads are slick.
    They DO NOT want drivers that will log legally by the FMCSA rules.
    They DO NOT want drivers that will refuse to drive unsafe or illegal trucks by FMCSA rules or laws.
    Want to increase safety. Increase pay for drivers per mile pay. Pay drivers for detention time. Pay drivers to park when too slick to travel. Punish dispatchers for dispatching an illegal load. Punish safety managers for allowing illegal trucks on the road. Jail time for safety managers and CEO's when a fatality accident is caused by a driver that has a record of running illegal logs or equipment. Instead of putting all of the blame for accidents on drivers find out how dispatch and the safety department allowed the driver to be unsafe. Merry Christmas to all.

• Most wanted safety improvements for trucking   4 weeks 5 days ago

Part of being the SAFE driver is to actually look for and give extra room to those who aren't being safe. Certainly, you don't have to yield to someone who has a red light to your green light but if you see a potential problem coming at you , wouldn't you do what you can to avoid it ?

When you see a Road Rage situation , keep your distance and just avoid it altogether. It isn't a matter of fault, it's a matter of being safe and not getting into an accident.

When you see a tailgater or a Reckless/Careless Driver, let them go. It is better than they get past you and move on in traffic than you try to deal with them on your own.

Certain drivers don't care and seem to have their own set of rules. Good , safe drivers don't let themselves get tangled up in these peoples lives. Get over, get back and don't get drawn into what could be an unsafe and unhappy ending.

Know you did the right thing by being even safer than the other driver. You will be rewarded with fewer ( and hopefully no) vehicle incidents. At the end of the day , you will have done YOUR part to make the roads a better place regardless of other less than safe drivers.

Andy Blair dotinspector@gmail.com

• Speed limiters: State agencies question federal role, safety, roadside details   4 weeks 5 days ago

There is tremendous wisdom and common sense in the state comments. A one size fits all speed limiter setting is just plain bureaucratic nonsense. Among other problems, it fails to do anything to increase safety on busy inner-city interstates where 55 might be more appropriate. Having a truck cruise at a low enough speed to help safety on typical busy sections of four-lane interstates implies a ridiculously low, traffic-clogging, churning-causing speed on faster, emptier open roads. Unless the limiter is flexible and changes its setting according to the posted speed limit, the whole concept must be abandoned. Only an bureaucrat who spends his whole life behind a desk would ever impose such a problematic regulation.

• Speed limiters: State agencies question federal role, safety, roadside details   4 weeks 6 days ago

In states where posted truck speed limits are 65+ mph are frustrating and unsafe for a driver with a truck that will only move at 62mph. Tailgating and unsafe passing practices tend to increase with increased posted speed limits.

It seems a limiter mandate at this point in the game is putting the cart ahead of the horse. Many trucking companies have voluntarily installed speed limiters to a whole fleet. Some as low as 60mph. Trucking companies should not be allowed lower fleet speeds to any less than 68mph.

An almost exponential increase of the number of trucks in the US and an increased population of inexperienced drivers indicates a dire need for more state and federal control.

Start with driver education. 4 weeks "training" is simply not enough time. Safety is paramount. And a genuine concern for public safety on the highways. Limiters increase fuel mileage and aggressive driving.

Peace, Lightfoot

• Married team truckers jailed after baking soda wrongly tested positive as cocaine   4 weeks 6 days ago

cjones53....there is no taste test for drugs. That was something seen on TV but it is not real life.

• Married team truckers jailed after baking soda wrongly tested positive as cocaine   5 weeks 2 days ago

I want to know how in hell you mistake baking soda for cocaine. I've never tasted cocaine but I'm pretty sure it doesn't taste anything like baking soda.

• Retention: It’s not just a trucking problem   5 weeks 3 days ago

Great article. The companies that solve their retention challenges also solve their recruiting challenges. We are seeking driver Recruiting and Retention Managers that want to beta test a brand new product that deals specifically with improving driver retention. Email cdlapply@outlook.com for details.

• BMW, Toyota, and diesel   5 weeks 3 days ago

BMW is one of the most iconic car and has extra ordinary features. It depends on the people to choose their own cars and maintain properly. BMW features are cruise control, reverse controlling system, airbags, defogger, Anti lock braking system, head restraints, traction control, adjustable comforts etc. BMW is specific for its features and its driving is smooth. I am having a BMW car since 5-6 years. I feel comfortable while driving my car as it is the lightest car. When I have purchased my car first I have taken for a test drive there I got my car little crashed. So I have given it to the BMW Service Oxnard for repairing as its servicing is on time and price is less than other.

• Is the technician shortage becoming a catastrophe?   5 weeks 4 days ago

You are absolutely correct, I was and adjunct instructor for 12 years and to keep enrollment up they wanted us to coddle students instead of teaching the skills needed. As well the recruiters from various outfits filled the heads of students with visions of grandeur.

• Diesel technicians: Is the shortage real?   5 weeks 4 days ago

I am a tech of 25 years and a shop owner for 15 of those. I have hired many techs some of which didn't deserve the title and others I hated to see go. As a tech yes I've spent 100k on tools and as an owner I've spent 200k on technology scanners,programming equipment etc, and every new tech has cost money to bring them up to speed more than they would make back in there given time employed. Older experienced techs seem to lack the drive to continue the learning required to keep up with the times. Please keep in mind this is not a blanket statement for all techs regardless of experience. But I've tried the buying lunch, steak dinners, spending time after hours to boost confidence, giving money to help out for bills when "things happen" and none of these have netted gains in performance or abilities. I've overpaid techs and still to no avail. Keep in mind I have no issue paying someone for an excellent skill level, but I have yet to see the skill level needed to deserve paying 50k a year yet. The vocational schools, tech colleges, and universities are all lacking in the teaching of skills needed to allow students to perform at a level commiserate to what the industry requires. Even the computer diagnostic skills that most believe the newer guys are so good at fail miserably when put into functional practice.
    I don't know what the answer is and I'm open to suggestion. Economics dictates how much a tech can earn and if they are unable to produce enough the money can't be paid in wages to necessitate paying more than they can make in billable hrs. As well customers will not pay for repairs that won't fix they're vehicle, truck or equipment. I wish I had the solution for everyone but til then its business as usual.

• Scarcity of specialty technicians growing in trucking   5 weeks 4 days ago

It doesn't help that they teach kids in high school that it's their God-given right to attend the best college and to look down their nose at blue collar jobs.
    They get their $250k in loans and party for 4yrs a liberal arts major only to get out of school and find there's only four jobs at the State Dept and 35 thousand applicants. They're jobless have the student debt to pay and living in Dad's basement. The world should pay their debt and give them a job with an excellent wage.
    Until that problem is solved, you can forget about finding shop help

• Speed limiter comments (Part 1): Fleets support concept, critical of rule's execution   5 weeks 5 days ago

In this day and age, with the number on vehicles on the road and the way the motorist in the automobiles and small trucks (vans, pickups, suvs and such) drive and don't pay attention to what they are doing by texting and everything else they do. Limiting only the speed of trucks is going to kill a lot more people then it will save. I've driven Tractor trailers and motor coaches for 44 years off and on. For 20 years I was a police officer with the last 14 as an advanced accident investigator. Over 95 % of the large truck involved accidents I investigated found the automobile driver was the cause of the accident. This was due to excess speed on the cars part or inattentiveness on the cars operator part.(texting, on phone, eating, reading, putting on make up. etc.) I feel the big fleets are trying to run the owner operator and small fleets out of business by pushing the agenda as described in the article above. They don't pay well, they lie to prospective employees; with their drive the big rigs make big money. 600 to 800 a week is not big money when you have to send money home and buy food, showers, clothes and other things on the road. enough said!

• Combating rate volatility in trucking   5 weeks 5 days ago

A future launch. From what I have gotten they have all the technical and regulatory pieces in place and the launch of the Exchange will take place in 2017.

As I talk to people the biggest misconception is that if you short (sell) a market for say June, that you would have to deliver that capacity. It is cash settlement.

Example: say you short Chicago to Atlanta @$1.50 for the month of June. When June comes and the Market Price Index (not sure how that is defined yet) is at $1.40 then the buyer would settle and owe you $.10. But the reverse can also happen. If the rate is $1.60 then you would owe the buyer $.10.

If you want to really understand what is happening here is go and study Futures Trading and how to use it to hedge against price risk.

• Six tips for getting the most out of your maintenance program   5 weeks 5 days ago

It seems like no matter how well you follow PM's and other maintenance, you get dinged on roadside inspections. As a former DOT Officer I know because I was the one who found and wrote these things up. Now retired, I can help you with your Vehicle Maintenance issues by coming to your yard and doing the exact same Level 1 inspection that I used to do.

I still do the thorough around and underneath inspection I always did but no longer do I write tickets, put trucks OOS or cause expensive roadside delays. I can help you do occasional checkups on your fleet and that will get you some better CSA scores.

I am here to help your company do better and I have the background and experience to do it.

Andy Blair dotinspector@gmail.com

• Lubricants: A New Dawn   5 weeks 6 days ago

Thanks for all effort made to take care of costs and nature.

• Married team truckers jailed after baking soda wrongly tested positive as cocaine   6 weeks 2 days ago

As a retired Police/DOT Officer this is just plain BAD. These people were wronged in so many ways under the color of justice. Farmerjk said it well. Their hopefully will be a FULL investigation by a state or Federal Law Enforcement Agency with a significant outcome. Chances are, things like this have happened before from this same agency. I also read it took an additional month to get their truck back !

Fort Chaffee is a National Guard Training Base.

2010 Fort Chaffee Fire and Police Chief - terminated.
    2013 Fort Chaffee Fire and Police operating on limited staff.

Officers are something like armed guards with authority only on the base. They didn't even have any drug detection kits and had to ask a neighboring ( real ) Police Dept to do the testing. Even that was a failure. These drivers are going to be well compensated when its all over.

• The Big Question: Cameras on the Driver or Not?   6 weeks 2 days ago

Gerald, you not alone in this situation. I myself have had both facing cameras, I am all for forward facing cameras, even side facing, driver facing, no. All it gives is the power to a company to micro manage a driver to death, and try to complain about everything a driver does, I have only been driving 11yrs, I am not perfect by any means but I never had any discipline by a company except one with the rear facing camera. I have been wrote up on many different areas, like having a Bluetooth on, which is legal and companies call you all the time, having a soda in the cupholder, or smoking a cig, to not having my hands at 10 and 2 at every moment, and having the radio on at a modest level. Companies that can get that 8 sec loop study every thing about you and what is around you, and forget that you are human and not a robot. They tend to forget if all you did was stare out the windshield in complete silence for hours on end, it creates boredom and then fatigue itself.

If this is true its a shame it happened,but I do believe there is more to the story.i was in law Enforcement for 27 years ,I learned there are 3 sides to every story ,My side,Your side and the truth

• Autonomous trucking: In search of answers   6 weeks 3 days ago

An "autonomous" truck is in some ways similar to an aircraft with autopilot engaged. The pilot (or co-pilot) is still in the cockpit - monitoring the flight progress, fuel consumption, weather, other aircraft, etc. So, do you count his HOS as the time he actually manipulated the controls during take-off and landing? I suspect that the air industry counts all of the flying hours PLUS pre- and post-flight activities. You might discount hours that the truck driver is not actually at the controls, but they do count for at least a portion of the on-duty time. It's not like he/she should be sleeping or watching a movie while the truck is operating in autonomous mode.

• Low viscosity lubes - Just do it   6 weeks 3 days ago

CK-4 oils are fully backwards compatible, just not to 2010 models. Please see API website or diesel oil matters.

• Combating rate volatility in trucking   6 weeks 4 days ago

Would like to get a better feel for the process both for Curiosity and for education of others as this was Posted in RPMM. I reached out, no one answered the phone and no one called back.. Is this a Future launch? a Concept? or an Actual Business?

• Court gives ELD rule the green light   6 weeks 5 days ago

what green light?

• Suggesting 60-68 mph, FMCSA, NHTSA propose truck speed limiters   7 weeks 16 hours ago

NO NO NO NO leave us alone limit the cars out there.