Recent comments

• Financial security and the driver shortage   4 weeks 1 day ago

The trucking industry is relying on millennials to "save the day"? God help us!

• FMCSA shuts down Wyoming Trucking Company   4 weeks 2 days ago

Company has 6 trucks and 4 drivers.

4 truck inspections , 3 were OOS
    3 driver inspections , 2 were OOS

One of the inspections

No CDL
    Suspended CDL
    No triples endorsement
    No medical card

Another inspection
    No brake lights
    Bad brake linings
    flat tire
    20% or more brakes out of adjustment

• Ford recalls trucks with 6.0L diesel engines   4 weeks 2 days ago

The Ford dealership charged me almost $3000.00 to repair the things that should have been covered under the recall notices.

• Big fuel savings possible, company promises   4 weeks 4 days ago

Shame on you Fleet Owner Magazine.

• Navistar lays out its path forward   4 weeks 5 days ago

well written article. this has shown the example of relationship between tier partners. well this should be keep in mind that before the completion of accounting procedures this would not be possible.

• The Big Question: Cameras on the Driver or Not?   4 weeks 5 days ago

That is the problem with runaway profits by the insurance industry. Never enough money with management and the one percenters. Our government does not protect the hard working driver...it turns the CDL into the Criminal Drivers License. The industry has been screwing itself for as long as trucking has been around. Just look at The Federal Labor Standards Act. It does not guarantee an hourly wage to drivers...since 1938. No overtime guarantee, so the moaning and crying about the driver shortage will escalate, as management continues to treat drivers like criminals, when for profit's sake,, you didn't train the drivers right, or hire drivers that have the self discipline to do the job.

• Are truck driver-facing cameras a necessity?   4 weeks 5 days ago

Always it is about the truck driver...we are overhead to the management. 38 years here...never needed a camera looking at me to do my job right...these ATA/TCA,etc...control freaks don't trust anyone, they pay crap wages at cpm... all company drivers should be paid hourly wages AND medical benefits. I will never drive a truck with a camera looking at me or the sleeper. I do have privacy rights.

• Charm City by land and by sea   4 weeks 5 days ago

Lots of typo's in this slide show. Someone needs to edit this before it gets posted.

• Are truck driver-facing cameras a necessity?   4 weeks 6 days ago

I do agree that driver facing cameras will help with safety, as in the case of an accident, one can review that driver and see that he/she did everything they could to avoid the accident. Or one would be able to see the events that led up to the accident.
    But as a driver myself I would not like for the company to see me jamming out to “Whitesnake” or even eating a snack. But I also believe that it’s a trust issue. Many companies do not have a camera on their employee’s 24-hours a day, but they some how get their work done, right? That’s saying that the company trusts that employee to perform their task accordingly. But in the same retrospect that employee is not posing a threat to the safety of the companies assets. Such as equipment (trucks)
    Training is the cause, we do not need stiffer rules and regulations we need better training. I’m not just talking about training to handle the equipment better, but training the driver on how to behave while behind the wheel. I strongly believe that if you can change a driver’s behavior behind the wheel, you will change a driver completely and we would not even be discussing driver-facing cameras.
    Look, we have license that permits us to drive an eighty thousand pound truck down the road, many CEO’s don’t have that in their back pocket, many CEO’s have never been in a truck, even when their grandfathers started the company by driving themselves. SO, we have to understand what we can do about the problem. Be your best and be safe.

• Why driver cameras are critical: One fleet’s view   4 weeks 6 days ago

Jeff Wood is a company man who is about the bottom dollar! Outward facing cameras are more than enough to protect a good driver.
    When you are willing to give up your liberties for security, you will have neither!

• The Big Question: Cameras on the Driver or Not?   4 weeks 6 days ago

Good comments Mike. Here's my perspective. We went to eLogs back in 2010. I heard lots of "all the drivers will quit" and "no one will ever work for you". It all came to naught. I can count the number of drivers who quit over eLogs on two hands and have fingers left over. That was a fleet of 750 trucks. Most of them came back. Now they complain if they have to drive a rental without eLogs.

As for the cameras, we've had them for nearly 2 years. I have had one driver walk out of orientation over the cameras. Inward facing cameras (at least the major brand name we run) DO NOT record a driver's every move. They're event recorders. If nothing happens, nothing gets recorded.

I have many examples I could show you, but I'll give you one. A driver runs off the road and wrecks. Single vehicle accident. With outward view only, you get to see a big truck wreck in HD. Not much else. The answer you need is WHY it happened. What was the driver doing?

Inward cameras also let you coach for in-cab distractions, which I have seen lead to far more wrecks than fatigue. Cell phones, texting, reading Facebook, messing around with e-Cigs, constructing a pita sandwich - seen some pretty weird stuff over the last 2 years from 1400 drivers.

Finally, we live in a world where there are cameras on us EVERYWHERE. At the store, the gas station, the bank, the video rental joint, every government building, road intersections, schools, hotels - the list is endless. These really DO record your every move, and commit it all to a DVR.

As for how I'd like to have a camera recording my every move at work, well, we have cameras everywhere in our office for security. Doors, foyers, halls, in dispatch, in the shop, and all around our building and property outside. All recording 24/7. And I'm fine with that, because I don't do anything that would cause me concern being recorded.

• Why driver cameras are critical: One fleet’s view   4 weeks 6 days ago

If you do not have enough trust in your driver that you need a driver facing camera,why did you hire him(her) in the first place?

• Are truck driver-facing cameras a necessity?   5 weeks 1 day ago

Let's say I'm looking for a driving job and I have the option of working for Mr. Kretsinger and his fleet of driver-facing camera equipped trucks or I can work for company X with no in-cab cameras? All things being equal, which company do I choose?

I think Mr. Kretsinger will need to compensate for this monitoring equipment that could well be seen as an invasion of privacy by those being monitored.

If this technology works as Mr. Kretsinger says, perhaps he can share some of that additional profit with his drivers?

Now, let's say Mr. Kretsinger offers me 20% more wages than company X for the abilty to watch me on his video screen at will, which company do I choose now? Naturally, most drivers will reject this offer at any price but suddenly the technology seems a little more palatable.

• FMCSA shuts down North Carolina carrier   5 weeks 1 day ago

Wow;

Their Vehicle OOS rate is 75% and their Driver OOS rate is 28% !!

13 inspections with 65 violations. 22 of those 65 were OOS violations. In looking at their Safer Info, these guys were a disaster waiting to happen.

• Foxx: Speed-limiter proposal due next month   5 weeks 2 days ago

Big Richard ...

How will drivers get tickets even if they aren't speeding ?
    I understand that cars can and will always pass trucks and maybe there should be limiters on all vehicles ?!
    How will a truck use more fuel at 65 than 70 ?
    The limiters will cause more crashes because more cars will wreck trying to go around them ? ( so the answer is to let the trucks go as fast as they want so there are fewer crashes ?)

Bigger vehicles crash big when they crash. Large trucks should not have the ability to have an " unlimited" top end. Trucking is a regulated industry and non-commercial transportation isn't. Of course there are traffic laws for all but your statements don't make much sense.

I am a retired Police / DOT Enforcement Officer who now has my Class A license and conducts CDL training as well as Defensive Driving.

• Are truck driver-facing cameras a necessity?   5 weeks 2 days ago

Let's see how the office staff and Big wigs of these many companies take on carrying the the drivers daily basis when they have to do the task themselves after all the 1st class drivers refuse the substance of on board eyes and quit

• Are truck driver-facing cameras a necessity?   5 weeks 4 days ago

This has to be one of the most asinine things I have read. This dumb tard for ACT wants nothing more than to invade in privacy. I can only imagine how long this would be tied up in courts. I equate this to like having a camera in a public restroom...this is no differrent, this idiot cannot use the argument that those are company trucks. I submit that inside that cab is like a bathroom stull.. private other than probable cause from DOT or random inspection. This dude has a power ego that needs to be put down a couple notches...stupid!!!

• The biggest tax mistake fleet drivers make   5 weeks 4 days ago

As a driver, I carried a cash back,no annual fee credit card.Every penny spent on the road was put on this card and paid in full every month. At year's end I had a complete expense sheet.

• Video saved the truck driver's job   5 weeks 5 days ago

To toy with the thought of installing cameras facing driver will only amount to distrustful on the part of the carrier. It also could work against them in a suit.

• Are truck driver-facing cameras a necessity?   5 weeks 5 days ago

Couldn't disagree more with mr. Kretsinger. He is getting railroaded by the other companies and this provides for advertising of his company for more business. There is more to this argument, but I'll be good. ;)

• Are truck driver-facing cameras a necessity?   5 weeks 5 days ago

I get so sick and tired of everything that happens in the trucking industry being put on the shoulders of the drivers and then us being the ones that suffer from it due to stupid laws and regulations. How about Kretsinger putting a driver facing camera in his personal vehicle and then make public those videos. If these companies want to put driver facing cameras in a drivers truck that is having issues following th rules, getting tickets, having accidents, then fine, but don't punish everyone out here because a certain few can't do the job they were hired to do. I run my own road facing camera, but I can assure you that I will NEVER work for a company that has driver facing cameras. To me it's just a matter of principle. I have put up with a lot of changes in this industry over the past 20 plus years and this is one that will make me hang up my hat for good. You can take that to the bank.

• Are truck driver-facing cameras a necessity?   5 weeks 5 days ago

When the CEO's have the cameras on themselves all work day, I'll be glad to reciprocate.

• Are truck driver-facing cameras a necessity?   5 weeks 5 days ago

It all comes back to untrained and unquailified drivers. The industry has a shortage of drivers because of goverment regulations and there are not enough trained drivers to fill the need. A company would not have to watch their drivers if they were trained properly

• Are truck driver-facing cameras a necessity?   5 weeks 5 days ago

If you do not trust your driver enough that you must have a driver facing camera,why did you hire that driver in the first place ?

• Linking public health and transportation   5 weeks 5 days ago

This is the solution to improving the health in most of the transportation issues
    WWW.HNEDESIGN.ORG