Recent comments

• A trucker's wisdom from 5 million miles and a half century on the road   10 weeks 5 days ago

As a common motorist with a CDL - I say - Great Job and Great Advice! There are many good drivers on the highway - the few bullies make a bad name for all of the good ones in public perception. It is a cliché - but defensive driving practices assure safe travel.

• FMCSA seeks ‘doable’ crash preventability assessment   10 weeks 5 days ago

The four new " exclusions" listed are great but don't go far enough. A CMV driver going through an intersection on a green gets T-boned by a car driver who ran a red light would not make this list.

What should be added is any accident in which NO violation is attributed to the CMV driver and a violation ( or violations) ARE attributed to the other driver. Most crashes occur due to simple traffic violations and are fairly easy for any officer to determine fault. The only shortcoming is the availability of a DOT Certified Officer in the event of a more complicated crash or one with CMV concerns that exceed the knowledge of CMV laws.

Andy Blair Dotinspector@gmail.com

• Senators introduce bipartisan companion truck-weight reform bill   10 weeks 6 days ago

notice there was no mention of a freight rate increase to offset the added expense of the additional axle or wear and tear on the equipment. Again the owner of the equipment is footing the bill for the shippers.

• No matter the cost of fuel, new trucks can still offer savings   11 weeks 1 day ago

I have a hard time believing that older trucks cost more to operate than new trucks loaded down with emissions.
    I own pre emission & brand new trucks. The new ones have ridiculous amounts of "down time" and 75% of the time it's "emission related".
    50% of my fleet exists of Glider trucks and have almost NO DOWN TIME... They also get better fuel milage (15+%) and the power difference is HUGE!
    Just my 2 cents but they have NOT perfected the emission systems and until they do "BUYER BEWARE"...

• Latest three sticking points to consider: Why (or why not) video?   11 weeks 1 day ago

Mr. Angel's opinion that telematics may trump driver facing video is naive. Truck drivers are just as liable to be texting, CB'ing, or engaging in other distracted behavior which telematics won't show. Professional drivers are pro's, no doubt, but the prevalence of distracted driving makes driver facing cameras essential in a proactive safety culture.

• Latest on ELD self-cert: 3 (more) things carriers need to know   11 weeks 5 days ago

Any article " selling " the ELD requirements should also include the exceptions. They are 1999 and older trucks , drivers who are 100/150 mile exempt and drivers who make some logbook runs but don't do so more than EIGHT times in a rolling 30 day period.

ELD's aren't for everybody and those that don't want / need them who qualify for the exemption should know they don't have to.

Andy Blair dotinspector@gmail.com

• Ready for the robots?   11 weeks 5 days ago

Dear Mr. Roberts:

While it is true that transportation is at a transitional stage, what you describe is only the beginning of that transitional phase. The economics of an automated transportation infrastructure is relentless, and what will begin as a supplement to human drivers will converge upon their nearly total replacement. Obviously, the transition is already upon us, with the increasing availability of automatic transmissions that you note in the above (and which "old school" drivers rightly abhor; I would never want to be on a snowy mountain pass with an automatic transmission). This part of the transition will occur rather rapidly, followed by full automation of long-distance driving over straight, flat interstate highways in the coming decades. A machine that never takes a rest room break, never stops to eat, never stops for a smoke, never goes on vacation, and doesn't need to be paid (whether hourly or by miles) sounds too good to be true from the perspective of major carriers, but that's what's coming.

Best wishes,

Nick Nielsen

PS -- I've written about this in more detail: geopolicraticus.wordpress.com/2014/01/29/autonomous-vehicles-and-technological-unemployment-in-the-transportation-sector/

• No matter the cost of fuel, new trucks can still offer savings   11 weeks 5 days ago

It is amazing to me that every fleet talks about fuel (and the price) but they never talk about how making diesel fuel quality better could save them much more money than nearly anything they try.
    I have been in the diesel fuel additive business for more than 43 years and I have seen many changes in driver training to get better fuel economy, truck engine changes to make them run better, air deflectors and cowlings to make the vehicles move through the air with less wind resistance and many other technological advances.
    I have authored numerous articles telling fleets (and fuel producers) how to make diesel fuels better, but the industry still pretty much ignores these facts.
    Any fleet that wants to save 5, 7, 10 percent and sometimes more can do that with the 'right' diesel fuel additive product custom formulated to the diesel fuel(s) being used in any area of North America. That is what we do and we can show you how if given the opportunity - guaranteed. Look us up on the web Amalgamated, Inc.
    Gary Pipenger, Owner.

• Your July 7 Pre-Trip: Charges dropped against carrier in fatal GA crash   11 weeks 5 days ago

So I guess five young girls are worth 200k now a days this is sickening

• Truck-related deaths up 4% in 2015   11 weeks 6 days ago

Make the fines larger and time longer for using hand held devices. Make them fit the crime. Slow down the traffic. Everyone is going to fast. Well over the Speed Limit.

• It’s not the size of the dog in the fight …   12 weeks 2 days ago

I read and the information seems pretty spot on.

I've been a BCO since 2003 and approved carriers have always haul +- 50% of the loads.
    What others haul I have no control over all I can do is stayed focused on my business.
    #1. Manage risk
    #2 manage cost

Key to sustaining profit is keeping cost low more than hoping for high rates that will rise up to pay your bills.

• Of Millennials and freight   12 weeks 3 days ago

Interesting, I thought it a little odd the author of the article chose to use the term "ethnic minority" rather than just "minority" so I looked up the definition to better understand the difference and according to Merriam-Webster dictionary this is a definition of "Ethnic minority":
    "a member of a minority group who retains the customs, language, or social views of their minority group."

The distinction is evident: Don't try to integrate into the society you have chosen to live in, try to assimilate it to your culture.

I don't intend to sound intolerant but moving to another country brings a certain amount of responsibility to a person to conform to your new countries culture, including the language. Retaining loyalty to your previous country does your new country a disservice. If you choose to immigrate to America then be an American.
    I have some experience with this since I lived in Japan for 3 years, the people were generally patient with me as I learned the language and I had to hire an interpreter on occasion when dealing with governmental agencies but they did not adjust their policies or practices to suit me, I had to adjust mine.

• What Goes Around Comes Around   12 weeks 3 days ago

This is a great post. Thank for share this awesome post
    www.hubnames.com
    www.masashoes.com

• It’s not the size of the dog in the fight …   12 weeks 6 days ago

I'm the owner of the Landstar NRI Agency. We do not take 3rd party freight and we post on the Landstar board with all "Y"s. We work hard to get our direct business and to keep it.

• It’s not the size of the dog in the fight …   13 weeks 1 day ago

Ok let me chime in here. I don't know what is going on here, but freight couldn't be worse. Not only is there no freight, but it's not paying well. Consistently driving 150mi for a decent paying load isn't sustainable. How can all the freight be going into horrible places? It's like Landstar is getting all the freight others don't want and it's not even their loads. Landstar on their board has shipper direct yes and no options. Essentially meaning a Landstar or a brokered load - consistently 80% or higher are brokered. That is outsourcing! All these agents are doing is reposting other companies freight. 75% of the time if you call they have to call "the customer" to then tell you the load has already been covered. Why? It wasn't their load. That is OUTSOURCING. The rates are insanely low as well. Lower than the national average and lower than even a swift or Schneider would pay an owner operator. If BCOs are so special and a higher level of everything why aren't agents commanding a higher rate??? I'll lay it out there - Why should an agent and Landstar get 30+% of the revenue for reposting someone else's load? They have no skin in the game. They can sit at home in their PJs and make money while the BCO has all the risk. A BCO can only haul Landstar freight while a Landstar agent can use anyone, give the load to anyone. That's not fair. They have no incentive to use a Landstar truck. I honestly don't think the agents have any idea what it costs to operate a truck. BCOs need to pay their salary, save for maintenance, save for the next truck, save for retirement, etc and right now you can't do that. There is absolutely no reason to keep bringing on new BCOs or agents. That last part is my favorite. "Landstar BCOs keep rolling and keep making money." I'm sorry, what planet is this??? I HATE airing dirty laundry like this, but this is serious. This is about making money and feeding families. I get what this article was, a fluff piece. It's for investor consumption, etc but Not everyone has a $4 million salary and stock options to fall back on.

• From plastic bottles to car parts   14 weeks 8 hours ago

Through recycling we are able to recycle different types of products from plastic bottles to car parts. Recycling is a beneficial process and we can take good advantage from this process and utilize our waste products again for reuse. In different countries people are taking advantage from recycling to reduce environmental pollution and also promote; so recycling is a developing concept and we take good advantage from this concept.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaTVuDeAFfc

• Study: Biggest trucking firms outsource over 42% of their freight   14 weeks 1 day ago

Given LaneAxis’ service offering and the need to differentiate themselves from their competitors it is not surprising that the thrust of their recent marketing report was that shippers could benefit from their tool’s freight management and load tracking functionality. What is surprising however, are the somewhat uninformed generalizations they make and the financial data they take out of context to make the erroneous conclusions in the report. Their contention that “the 13 biggest public (trucking) companies outsource an average of 42.29% of their freight shipments” is considerably misleading. They are making a blanket generalization that every load moved by a either a rail provider or owner-operator for these carriers is an “outsourced” load with zero visibility for the shipper as to the load’s status. This is simply incorrect. A deeper dive into the financial statistics for the thirteen carriers cited in the report and a clearer understanding of their respective service offerings is in order.

Of the thirteen-carrier sample cited in LaneAxis’ statistics the largest carriers, by purchased transportation as a percentage of annual revenue, overwhelmingly drive the stated 42.29% weighted average statistic. They are all carriers who have significant intermodal components to their business and / or who have significant numbers of independent contractor owner-operator trucks in their fleets. As such, their payments to rail providers as well as to independent contractor owner-operators running under their operating authority are considered “purchased transportation” and reported as such in public financial filings. The purchased transportation spend amounts of these carriers disproportionately weights LaneAxis 42.29% claim.

The following points provide more context and a more complete overview of the larger purchased transportation spend carriers weighting the LaneAxis sample:

• Selected J.B. Hunt financial data cited by LaneAxis shows they have an approximate 48.4% purchased transportation spend. What is not taken into consideration is that J.B. Hunt operates ~73,300 intermodal containers and corresponding revenues generated by their intermodal division comprises ~59% of their annual revenues (FY2015 Annual Report, page 47). Additionally, approximately 10% of J.B. Hunt’s fleet is comprised of independent contractor owner-operator trucks which operate under J.B. Hunt’s authority (Transport Topics 2015 Top-100 Private Carriers, both). Payments to rail providers and to the independent contractor owner-operator providers running under their authority are both recorded as “purchased transportation” per common accounting practices. Furthermore, and like all other top-tier carriers, J.B. Hunt’s in-house order management systems offer complete visibility of dispatched OTR and IM loads on these assets.
    • Selected HUB Group financial data cited by LaneAxis shows that they have an approximate 88.3% purchased transportation spend. What is not stated is that HUB operates ~28,400 intermodal containers and has a truck fleet comprised of ~59% independent contractor owner-operators (Transport Topics 2015 Top-100 Private Carriers). Again, payments to rail and independent contractor owner-operator providers are both recorded as purchased transportation, and their in-house order management systems are similarly capable of providing complete visibility and tracking of loads dispatched on these assets.
    • TransForce, Inc., a Quebec-based TL provider is cited by LaneAxis as having a 65.7% purchased transportation spend. What is not stated is that approximately 58% of their fleet is comprised of independent contractor owner-operators (Transport Topics 2015 Top-100 Private Carriers).
    • Landstar, the largest TL provider in the U.S. to operate a 100% independent contractor owner-operator fleet, with ~8,650 trucks, also has their publicly-stated purchased transportation statistic of 76.8% as part of the LaneAxis sample group’s weighted average (Transport Topics 2015 Top-100 Private Carriers).

The across-the-board generalization that the above carriers’, along with the other sample group carriers’, purchased transportation spend is solely on outside provider assets who have no order management and tracking visibility is a fundamental misunderstanding of the both the nature of these carriers’ operations and the sophistication and capabilities of their in-house order management systems.

• Speed limiter proposal stuck in slow lane   14 weeks 1 day ago

The current highway infrastructure will not support all trucks going the same speed. There is too wide of a variance that the auto traffic travels at. If all interstates were 3 lanes each direction, that may work better than only 2.

• Truckers love Weed; Weed loves truckers   14 weeks 3 days ago

Hats off to the city of Weed for being trucker-friendly. Another thing to love about California is www.besttruckdrivingjobscalifornia.com

• Physician: Trucking must get at root causes of fatigue   14 weeks 3 days ago

Damn. Where to begin on this issue. I guess I'll start with the (3) posted comments above. (Harm), I would have to say I agree with you pretty much across the board. As a driver, the ultimate responsibility falls upon us to say whether or not we are capable, rested and healthy to drive at any given moment. If we are not, then we have to communicate with our company so that alternate arrangements can be made. I've had to speak up and advise my company of either a fatigue or health issue on a few occasions. And I have always had their 100% support. (TWade), I'm with you in some respects, but not in others. I do firmly believe there's a great deal of follow the money, scamming of our industry with the whole sleep apnea mandate. BMI, while a possible Red Flag in many cases, should not be what is the be-all-end-all determining factor for whether a driver might be at risk for sleep apnea. They have it set up where they look at so many things during a test, you are bound to fail in one area or another, and then, they have you by the short and curlies with a death grip. But apnea happens to people of all shapes, weights and sizes. Including healthy looking thinner people whom BMI standards would never give a second look. Factors that should be looked at, as Red Flags are, does a driver have difficulty running a full shift daily without stopping early due to fatigue. Does the driver call in frequently and say they are too tired to make their delivery, when by all accounts, it should have been an easy run. If all that a driver is guaged by ID their BMI, then here's an interesting fact. Based on the BMI standards, Vin Diesel is considered overweight, and Dwayne The Rock Johnson is morbidly obese, by BMI measurements. Really? Yes....!!! Now, as for the first comment above by (TruckerBob), I grudgingly have to agree with his points on most accounts. "BUT," with the 46 years and 6 million miles under your belt, and all accident free, well Sir, I do applaud your spotless career.....to this point. However, when you punctuate solid issues, which I too am in lockstep agreement with you on, with the whole Screw all of you. I'll run how I damn well please.
    My safety record says I'm right. I don't need a fat ass, corrupt politician taking bribes from big medical to make rules about how I drive my truck remark, you only end up sounding like one of the dwindling number of raging against everything, outlaw, multiple logbook running, I'll do whatever the blank I blanking want drivers who on a daily basis give the whole industry a public black eye. Again, your points are extremely well taken and valid. A person speaking softly and intelligently in a room, will engender others to lean in and listen closely. Where a loud mouth hollering in a crowd, will often go ignored, regardless of whether he's right or wrong. Now, for my personal take on the issue. Yes, I think the sleep apnea ruling is a money driven scam being forced, unfairly, and unequally down our industries throat, without truly addressing the real causes of driver fatigue, and taking away our tools and ability to manage the issue at the driver level. While I'm only halfway as experienced as TruckerBob, and have only recently crossed the 3 million miles threshold, I have been around 21 years and seen the HOS go through its many changes. In my opinion, the singularly one thing they need to do on the HOS side, is give us back, the ability to stop our clock on any break of 2+hrs so that if we need to take a break and rest a while to safely make our delivery, we have the means to do so. Give us the tools, and we will get the job done. Secondly, start doing something about the shippers and receivers who as a matter of routine, delay drivers for hours on end. Sometimes even requiring you to sit in a room where you cannot rest while they take half a day to load/unload your truck. Another ongoing issue is, even if they allow you to remain in your truck, they say you cannot idle on the Property, citing air quality concerns. Umm, excuse me for having to rain on that *Green* parade, but with how clean our engines exhaust is these days, they are actually doing more to clean the air than pollute it. Hell, they should be encouraging us to idle. My truck, though a 2015 model, has the Opti-Idle system and can't be kept livable inside without running. So at these customers, during the extreme months, it's freeze or fry. And sleep isn't even a remote possibility. So, once again, lost potential rest comes into play, at the customers insistence. I do everything within my power to ensure I get the full rest I need to do my job every day. You'll never see me sitting at a coffee counter for hours debating politcs or what have you. I won't be pumping $20 bills into a Cherry Master machine or sitting in a driver's room. I take my job, and the responsibility's that go with it very seriously. I can and do enjoy goofing off on my weekly 34hr resets, when my time is my own. But 7-8hrs before my break ends, it's on a pillow, getting rested to start my next week of driving. My second issue about the driver fatigue problem is, it isn't solely the trucking industry that is suffering from fatigued driving. It's everyone else out here on the road with us. The whole employed populace is being constantly pushed to get more done in the same or less time. I myself, in my 21 yrs, have been hit from behind by a sleeping driver of a car, not once, not twice, but (3) times!!! And to reflect back on the sleep apnea issue, if we have to be subject to it, why not the rest of the people occupying our roads and highways? All the laws and regulations are pointing at protecting the motoring public from "us." Wouldn't it be about time some laws were passed to protect *us,* from *THEM?* I think I'll just leave it on that note....,.

• Eye opening impacts of poor sleep   14 weeks 4 days ago

hmmm, ive drover overnight for almost 2 decades, i drive otr, why dont i see all these accidents on the interstates? maybe we should all implant antena in our brain to be monitored per minute of everyday, creating more goverment jobs? is there a name and date to the study material that is refered to? please post

• Court challenge to ELD rule 'meritless,' government filing says   14 weeks 4 days ago

My biggest 2 concern with ELD are parking and been forced to drive even when tired.Don't be suprise after ELD will be in place that rate of accidents will increase big time due to the fact that a driver will be forced to driver tired and with lack of finding parking sometime even for hours at night time.
    Probably spleet time will work better until our government will find the solution for parking.If anybody has doubt about my point of view I welcome you to come at night time from I 287 to I 81 all the way to WV after 10PM until morning and try to find a legal spot to park a rig and see what happen.......I WISH YOU GOOD LUCK

• Hybrid hype?   14 weeks 4 days ago

Autocar's has been very successful with the Autocar E3 hydraulic hybrid. It reduces fuel consumption around 45% and brake cost by 90%, not to mention the CO2 benefits. Plenty of cities are using it now. Just Google "autocar e3" there are a lot of articles and data.

• Restoring a car once touched by evil   14 weeks 4 days ago

great Museum piece

• Truck driver shortage: Are military veterans the solution?   15 weeks 1 day ago

I think the problem of driver shortage can be eliminated by utilizing the information and resources for veteran job fair and employers available on MilitaryConnection.com.