Recent comments

• The weak link in cybersecurity: Your own workers   17 weeks 5 days ago

So, the bottom line of this article is that "human element" is the "weakest link" and .... burdensome liability (?)

• Court upholds dismissal of driver for refusing carrier-requested sleep study   17 weeks 6 days ago

As a company owner, I can see the professional side of the Carrier. We are the ones who put a driver behind the steering wheel, and we are the one accountable for drivers mistakes, we have the right to required drivers to be in good health. It don't matter if you have a medical card. I had a driver who passed a DOT drug screen and was always kind of funny. After 2 months, I decided to talk to my attorney and have a meeting with the Dr. who gave him the medical card. We all together talked to Quest LAb, and find out the driver was abusing pain killers, but because he had a medical order, he was :legal", No, he was not legal. It is against the law to drive under pain killers effects. Results? Driver got fired and after a while, he went to rehab. The same thing happens with Sleep abnea. I had another driver that I was worry about his physical conditions, and after I supended him and gave him 30 days to take care of sleep abnea study, he went to doctor, an realized how sick he was. Consequences? He is enjoying better life conditions. After he came back to work, he thanks me for been so pushy and having see the doctor.

• Car connectivity creating driver concern   17 weeks 6 days ago

While driving a car we must focus on drive. We must be alert while driving a car and focus on the road. Car accidents are common now a days. We must be conscious while driving and obey the traffic rules. Road traffic crashes are one of the worlds largest injury problem. Driving is not only the cause for road accident. It also depends on the construction of road. Many roads have been damaged in the rainy season. Most of the people die due to accident for this reckless driving only. We must know to drive car properly. Self driving is the best way to save your own life.

• Suggesting 60-68 mph, FMCSA, NHTSA propose truck speed limiters   18 weeks 5 hours ago

Speed limiters Will not Save Lives
    How Dumb are these people
    Look for more highway crashes road rage with cars who drive reckless around trucks now.
    30 years of driving I've never had a crash because of speeding
    I received more tickets from driving a truck with governor on it due too not paying attention boredom . when I have full control of my semi I'm more n charge.....when will drivers stop allowing these companies n agencies to treat them as emotionless ROBOTS

• How long should you keep your assets?   18 weeks 1 day ago

"...aided by government regulations..." I'm not sure the correct word was used here since most "aid" by the government comes in the form of edicts made by bureaucrats.

• Analysis: U.S. lagging behind in on-time deliveries   18 weeks 5 days ago

Good information but needs a bit more clarity.
    Is this MADD (mutually agreed upon delivery date) or CRD (customer requested date)?
    Those two factors alone can be 10%+ off from one another.

Any reasons given for why late? Perhaps a Pareto chart?

• New overtime regulations: Are you ready?   18 weeks 6 days ago

We did a webinar on this subject last week as well. Email me at mritzema@truckingpayroll.com if you'd like the slides or have questions.

• Suggesting 60-68 mph, FMCSA, NHTSA propose truck speed limiters   19 weeks 4 days ago

As an over the road truck driver I oppose speed limiters on heavy trucks for safety reasons. I recently had a new ecm installed and they mistakenly put on a limiter and I almost wrecked after the first 5 miles when I stopped accelerating as I was passing in front of another semi truck and lost momentum. I was unable to accelerate out of danger and the lack of the ability to get up past the limited speed put me and the motoring publics life at risk. I do not want to be on the road with trucks impedeing traffic either. Cars that rear end slow moving trucks usually die at high speeds. Speed limiter regulations are a very bad idea on the face of it and should not be made into law.

• Will trucking find the going easier under Trump?   19 weeks 6 days ago

Hopefully he will look at doing away with the EPA, an unneeded scourge on the land. Then tell the folks at CARB that it's time to get in line with the United States, The United States does NOT have to get in line with them.

Back to reality...

Maybe just a slowdown in the crushing regulations, that would help.

Truthfully, I don't care if Amtrack doesn't get $6bil a year. I don't care if Joanie liberal arts major doesn't get get $2.5mil to study sleep habits of truckers. We have gone so far backwards from 1975 it's pitiful

• Autonomous 101   20 weeks 2 hours ago

I'm a 30 year old LTL driver with 8 years of experience. I must admit that seeing this technology coming makes me want to go back to school and find a new career. I enjoy what I do, but I don't want to be obsolete in my forties or fifties. I'm glad I have time to consider my options.

• Court upholds dismissal of driver for refusing carrier-requested sleep study   20 weeks 2 hours ago

" Parker signed the agreement after he had been working for Crete for several years."

Like many other new regs, John or Jill are given the option to sign this new rule or yer fired. Many people are unable to sleep with a lot of garbage hooked up to them. Many people can't sleep on what amounts to an Army cot.

As I write this I'm reading an article below....

"Driver shortage remains bleak "

Gee, I wonder why?

• Q&A: Reckoning with roadside repairs   20 weeks 1 day ago

All of this is good AFTER the fact. What do you do BEFORE these things happen ? Of course a GOOD pre and post trip is helpful but also having a third party source come in and " pre-inspect" your fleet on an occasional basis will let you know how good of a job your drivers and mechanics are at doing their inspections / PM's.

As a former DOT roadside inspector, this is what I do. I can do a full inspection on trucks and trailers on an occasional basis to do a " safety checkup" of your fleet as well as show drivers / mechanics what to look for from the roadside inspector's point of view.

Andy Blair dotinspector@gmail.com

• Court upholds dismissal of driver for refusing carrier-requested sleep study   20 weeks 1 day ago

I have Sleep Apnea, and it's not due to BMI Issue. It was discovered
    when I was having out Patient surgery.I am also an X Driver, so this hit's home on many level's for me.This Industry is a Tough Life Style.Carrier's are protecting themselves, up to a Point, in treating a Possible Sleep issue, while the Scheduling, HOS, play, in my opinion, a much larger role in the lack of Productive sleep..

• Astrata Group integrates with Paragon Software   20 weeks 2 days ago

Good one!

• Court gives ELD rule the green light   21 weeks 3 hours ago

Ooida member and elog runner, suck it up boys it's not that bad, are you afraid you will have to start playing by the rules? You probably should have been all along, I love my elogs and wouldn't go back to the book, it just takes a little pre-planning on the drivers part

• USDOT: Volvo recall achieves 100 percent completion   21 weeks 23 hours ago

I see no reason to applaud Volvo. Under threat of U.S. law, they had an obligation to correct this extremely dangerous situation.

Had Volvo used quality American-made Dana steering shafts rather than cheap, imported units from Willi Elbe, this hazardous situation would not have occurred.

The moral of the story is, if you want to profit in the United States, source in our great country as well.

• OOIDA continues pushback against speed limiters   21 weeks 6 days ago

"encouraging truckers to contact their representatives in Washington."

Lotta good that'll do. The only people that listen in Washington are the people at the NSA!

• Self-driving Otto truck hauls beer by itself   21 weeks 6 days ago

Otto ain't never drove in Detroit....on a Friday afternoon. And the lawsuit trolls in Los Angeles are just salivating, waiting for these to hit the roads out there.

• EPA, NHTSA publish Phase 2 fuel efficiency rule   22 weeks 7 hours ago

I must say that this rule as its states, stands to put many of the smaller tech companies that supply products to the trucking industry out of business. I also find it substantially untrue saying that if a technology works and saves the customer money, benefits the environment, the industry will buy it. I can speak first hand that that statement is not even remotely true. If it was, the industry would not have dragged there feet for so long that the politicians had to ram a program down the throats of the industry, and subsequently, the consumers. I have seen first hand, a product that directly involves the drivers and the maintenance personal in controlling tire wear, fuel costs, and tire servicing be turned away at the meeting table, refuting the hard numerical evidence that the expected ROI and cost of a full company wide implementation of our product would be less then 1 year, much less in this case. TiroGage is hands down the best tire pressure system available...period. The proof is squarely in the pudding and we back it up 100% with the best warranty in the industry...and still we have to claw and scrape to get any notable market share. Electronics are not the answer here. Active direct tire pressure inspection and tire wear inspection is the key to lowering three of the major costs with any stage or size trucking company. TiroGage can prove it! The thought of overlooking the myriad of companies out there that exist to HELP the trucking industry be the best industry it can be, is completely shortsighted. This rule is nothing short of an industry shakedown of the smaller sized companies that are able to exist by keeping their older fleet vehicles running, and not having to invest in the capital expense of a new truck and or trailer. If these companies are not able to exist because of some heavy handed rule, with a short compliance window, the driver and haulage numbers will continue to be adversely affected. The majority of those in the trucking industry are refuting the need for adjustments in environmental conditions. I think a better way to start, would have been enforcing the current and existing rules and being made aware of accountability to the industry. ELDs and low sulfur and exhaust scrubbers will not have a large enough effect on the environment. Start where the rubber meets the road.

• Are truck driver-facing cameras a necessity?   22 weeks 1 day ago

The industry has no one but itself to blame for the shortage. Low pay, poor home time and mis treatment by big fleets lead to many competent people quiting the industry before the even really get started. The industry created this problem themselves.

• Tweet confirms Mercedes-Benz mid-sized Vito van coming to US   22 weeks 3 days ago

Mercedes-Benz is a self driving car. It is environment friendly, timeless and efficient. It includes highly efficient petrol engines, reversing camera, attractive model range and LED intelligent light system. By reading your blog i have some idea about this car . I got impressed by its features and purchased Mercedes Benz. For more information visit this site germanformula.com

• FMCSA: Utah trucker an ‘imminent hazard’ to public safety   22 weeks 4 days ago

So many drivers have this attitude and think they can get away with it. I think the drug & alcohol clearinghouse will go a long way in preventing this sort of thought & behavior.

My question walking away from this is: What about the penalty to the motor carrier for allowing the driver behind the wheel of the truck after the results came back positive? It's probably safe to assume that the company might have allowed him to drive before they even received the results? Maybe this was something the company did often. If so, how many other violations of the D&A regulations are they facing?

• A 'new jeep' gets ready to roll   22 weeks 4 days ago

Sean, superb article as always.

As important as the Jeep (MB,M38, M38A1) and Humvee were for the U.S. Army, I think any Vietnam veteran would agree that Ford’s M151 “Mutt” was truly of equal importance and worthy of mention here as well.

• Capacity adds MaxxForce 7 to terminal tractors   22 weeks 5 days ago

I know that this is a VERY old article now but, it's funny to read "breaking news" about these garbage engines being described as "...the most powerful, durable and environmentally friendly engines available in the market."
    Maxxforce engines, in general, are a bottomless money pit for for fleet owners as well as owner operators but, as problematic as the MF-DT is, the worst of the worst is the MF-7 ( with the MF-11/13 running a close second ). As a highly trained and experienced International dealer service technician, I can attest that these engines LIVE in the service bays and log more miles on the back of a tow truck than operating under their own power.
    I'd like to hear what Capacity of Texas' opinion of these trucks are today.

• Navistar SuperTruck, the CatalIST, hits 13 mpg   23 weeks 4 hours ago

As a seasoned International dealership technician, I get ill every time that Navistar comes out with a "new and improved" anything because, as history illustrates, the International Maxxforce engines -- ALL of them -- are a miserable failure and maintenance nightmares for trained service technicians, much less fleet technicians or Owner Operators. At the very top of the steaming heap is the infamous Maxxforce-7 and 11/13 liter where everything installed on the engine seems to have been conceived as an afterthought.
    The return of Cummins engines ( ISB6.7 MD and ISX15 HD ) in new International trucks, in MY opinion, is Navistar's Saving Grace because, no company or owner that I am aware of -- after being plagued with poorly engineered, poor quality components, incessant break downs, towing charges, lost revenue, etc. -- says: "I can't wait to buy another one of these Maxxforce engines !"
    Granted, ALL engine manufacturers have issues with their products -- Paccar, Mercedes, Volvo/Mack, Cummins and they all break down but, what I see on the dealership service level is appalling ! Now, with this completely redesigned "Wonder Truck", I again feel ill foreseeing the multitude of failures of unproven technologies and more cheap, plastic, poor fitting parts that look like garbage after having to be removed and reinstalled hundreds of times to troubleshoot and repair the multitude of new problems that are no doubt looming.
    Want a reliable International truck ? No matter what the sales person tells you about the "new and improved" Maxxforce engines -- BUY CUMMINS AND THANK ME LATER !