Recent comments

• XRS tabs Capella Learning Solutions for educational programs   5 weeks 4 days ago

None

None

• Truck parking crackdown spurred by political donor in North Carolina   5 weeks 6 days ago

Read the comment above yours. Please think HARD before commenting. They do not want to be parked there, they would rather be elsewhere, if there was anywhere else to go.

• No place to park   6 weeks 12 hours ago

EVERY solution mentioned in this article is failing to address the issue! THERE ARE 3.2 MILLION TRUCKS AND A little over 300, 000 PARKING SPOTS! You can't put 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag!.

• The Case FOR Cameras on the Driver   6 weeks 13 hours ago

It's nice to see honest comments get deleted.

• No place to park   6 weeks 13 hours ago

So it just took me a half hour to get logged in cause I forgot my password. Why would you keep this article a secret? Shouldn't this info be public knowledge?

• The Case FOR Cameras on the Driver   6 weeks 18 hours ago

Imagine that; the CEO of a company selling said cameras telling us why they are a good idea. A typical fertilizer salesman with a mouth full of samples.

• Do your drivers hate their PAP machines?   6 weeks 21 hours ago

I am a driver, and have sleep apnea, I'm one of the oddballs that don't fit what was considered the typical person to have sleep apnea at 5'9" tall and 165 lbs I was far from overweight.
    I never disclosed my condition at my medical examination and always passed with a 2 year card in hand, I was seeking treatment, but could never tolerate the mask long enough to hit the 70% usage, I tried everything my doctor recommended, nothing including surgery worked, until last year, I now have the Inspire implant to treat my sleep apnea, and I feel great and am sleeping like a baby for the first time in years, I do believe there should be testing for sleep apnea across the board, but with that, their also has to be reasonable time frames wrote into the regulation, 90 day card to get tested and start treatment if needed and a year card on the first follow up, then if the person is compliant, and over the 70% useage there should be no reason they don't get a 2 year card, sleep apnea is a serious condition, but anyone who is being successfully treated wouldn't abandon their treatment.

• Debate continues over CDL training time minimums   6 weeks 1 day ago

Could simulators be included in the 30 hours BTW? What about including them in refresher or remediation training?

• Q&A: When a move to smaller engines makes sense   6 weeks 1 day ago

The key is TORQUE. Fleets want light weight,and lower price. Fleets spec for higher payloads Without torque drivers will be sitting in the right lane, creeping up hills wasting time and burning fuel.. If a Truck is spec'd this way resale value is significantly diminished.

• CVSA’s 2016 Roadcheck puts emphasis on tire safety   6 weeks 1 day ago

Companies / Drivers should bone up on the FMCSA tire violations , especially the Out of Service Criteria. The only change in tire violation for the 2016 Out Of Service is any object that is stuck between dual tires, this now an OOS. Beyond that , remember that the minimum tread depth on a steer tire is 4/32 and a non-steer tire is 2/32.

• Debate continues over CDL training time minimums   6 weeks 1 day ago

So 24 of 26 groups involved in the process determine that 30 hours BTW is a good number, yet the ATA feels their position outweighs all the others? 30 hours is the minimum that should be required, 60 would be more like it. Many states require more than 30 hours BTW to get a car license, the standards for a CMV should be higher.

• FMCSA takes 'first step' to sleep apnea rule   6 weeks 2 days ago

thanks for your comment as my daddy said follow the MONEY

• Do your drivers hate their PAP machines?   6 weeks 2 days ago

it is a scam the only people that feel better is the Dr. that sells it to you and all the people that are making money off of it
    I have been on it for 6 mouths and it has done nothing but cost money my sleep has been the worst of my life if you need good but they are shoving this thing down every face
    I have taken two sleep studies they were all over the place high and low
    just like my daddy said follow the MONEY

• Debate continues over CDL training time minimums   6 weeks 2 days ago

never thought in my life I would disagree with the ATA ,are you kidding the more time a student spends BTW the better prepared they are to deal with the problems they encounter on the road

• Do your drivers hate their PAP machines?   6 weeks 3 days ago

I have worn a mask for the past 34 years. I do not lie down without putting on the mask. I have found that the Nose Pillows are more effective than the face masks and provide the required assistance during an event. For me that is about 100 per night.

• Your April 11 Pre-Trip: What commercial drivers conceal   6 weeks 3 days ago

May 14 of 2016 will be the two year mark since the Medical Card rule changed. Up until 5-14-14, a driver could get a DOT physical from just about any medical professional. On 5-14-14, the rule changed to only Federally Registered Medical Providers can do the checkups.

Now that the last of the " unregistered" DOT physicals are about to expire, be very cautious of a current or new driver who gets his own physical. Make sure that the medical professional listed on the card is on the FMCSA list found on their website as the National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners.

You may wish to even call them to verify that your driver DID get his physical there. Drivers who cannot pass a physical may go to extremes to make up a fraudulent card. If they get caught, they will be put OOS and you as a carrier may well be penalized for not checking.

Andy Blair
    Dotinspector@gmail.com

• Do your drivers hate their PAP machines?   6 weeks 3 days ago

First of all I am a driver, getting tested and receiving my CPAP machine was the best thing ever. I now enjoy restful sleep and wake up with energy. The biggest issue that I have found is the difficulty finding machines with a humidifier; then, finding one with a reservoir to hold enough water for the night. Using A/C or heat in the bunk dries the air out terribly. I have an older machine that I use with a large reservoir, but is unable to give reports that are needed for DOT. My newer machine will generate the reports, but needs refilled at least once over night.
    How often the OSA test is needed is key, it is expensive and time consuming. I was told that my large tonsils are the cause of my OSA. I cannot understand why a driver would not use this technology to ensure a good nights sleep, but I don't feel that I should suffer through all of the proposed extra steps every year to be certified because of another driver doesn't use his PAP properly.

• Truckers skeptical about new driver training proposal   6 weeks 4 days ago

training today is better than ever. You can pull up most anything on the internet and YouTube has some great stuff available.(amongst the junk) Anyone hiring a driver should ask a candidate just what has your training consisted of, when did it happen, can you varify it, and who provided it. A road test of one hour would reveal a lot and a short but useful knowledge test can really help seperate the wheat from the chaffe ! Training should be performance based and not timed based. Carriers should be helpd accountable as to how they vetted a candidate and courts should hold those who didn't to the fire.

• Truck parking crackdown spurred by political donor in North Carolina   6 weeks 4 days ago

Sooo, rather than finding a solution, and offering that solution to drivers, you wake them up, and cute them, based on false data corroberation, and send them on their way?? Political donor or no, Look for a Means to provide ample, Safe Parking for truckers, rather than whine and complain, saying, "They're an eyesore". Putting on a B****-fest never solves the problem. Working together towards a better end for all parties, on th other hand, takes initiative, patience, and cooperation. All the ticket - fest by the state police did, was make a bunch of drivers that much more disrespectful of the complaintant, and the police.

Regardless of the source or motivation of the crackdown the fact remains that this is an illegal practice which can create a potentially fatal crash.
    I have to agree with the highway patrol that even one death is too many when the potential can be avoided by compliance with the law.
    I find it curious that the reporter chose to slant the article toward justifying violating the law.

• Do Your Pre- and Post- Trip Inspections the Right Way   6 weeks 6 days ago

Great Article!

• Truck parking crackdown spurred by political donor in North Carolina   6 weeks 6 days ago

NC should invest in creating some additional parking areas for truckers. They don't park on ramps because it is a great, peaceful place to take their breaks. They park there because there is no other place to park. It's only going to get worse. Maybe those political donors should start a campaign to finance new rest areas by making the first donation!!!

• Measuring the cost of weigh station stops   6 weeks 6 days ago

Drivers/companies need to pay attention to their BASIC scores in Safersys.org. When they start to see certain violations / scores on the rise....ACT and do something about it.

One bad inspection is not going to sink the ship but repeated violations will cause scores to climb and make you more attractive to getting stopped. As a former DOT officer, I used the Safersys scores a lot in determining who to inspect. If a company has pretty good scores, I was LESS interested. If they had high scores, THEY were coming in for some quality creeper time.

• Diesel, DEF prices stay steady while gasoline spikes   6 weeks 6 days ago

If this is going to keep going on a lot of problems are to arise and I am sure that all this price rise shall also result in a difficult time for average families to survive too. Coz no matter what the salaries are not hiking. :::