Recent comments

• Married team truckers jailed after baking soda wrongly tested positive as cocaine   7 weeks 1 day ago

This is an outrage!!! There must be something that can be done legally to bring these law enforcement thugs to justice.
    This should also be headlines in every paper in the country and on every news website. Those who did or in anyway condoned such action should be held accountable and restitution made along with job lose for those that did this. I support our law enforcement officers for they have a job to do, but not when they act as criminals themselves. Our citizens are supposed to be treated innocent until proved otherwise. They are also to have speedy due process with access to legal representation. None of this appears to have been the case.They should also be able to expect that their property will be protected while held by law enforcement. In too many instances our protectors have become our enemies, this is wrong.

• MaxxForce 13 engine available to emergency vehicle market   7 weeks 2 days ago

International Maxxforce engines should be banned from being used in emergency response vehicles ! Bad enough that these vehicles log more miles on the back of a tow truck and more hours running frequent regens ( because of the oil and soot buildup in the exhaust from turbos passing oil, leaking EGR coolers dumping coolant into the exhaust, plugged / leaking Aftertreatment Fuel Injector not allowing regen to complete ) but then, you want to sell these JUNK engines in an emergency vehicle that WILL inevitably break down or derate the engine power during an emergency response. It's a good thing ( at least ) that Navistar chose to NOT manufacture commercial aircraft engines !

• International offers efficiency guarantee   7 weeks 2 days ago

OMG, this article is absolutely hilarious ! I wish I had known about these articles when they were "breaking news" so that my comments would have been more relevant and, hopefully, would have saved some unsuspecting fleet owner or owner operator from buying these engines which, are to this day what they were then -- Worthless junk that attaches itself to your bank account like a giant leech and sucks every dime from your account.
    As a highly trained and seasoned International dealership technician, I can attest that these engines NEVER leave our dealership for more than a few days at a time before they come right back with yet another problem -- leaking High Pressure fuel pump diluting fuel and reducing lubricity ( BAD for critical internal engine parts ), the rising oil level then gets scavenged by the ( now poorly lubricated ) dual turbochargers which sprays the oil through the charge air cooler , intake system and downstream to the exhaust. The constant oil mist, combined with the EGR continues to build up a thick pastey sludge and which costs THOUSANDS of dollars to repair, clean and replace damaged, worn, plugged and contaminated parts !
    Way to go Navistar ! Bait someone to buy this junk with the promise of a $1000 fuel card because they won't be buying much fuel with the truck constantly broke down on the side of the road, being towed to a repair facility and sitting in a service bay waiting for the endless barrage of time-suck tests to be performed to replace yet another __________________ ( Fill in the blank ) that is also on National Backorder because you can't make enough replacement parts fast enough to match the speed of their failure !

• Trucking can learn from the auto industry   7 weeks 5 days ago

Cars have gotten progressively lighter in weight over the years,so smaller engines can be used.Yes technologyhas produced more hose power and torque from smaller ,lighter powerplants.
    Trucks have tried for years to achieve lighter and lighter weights.
    What is the result?
    Shippers load heavier loads and gross weight is still 80K.
    For years I've read road test after road test with the reports of better mpg.
    Look closer at the reports.

How many test are in are in real world conditions?
    80K westbound on I70 from Baltimore to I 15 ?

• Trucking can learn from the auto industry   7 weeks 5 days ago

Michael,

I do not think that you or those in charge of trucking in the US should take much score by what the figures say about cars and cutting emissions.

I have a 7 seater Multi Purpose Vehicle, the government testing figures read 72 miles per gallon (imperial) and yet the trip computer shows a consistent 47.8 mpg average on a instantainious read out.

If those same government test, which show 72 mpg are used ti indicate CO2 and other emissions then they will be way out by 33% or there abouts.

Waste of time and they want now to be in charge of on the vehicle testing at great expense, why not just complete a few thousand miles in real time and make use the trip computer. No need for special equipment that they can fix, lets have it real.
    Al Scott UK

• Pros outweigh cons for 68-mph limit on speed governors   7 weeks 5 days ago

Oh yeh, forgot to mention one thing. "We're gonna extend your day, make your job this much harder to accomplish so we're gonna bump your pay up an average of $10k a year. Said no owner or pork belly corporate boss ev-er!!!

• Pros outweigh cons for 68-mph limit on speed governors   7 weeks 5 days ago

“But data shows that speed kills"

Do people actually believe this drivel? At what point does speed kill? 100mph? 200mph? 500mph? How do NASCAR drivers survive?

Inattentive driving kills! The 300 different alerts that are now put in trucks to take your attention off the road kills!

Just saying speed kills is an egregious statement that comes no where near addressing the problems of the road. Nobody, from the beat cop patrolling to the most self important politician, knows how to address the "inattentive driver" so they just say "speed kills" and hope the problem will go away or find another rule, law, regulation totally unrelated to the issue just to say " look at me...look what I did".

Let me say this. If you hit a wall at 55mph or at 75mph in a truck your just as dead.

• Trucking can learn from the auto industry   7 weeks 5 days ago

Mike, as a technology innovator, manufacturer, and vendor of fuel and tire saving technologies, we appreciate your comments. No one in our industry, regardless of political view, wants to spend more on fuel versus less. No one wants more pollution versus less.

Fleets are rightly skeptical when we as vendors approach them with claims - they've seen a lot of 'snake oil' come across their desks. We appreciate your service to the industry as an unbiased beacon for improvement.

Bob Montgomery
    VP STEMCO Innovative Tire & Mileage Solutions

• Trucking can learn from the auto industry   7 weeks 5 days ago

Agree with Mike USA Trucking can catch on to the Auto industry and to the Europe and Japanese trucking industry, technologies are available today to raise the national fuel economy and reduce GHG. Like the Auto industry, Trucking will benefit from incentive program like Cash for Clunkers. Many truckers will love to get better MPG, but they can't afford a new truck. They love their payment free truck. Rgds Mario Sanchez-Lara

• Mitigating the weather’s impact on trucking   7 weeks 6 days ago

We need to talk! There's a few of us that work through scanners & twitter during bad weather or hazardous events....maybe we could work together & get a solid system put together.

• The weak link in cybersecurity: Your own workers   8 weeks 3 days ago

So, the bottom line of this article is that "human element" is the "weakest link" and .... burdensome liability (?)

• Court upholds dismissal of driver for refusing carrier-requested sleep study   8 weeks 4 days ago

As a company owner, I can see the professional side of the Carrier. We are the ones who put a driver behind the steering wheel, and we are the one accountable for drivers mistakes, we have the right to required drivers to be in good health. It don't matter if you have a medical card. I had a driver who passed a DOT drug screen and was always kind of funny. After 2 months, I decided to talk to my attorney and have a meeting with the Dr. who gave him the medical card. We all together talked to Quest LAb, and find out the driver was abusing pain killers, but because he had a medical order, he was :legal", No, he was not legal. It is against the law to drive under pain killers effects. Results? Driver got fired and after a while, he went to rehab. The same thing happens with Sleep abnea. I had another driver that I was worry about his physical conditions, and after I supended him and gave him 30 days to take care of sleep abnea study, he went to doctor, an realized how sick he was. Consequences? He is enjoying better life conditions. After he came back to work, he thanks me for been so pushy and having see the doctor.

• Car connectivity creating driver concern   8 weeks 5 days ago

While driving a car we must focus on drive. We must be alert while driving a car and focus on the road. Car accidents are common now a days. We must be conscious while driving and obey the traffic rules. Road traffic crashes are one of the worlds largest injury problem. Driving is not only the cause for road accident. It also depends on the construction of road. Many roads have been damaged in the rainy season. Most of the people die due to accident for this reckless driving only. We must know to drive car properly. Self driving is the best way to save your own life.

• Suggesting 60-68 mph, FMCSA, NHTSA propose truck speed limiters   8 weeks 5 days ago

Speed limiters Will not Save Lives
    How Dumb are these people
    Look for more highway crashes road rage with cars who drive reckless around trucks now.
    30 years of driving I've never had a crash because of speeding
    I received more tickets from driving a truck with governor on it due too not paying attention boredom . when I have full control of my semi I'm more n charge.....when will drivers stop allowing these companies n agencies to treat them as emotionless ROBOTS

• How long should you keep your assets?   8 weeks 6 days ago

"...aided by government regulations..." I'm not sure the correct word was used here since most "aid" by the government comes in the form of edicts made by bureaucrats.

• Analysis: U.S. lagging behind in on-time deliveries   9 weeks 3 days ago

Good information but needs a bit more clarity.
    Is this MADD (mutually agreed upon delivery date) or CRD (customer requested date)?
    Those two factors alone can be 10%+ off from one another.

Any reasons given for why late? Perhaps a Pareto chart?

• New overtime regulations: Are you ready?   9 weeks 4 days ago

We did a webinar on this subject last week as well. Email me at mritzema@truckingpayroll.com if you'd like the slides or have questions.

• Suggesting 60-68 mph, FMCSA, NHTSA propose truck speed limiters   10 weeks 2 days ago

As an over the road truck driver I oppose speed limiters on heavy trucks for safety reasons. I recently had a new ecm installed and they mistakenly put on a limiter and I almost wrecked after the first 5 miles when I stopped accelerating as I was passing in front of another semi truck and lost momentum. I was unable to accelerate out of danger and the lack of the ability to get up past the limited speed put me and the motoring publics life at risk. I do not want to be on the road with trucks impedeing traffic either. Cars that rear end slow moving trucks usually die at high speeds. Speed limiter regulations are a very bad idea on the face of it and should not be made into law.

• Will trucking find the going easier under Trump?   10 weeks 4 days ago

Hopefully he will look at doing away with the EPA, an unneeded scourge on the land. Then tell the folks at CARB that it's time to get in line with the United States, The United States does NOT have to get in line with them.

Back to reality...

Maybe just a slowdown in the crushing regulations, that would help.

Truthfully, I don't care if Amtrack doesn't get $6bil a year. I don't care if Joanie liberal arts major doesn't get get $2.5mil to study sleep habits of truckers. We have gone so far backwards from 1975 it's pitiful

• Autonomous 101   10 weeks 5 days ago

I'm a 30 year old LTL driver with 8 years of experience. I must admit that seeing this technology coming makes me want to go back to school and find a new career. I enjoy what I do, but I don't want to be obsolete in my forties or fifties. I'm glad I have time to consider my options.

• Court upholds dismissal of driver for refusing carrier-requested sleep study   10 weeks 5 days ago

" Parker signed the agreement after he had been working for Crete for several years."

Like many other new regs, John or Jill are given the option to sign this new rule or yer fired. Many people are unable to sleep with a lot of garbage hooked up to them. Many people can't sleep on what amounts to an Army cot.

As I write this I'm reading an article below....

"Driver shortage remains bleak "

Gee, I wonder why?

• Q&A: Reckoning with roadside repairs   10 weeks 6 days ago

All of this is good AFTER the fact. What do you do BEFORE these things happen ? Of course a GOOD pre and post trip is helpful but also having a third party source come in and " pre-inspect" your fleet on an occasional basis will let you know how good of a job your drivers and mechanics are at doing their inspections / PM's.

As a former DOT roadside inspector, this is what I do. I can do a full inspection on trucks and trailers on an occasional basis to do a " safety checkup" of your fleet as well as show drivers / mechanics what to look for from the roadside inspector's point of view.

Andy Blair dotinspector@gmail.com

• Court upholds dismissal of driver for refusing carrier-requested sleep study   10 weeks 6 days ago

I have Sleep Apnea, and it's not due to BMI Issue. It was discovered
    when I was having out Patient surgery.I am also an X Driver, so this hit's home on many level's for me.This Industry is a Tough Life Style.Carrier's are protecting themselves, up to a Point, in treating a Possible Sleep issue, while the Scheduling, HOS, play, in my opinion, a much larger role in the lack of Productive sleep..

• Astrata Group integrates with Paragon Software   11 weeks 1 day ago

Good one!

• Court gives ELD rule the green light   11 weeks 5 days ago

Ooida member and elog runner, suck it up boys it's not that bad, are you afraid you will have to start playing by the rules? You probably should have been all along, I love my elogs and wouldn't go back to the book, it just takes a little pre-planning on the drivers part