Recent comments

• Foxx: Speed-limiter proposal due next month   9 weeks 3 days ago

this is nothing but a fu$king Joke, $$$$$$$$ that's all it = up to for these jack wagons. Wal-mart don't want us, but they want food in there stores, and on there tables. you ass hats want the same thing. well guess what you all are about to over regulate the transportation industry to the point there wont be none.... the south is flooding, folks have lost home's Job's no income. and all you can push for is this bull shit. WE need to go back to the way The Way We Were and tell you all to pack your bags we don't need you because you don't need us.

• How to fix common CPAP problems   10 weeks 17 hours ago

It is all about the MONEY
    follow the money trail once they have you your are paying for the rest of your life if it helps or not or till your money runs out

• Poll: 79% of Americans want tougher fuel economy standards   10 weeks 22 hours ago

Pollution? " and trucks are a leading source of carbon pollution" -- In high school chemistry we learned that CO2 was a product of combustion. It may also be a "greenhouse" gas. But not a pollutant until it is in a proportion high enough to make breathing difficult. And, I also recall that CO2 is part of the photosynthesis process. Surely our plants and trees don't think it is a pollutant. I think the headline and commentary are misleading and biased.

• Love’s Travel Stops opens two locations   10 weeks 1 day ago

You didnt mention the new Loves on I 49 and hwy 13, just south of Kansas City

• Love’s Travel Stops opens two locations   10 weeks 1 day ago

The one with an IHOP sounds good. I will pass the one with the McDees

• Wishful thinking   10 weeks 1 day ago

You are out of your mind. You want me to replace my 12 year old truck, for one that gets 1 or 2 mpg better. Beside the fact that I am still satisfied with my truck, did you not think about how much energy it takes to build a new pickup?

• New system designed to stop texting while driving   10 weeks 4 days ago

The technologies now days have lot improved and I am happy to read more about such technology related find outs. I was late to find this article but it doesn’t matter as the thing furnished here contains so many things to learn.

• Poll: 79% of Americans want tougher fuel economy standards   10 weeks 4 days ago

The Natural Resources Defense Council, an obscure non-profit environmental advocacy group that was given the media opportunity to babble their "agenda". And that's all well and fine.....their five minutes in the limelight.

However, the hook of the article, that 79% of Americans allegedly want tougher fuel economy standards, is a ridiculous and fictional statement.

Rarely take seriously any poll, as their minimum uses are primarily engaged in infotainment or used to shape public opinion, rather than learn from it. The questions should have included the real caveat of the negative impacts these costly regulatory burdens will have on their heavily guarded pocket books as energy, vehicle and taxes all increase to pay for the higher standards proposed in this poll. My guess is that the numbers would have dramatically changed when framed in such a realistic manner.

• Volvo Truck Market Trends Show a Shift in Age   11 weeks 1 day ago

"Volvo is one of the most popular heavy duty truck brands on the market, but due to their consistent quality and price stability in comparison to other top brands, we do not bring them into the spotlight as often as we should"

Geez Jessica, how much did Volvo pay you to say that?

The sales numbers clearly show that Freightliner, Navistar, Kenworth and Peterbilt are all more "popular" than Volvo.

Volvo.....consistent quality? Ask Volvo and Mack customers about their "consistent" injector cup woes.

Consistently sky-high Volvo spare parts pricing.......that we could agree on.

Obviously Volvo is NOT "so popular". The only brand selling worse than the Volvo brand is Volvo's Mack brand (go figure).

Class 8 Jan-May 2014 Jan-May 2016

Freightliner 35.3% 41.18%
    Navistar 15.31% 11.76%
    Kenworth 13.56% 13.92%
    Peterbilt 13.22% 13.17%
    Volvo 12.74% 9.37%
    Mack 8.08% 8.07%

• Ford ups its towing power   11 weeks 2 days ago

In Pennsylvania ( and I suspect other states) , if you pull a trailer over 10,000 lbs , your tow vehicle must have a combination weight rating that covers the weight of the truck and trailer combined. The purpose is to prevent people from pulling a large trailer with a small truck. DO you really want someone pulling a 14,000 lb trailer with a non-turbo F-150 6 cylinder ? The manufacturer sets the vehicles combination weight rating which ultimately regulates how big of a trailer you can legally pull.

In the case of this F-450 pulling a 30,0000 lb trailer. This truck would require a Class A CDL. The trailer is over 10,000 lbs AND the grand total of the combination exceeds 26,000 lbs. This pushes a truck/trailer combination like this into needing a CDL to drive it. You may want to check and see what licensing issues you may have when you buy a truck and intend to pull an over 10,000 lb trailer with it.

Andy Blair

• Q&A: Sleep apnea can heighten risks for fleets   11 weeks 4 days ago

Smh as long as were sedentary in that truck for 11 hours driving and 10 hours sleeping those problems are going to continue and we have a whole new generation coming what can really be done whats out there that will really help have impact on the present n future
    THIS is the solution

• Controlling CSA Maintenance Violations   11 weeks 4 days ago

Another option is to have a former / retired DOT Enforcement Officer do Level 1 inspections on your fleet. Nothing against any mechanic but they are not trained to look for the specific 49 CFR / OOS violations that officers are. These former officers have a wealth of information and can do inspections to find violations that will likely be found in your next roadside check. They aren't going to write citations or issue OOS orders anymore, they can help you !

This is one of the things that I do as a retired officer. I also have contacts with former officers in different parts of the US. I am located in PA but can travel as I needed.

Andy Blair. Dotinspector@

• Report proposes state exemptions to facilitate platooning, autonomous tech   11 weeks 4 days ago

How do the "platooning" vehicles deal with stop lights? I can guarantee you that a safe following distance does not affect delivery time. Drivers do not follow this rule anyway. It is a rarity to see a driver adhere to the following distance rule. It is the battle with a drivers impatience and over-expectation of other drivers that make it seem like they are being held back. I love technology, but let's say that it is our only hope. Drivers need to take more responsibility, NOW!

• J.D. Power: Fuel efficiency key metric for medium-duty trucks   11 weeks 5 days ago

• The magic and mystery of the Zipper Merge   12 weeks 21 hours ago

It doesn't work. They now tell you at constructions zones the lane ends in 4 miles. People have to stay in merging lane until end, then make everyone in open lane stop to let them in. Even if you give them a space they will pass 2 more cars and then squeeze in making everyone slow down and trucks shift back up thru the gears. They may already be in the open lane then pass (speeding no less) in the merging lane and squeeze in again. I call it illegal passing in a construction zone and wish they were given tickets. It works a lot better the way we have been zipping together before this. Of course back then people were better drivers and would drive in the right lane except to pass.

Traffic experts that thinks this is good are probably the same idiots that have designed some interchanges so poorly. They would work in a perfect world when the traffic is going where they think they will when congested and busy. The other 98 percent of the time they make the traffic flow dangerous.

I have been driving over thirty years and presently with UPS. Before that in college I studied Occupation Safety and took a lot of traffic safety courses.

• Driver rest: Topping off the tank   12 weeks 2 days ago

I just went on a vacation, drove 8000 miles from Texas, thru Sask the rest of Canada to Fairbanks & return . I was lucky enough to spend every night in a campground. Truckers cannot do that. There are very few "truck stops" in Canada & Alaska. The many rest areas and pull offs that are there are marked with "no camping or overnight parking". That is pretty much ignored out in the middle of no where but do ya get my point? It's the same down here. When you have no parking for truckers to rest, you're gonna have tired drivers, and as in the 70s...they're gonna drive tired.

I've seen this addressed on these pages before but there has been no movement to correct it so we're gonna have tired drivers.

By the way, how come everyone in the North runs around with one headlight out? The Alaska Highway trucks don't even bother changing 'em...they just add more lights. Puzzling.

• Volvo Trucks announces engine, powertrain enhancements   12 weeks 3 days ago

Volvo is not planning to commercialize a Natural Gas engine for North American market. Currently we will install the CWI IXS12G.

• Are millennials increasing risk for your business?   12 weeks 3 days ago

Seems like most points made here could apply to any generation. The one I do find unique to Millennials, their familiarity and comfort with devices (as identified by SHRM), may actually keep them from making "rookie mistakes" with technology (e.g. clicking on questionable hyperlinks, giveaways, phishing schemes, etc.). I can definitely see Millennials doing things like blogging or tweeting negative things about their employers, but this seems to be more an issue of maturity (or the lack thereof) than an actual security issue. If the ERC had discovered that Millennials are uniquely prone to doing things like posting company passwords publicly on social media or hacking into their own company's systems, I would see a Millennial-specific security threat. But just posting negative comments? Mmmm, I don't know.

• Are millennials increasing risk for your business?   12 weeks 3 days ago

Aaron: Increasing risk for your business? Well let's say more of a need for education than a risk, for without them who would we turn to to fill the voids in trucking? You, from your picture, appear to be a Gen X'er, so to my baby boomers generation we were terrified of your excessive needs, demands, work defiance, and laziness scenarios we created in our minds until we actually saw your true worth. And your generation is pretty dam good! What makes us think that the millennials won't turn out as great workers? Their use of technology? Every generation is using it, and it is transforming the world in both good and bad ways. With me being a Diesel Technology Instructor in a high school Career and Technical Institute, we see more of the positive sides of the millennials. They want successful and happy fulfilled lives with companies that appreciate them, challenge and provide feedback on their progress, and believe strongly in teamwork. Learn about them, and learn from them for they are tech savvy and know how to utilize it for a positive outcome.
    This is where Aaron, we need to direct more young people to Career & Technical Education for their high school and if needed post secondary years. Educate them in how to develop their desires and passions into successful careers. They are worth our efforts, as your generation was.

• Are millennials increasing risk for your business?   12 weeks 3 days ago

The bottom line is that it doesn't matter if they are good or bad. Eventually they will be the only option. So you can either accept it or go out of business because you refuse to change with the times. Happens all the time.

• The Big Question: Cameras on the Driver or Not?   12 weeks 4 days ago

I have been with the same company 11 yrs. We have the front and driver facing cameras. Ours come on with GeForce, so they say. If you hit a speed bump or you break to hard it captures 8 sec of video of that incident. I have never had a write up! At this job or any other job to be perfectly honest. We have a new assistant manager and he over sees the video now. It's July 2016 and I now have 2 write ups and being told a 3rd write up and I'm terminated!!
    I have a real problem with this. I've never had a ticket, never had an accident in my work truck or in my private car. This is why I've had 2 write ups, 1st one I hit my breaks to hard because a car made a sudden stop to turn because he missed his 1st Turn. Write was for following to close. 2nd write up , a car cut me off just to make a right turn into a strip mall, I hit my breaks again setting off the camera and I hit my horn. Wrote me up for following to close and honking at the car that cut me off. Management told me I'm driving a truck with their name on it and that's like a big billboard and writing me up mostly for honking. I dident yell, give the finger or anything. In my case this camera may cost me my job !!! Any thoughts on this???

• Cummins Engine Rollout: Day 2   12 weeks 4 days ago

When testing in "real world" conditions, Test in "real world" weights 80K gross, not 67K...

• Autonomous vehicles: The pushback begins   12 weeks 4 days ago

its about time we have come to our senses,it is sad someone is dead to remind us how most of this technology will not work

• ARI Driver Scorecard measures driver performance   12 weeks 5 days ago

This sounds like an excellent tool to improve the safety and efficiency of fleet operations. We use a similar tool which has been invaluable for us.