Recent comments

• Reflections on a truck stop life   5 weeks 2 days ago

While noting the accomplishments of this man in building his empire, I can't help but feel the sadness with losing so many of the great Truckstops of the past. I have made several trips to the Mountain West and the Desert West and see a Chain truckstop where there used to be a fantastic place to stop. When I stopped by Shady Grove on IH10 west of Lordsburg NM When I saw it was boarded up, a tear came to my eye. The many little places that were good places to shower, get a nap, eat a great meal whatever are gone now. Kinda like the Walmarts and grocery chains that did in the neighborhood stores. Eh? As we drove the roads that I used to drive in a 18wheeler I would tell my grandson some of the stories of the past days and how I missed the stops of my day. We spent the night at the old Wheel Inn at Cabazon so he could see the dinosaurs. Another sad stop for me.

• It’s not just trucking that lacks skilled workers anymore   5 weeks 3 days ago

I agree on this article, every year the number of skilled workers decreases in significant numbers. Which may need for us to take action to improve services. For the old trucks that lend a lot of service in the business can be turned Cash for old trucks.

• Fleet Owner 500: America's Top Private Fleets   5 weeks 6 days ago

Impressive data on Texas.

• How truckers protect themselves on the road   6 weeks 11 hours ago

Ok Debra I see both points. I live in PA and I Carry. But you can't always control your environment or when nature calls. Last week a 51 year old truck driver in a Wisconsin rest area was beaten and robbed in the stall he was in. Apparently it's been happening alot in Wisconsin. And they are saying that these people are targeting truckers because they know most of us don't carry. I have a pit bull and she deters a lot of people from coming near my truck but if they enter the cab I have a 9mm laser site waiting for them. I've looked down the barrel of a 45 in hunts point and got robbed at the old 76 in Austintown Ohio. I got lucky but I'm not pushing my luck anymore.

• How truckers protect themselves on the road   6 weeks 11 hours ago

She's not

• Not your father’s shop   6 weeks 3 days ago

Thank you for writing this article and making some key notes regarding telematics and prognostics in the shops. I am completely baffled at how the repairs shops are ran today and how unprofessional they have become. Unprofessional that the mechanic literally came up to my driver in the driver's lounge and said "Well, we really do not know what is wrong with it but we are going to take our best guess and have the filter sent out to be cleaned. Hopefully that will be the issues." Now, this is after 6.5 hours of troubling shooting a dash SPN code 3556 defining a diagnostic P3777 and the cleaning is $2500 in itself plus the 6.5 labor charge. My driver was hot and told the mechanic to put the truck back together and when I left the shop and went down the road the codes went off and I made it home. Now you have to understand that the truck was in the same shop not more than 7 days prior where I was told over the phone the filter looked great and it didn't need a cleaning but now the same man was retracting his words to me. Not more than 5 days later the code came up again and it derated my driver to 59mph but he made it home and took it to the shop where we live and all it needed was a software update to correct the error. It was 12.5 hours of troubleshooting on my truck to figure out that the shop didn't have the updated software on their diagnostic machine and that was my fault (the driver's fault) that I had to pay all that labor for. I would really like to discuss this further with you and get some advice on what steps you would suggest I do in order to get this some attention. With the government - EPA? I have reached out to OOIDA for some information on their organization and Jim lead men to change the entire governmental regulations of interstate transport in the 70s I am pretty sure and confident OOIDA can make something spark a fire in the government here. We are not the only OO feeling this pain and taking these hits. I feel that the manufactures need to be held responsible for their DPF test systems on the 2010-2012 trucks. The shops I took my pretty blue girl to where not just the 'good ol guy's shop'. They are Peterbilt retail and mechanic shops - JX Enterprises in IN and IL along with Midwest Petebilt in Des Moines. I have lots of emails with managers and evidence of just how unprofessional and the lack of knowledge these managers and mechanics have. Where is the so called "training" that Peterbilt said they were giving to the shops? My email address is keepupenterprises@hotmail.com and I really look forward to hearing from you. I hope you have a great day.
    With kind regards,
    Jayme Andrew

• ELDs may help reshape refrigerated market   6 weeks 4 days ago

I 'm certain many "comments" are professional propaganda, or self centered people with little experience. They spout off about their limited "experiences", and assume everyone else is stupid or inept since they can't drive from NYC to Washington DC in 4 hours, or midtown LA to San Fran without a delay. There are 1000s of drivers who climb into a truck, fully loaded and fueled, press their buttons, and merrily drive 600 miles on open plains pretending to be a "old hand" because they have a "mommy" at the terminal directing their every move and thought.....even toilet visits. It would be nice if they would remain quiet, and hope people don't think they are stupid, than open their mouth and remove all doubt.

• Is the technician shortage becoming a catastrophe?   6 weeks 5 days ago

$55k a year to start is nothing but more BS!

• Driver pay, trucking’s image, and the worsening driver shortage   7 weeks 15 hours ago

The fact is, truckers get zero support from most companies (although not all). People like to point at truckers and accuse them of being "low lifers," but the reality is, the fleet owners and trucking corporations are the real culprit. It's time to take a good long hard look in the mirror for a lot of these companies to figure out that the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree.

Luckily for truckers, they're starting to take care of their own via Youtube and other internet platforms. Guys like "Red Viking Trucker," "Trucking Exec," and Jeffery Like are giving young and older truckers the help they need... and they're doing it for free on Youtube!!!

You want to attract millennial drivers? Start by embracing the good people in the industry and discard the bad ones--that goes for all the scumbag brokers and dispatchers out there and the inexperienced middle management at many of the major corps.

To the fleet owners: Pay your drivers a livable wage, offer free and advanced continuous training, treat your drivers with respect, make sure they're safe, and tell your recruiters not to lie--basically do what you say!

(Home time is not an option, it's a necessity!)

• Closer look: An electric-power truck from a global diesel leader   7 weeks 17 hours ago

Pretty cool, the future

• Why your trucks are getting inspected   7 weeks 1 day ago

As a former roadside DOT Inspection Officer, I had lots of reasons to stop trucks. I also didn't inspect every truck I stopped.

Lights not working is a common reason to stop a truck. Drivers should carry spare bulbs. A DIRTY truck can be a sign of poor maintenance. Not just unclean but DIRTY. Hit a truck wash once in a while. Do a good pre-trip and take care of things so the officer doesn't have to do it for you. Keep the inside of your cab at least reasonably clean. A trashy looking cab is another potential sign of poor maintenance. Having your current driver and vehicle documents in an easy to read setting ( ring binder) is great. Handing the officer a bunch of loose papers , especially if they are expired is just not a good start. Trucks that look good and drivers that seem to have their act together are much less likely to be stopped and than inspected than the opposite.

• OOIDA files ELD enforcement petition with FMCSA   7 weeks 1 day ago

Give it up already. No one takes OOIDA seriously anymore.

• Do trucking’s hiring processes need an overhaul?   7 weeks 1 day ago

Thanks for the informative article. As every single industry, trucking business has its own specifics in the hiring process. Thus, it’s necessary to understand what kind of workers the industry needs and wants to hire. When you know exactly what you want and need, it’s easier to make right decisions. At the same time, the industry must provide its workers with the necessary career knowledge, trainings and other professional opportunities. I think that those interested in working in the following industry may find helpful best resume writers reviews at TopResumesWriters in order to succeed.

• Full extent of damage from Hurricane Harvey remains unclear   7 weeks 1 day ago

google.com Nice Post

• New officials take leadership roles at FHWA, FMCSA   7 weeks 3 days ago

After I read Wiley's remarks on 'expanding stakeholder partnerships', which in plain English means they want more of the profiteers on board, I was going to comment........but............I............gasp.............need to go outside............and throw up in the bushes there.

• DAT data integrated with Aljex system   7 weeks 3 days ago

DAT is a really great load board. A huge lot of carriers and loads. Still we need a quick carrier vetting service to make it less old-school. The example is near - carriercheckup.com

• Could apprenticeship programs bring more youngsters into trucking?   7 weeks 4 days ago

I really appreciate this post. I’ve been looking all over for this! Thank goodness I found it on this blog . You have made my day! I think this is engaging and eye-opening material. Thank you so much for caring about your content and your readers.

• Free mobile apps from Fleet Owner   7 weeks 4 days ago

Download Fleet Owner app for Android at Tutu Helper tutu-app.com/download-tutu-helper-app/

• How to use enforcement inspection data to improve your operation   7 weeks 6 days ago

Safersys.org is a great tool to use to view your own carrier violation info and you can also check out your competition. With your FMCSA Pin# you can log in and see a great amount of information with a lookback of 24 months. The violations are broken down by category and by how many. If your trucks are having more brake issues, you will see exactly that. Use this to know where the best place to start is when reviewing vehicle maintenance procedures or for driver training. While you can see your own BASIC scores, other individuals cannot. But the public can see almost everything else including the violation history and type of violations. You cant go back and change what has happened ( unless you try a DataQ challenge) but you can use this info to do better down the road.

• Me a king of the road? 10-4!   7 weeks 6 days ago

Great article. As a Penndot 3rd Party CDL Driver Examiner, it is my job to make sure you are ready drive a CDL truck. It is not uncommon for someone to fail their CDL test and have to come back and try again ( the limit is three times). New drivers are required to do a THOROUGH pre-trip , operate vehicle controls, know how to do an in-cab air brake test, be able to do several backing maneuvers and finally, drive over the road. While it is not overly difficult, it is not a walk in the park and many have failed by not properly studying and practicing. We can now test anyone from any state which helps those who live in one state and work in another.

• “We’re all living on the Titanic now”   8 weeks 1 hour ago

Ever wondered why and how the greatest cruise liner 'RMS Titanic' sunk? Explore to know more! askopinion dot com/how-did-titanic-sink

• Real-time routing   8 weeks 17 hours ago

Perhaps states should be more proactive in creating 'mini' rest areas, places to pull off without all the glitz that some rest area buildings are constructed of. In the southwest, 20+ years ago, I remember rest stops with composting toilets and the stalls were self contained with a toilet and a hand sanitizing unit. These unit use very little or no water, are cheap to build and added to a large parking area that is well lighted will significantly affect the parking available. PA has had pulloffs tho without toilets for many years. No food? By the time you get to a TS, the crowd will have moved out for the day and there will be parking. We do it all the time. Just bring your full thermos so to start the morning right, ya know? Hope this helps

• CVSA releases Roadcheck 2017 results   8 weeks 1 day ago

Articles like these are GREAT learning tools for companies of all sizes ! It easier , cheaper ( and more fun) to learn from the mistakes of others than doing it yourself. If you have trucks that you depend on , use the info here as a guide to make sure you are doing the best you can to not add to the percentages shown. Over 14,000 trucks and 2,600 drivers were placed OOS during this three day detail. Not every violation can be predicted or caught but a lot CAN. Whether you are a one truck operation or a thousand truck fleet, safety is your job out on the roads.

• Driver pay, trucking’s image, and the worsening driver shortage   8 weeks 1 day ago

The problem with the driver shortage has nothing to do with people who want to drive. It's Big Government run amok. It is over regulation, monitoring my every move during my day. They even tell me, not the I CAN take a break, but that I MUST take a break and sit on my but for half an hour. To what end? So I can get home that much later? So I can make that much less money at the end of the day? What nitwit decided 11 hours was enough time to drive? In case you havent noticed, desk jockeys, there are 24 hours in a day, leaving an OTR single 13 hrs a day he is idle. Figure 6-7 hours to sleep, 2 hours for eating and fueling, and you're still left with 3 hours a day doing nothing. Govt policies are counter productive, and in the name of SAFETY, they have regulated us out of drivers. If I never had to drive a big rig again, I would die a happy man. And its not the driving or traffic. Or dispatch. Or the customers. Its the government. But I'm in a position of supporting a family, and I driving is the best paying job for which I'm qualified.

I'm a farrier by trade. I make decent money trimming and shoeing horses. Truck driving is a skill set I possess- I can keep it between the ditches, not hit any other vehicles, and maneuver the rig on parking lots fairly well. I show up to work on time and sober, and as such, that puts me miles ahead of the lazy bums under 30 who eant a check handed to them. I learned how to drive big rigs hauling grain for local farmers in the mid to late 90s. I agree with tomt to a point, but I'll take it farther. What the hell am I supposed to do for 13hrs a day that Big Brother isnt letting me drive? Sleep 6-7 hours, take an hour for fuel stops an eats. There is no reason I cant be on the road 14 hours a day. Why do I need a 30min "rest break" in the middle of my shift? Rest from what? Driving is not physically strenuous, so I cant be worn out from over exertion. My employer has to pay me to sit on my backside for half an hour while I twiddle my thumbs. That reduces profits, and ultimately, my pay. I have to fill out a sheet stating the hours I worked at my other job (shoeing horses) the days I dont drive. How is it the business of any damned desk jockey what I do on my days off? I dont have to fill out a sleep log (yet) when I have a 6mo old baby in the house, why do I need to tell them how many hours I worked trying to support my family? GOVERNMENT OVERREACH AND INTERVENTION into every aspect of our jobs is driving people out of the industry. If I wasnt so hard up for cash, and if it wasnt the best paying job for which I'm qualified, I'd never drive an 18-wheeler again. It has nothing to do with the dispatchers, the companies, pay, or home time. It is UNCLE SAM and BIG BROTHER.