Recent comments

• Tracking summer fuel consumption trends   26 weeks 1 day ago

Last time I looked at a map, Mordor DC and Baltimore were both North of the Mason Dixon line.

• Changes Ahead for Entry-Level Driver Training   26 weeks 3 days ago

Humans who don't possess a high degree of what I call "affinity for machinery" have zero business attempting to operate a semi. Most especially those whose emotions override their judgement in a crisis. Those doing so are why we are constantly stopped for truck wrecks today. No amount of "training" can overcome ineptitude.

• Kenworth establishes Paccar MX Engine Dealer Council   26 weeks 5 days ago

Really enjoy the PACCAR MX 13 in my T880 - hate the 4 after treatment sensor failures in less than 70k miles. If you want to enhance the experiance of ownership of the MX 13 then designate express repair lanes for check engine lights. Being told on all 4 check engine light / sensor failures that it would be 4-5 days before my truck would be worked on is a piss poor business model.

• Fuel Efficiency and the Driver Shortage   26 weeks 6 days ago

In aspect to automatic transmissions . Currently I am driving one and hate the darn thing. Our company loses more experienced drivers due to them.

• FedEx to buy TNT Express for $4.8 billion   26 weeks 6 days ago

Was not aware of this acquisition. Excellent awareness by Fleet Owner in bringing this info to their subscribers at this time.

• Breaking the 10 MPG barrier   26 weeks 6 days ago

The writers didn't speak of fuel and or lubrication types. Synthetic lubricants? Premium diesel fuel? Proper filtration? Clean, dry fuel and a well lubricated, properly maintained engine can make significant strides to reaching the big 10. The unseen factors that most operators seem to forget about. Much needs to be taught and learned about the uses of quality fuels and lubes. It does make a difference.

• Breaking the 10 MPG barrier   27 weeks 10 hours ago

I'm sure if Mr Albert trucked the Mountain West, or sat for hours in Seattle or LA traffic his 9.9 would turn into jelly. Or how about sticking a bull wagon behind his power. Was his load late before he pulled away from the loading dock? So many variables before you turn the key on. Anybody can get good mileage IF they have a driver that wants to, is able to, take the time to get it. Not 10 though, we ain't there yet.

As many beeps, boops and other boondogles they've stuck into these engines we should all be getting a steady fifteen mpg in any conditions. Instead we're pretty much stuck in 1980.

• Mobile barcode scanning software unveiled   27 weeks 22 hours ago

There are a lot of mobile barcode scanner at this time and mostly use to mobile payment as well. As you know, Apple, Samsung and many other companies have joined to this market and try to make their own mobile payment system.

• No end in sight for worsening driver shortage   27 weeks 6 days ago

Yeh, they'll probably have to build dist centers in Az,Nv and OR as well. Nobody wants to go to Ca anymore. The laws, regulations and those that enforce them have become too onerous.

Monday I made the decision not to get my med certificate renewed, which effectively ends my CDL. I have had it for 40yrs but I see no scenerio where I would get in a truck and drive x-country again. There is nothing wrong with my health...I could pass all the sleep and ergonomic testing ok. I just don't want to put up with the growing regs and costs associated with driving.

I have a good friend in his 50s. They told him he would have to undergo a sleep study, at his own expense ($600), to keep his license. He told them to go pound sand. Today he's welding for a living...home every night. "why didn't I do this years ago?" he asks.

How many times is that going to play out over the coming years? Until the freight stops moving altogether? Are they going to invent new regs to disqualify even more drivers in the near future? Of course they will. Like engineers, politicians and bureaucrats have to change something, anything just to justify their existence

Driver pay is an important part of retention and new blood, but these corporate heads better make no is not THE MOST important.

• Darling to stay on as FMCSA boss: What difference does it make? (Part 2)   27 weeks 6 days ago

The difference between a Reagan administration and an Obama administration is simply one of control. Obama sets the tone (federal hegemony) and his Secretaries dictate (literally) what the regulators will require of the regulatees (yes, I know that's not a word, I just made it up). Alternatively, one could (as Reagan did) appoint the best possible people to his cabinet and things went very smoothly. No utopian government has or will ever exist, but you need excellent people to provide excellent government (not petty dictators as the Obama regime believes).

• Tackling near-term regulations, taxes, and tolling efforts   28 weeks 10 hours ago

The Feds are already redirecting the HTF. Bike paths, travel museums. I'm sure that Moonbeam, out in Soviet California is getting his Federal money for the "Bullet Boondoggle" from the HTF.

• The next step in smaller diesels   28 weeks 3 days ago

I was thinking that this was a great idea, until I started experiencing downtime due to exhaust sensor failure in my trucks. My intentions of buying a pickup with a diesel is all but gone. I cannot afford to have my truck O/S because of a sensor.

• The road to the self-driving truck   28 weeks 4 days ago

I would be afraid to drive along one of these trucks. I don't think they should be allowed on highways or very busy roads. There is no way they will ever be completely safe or reliable. miky

• February 26, 2015: Homicide at trucking firm investigated; GM slashing car production to favor trucks; fears grow about self-driving trucks.   28 weeks 4 days ago

Truck and car both are using for transportation but different purpose. Truck is one of the best good career as car is for personal communication. Beside this we use car for human transportation. Truck is not suitable for human being. They designed as per their requirement and uses. Self-driving is the latest technology in our automobile sector and appreciable by customers for its benefits. It gives a relax and luxurious driving. We can use this in case of truck. Transmission control module is essential in case of both for safety.

• The road to the self-driving truck   28 weeks 4 days ago

great post

• The road to the self-driving truck   28 weeks 6 days ago

I always had the impression that these trucks have a very weak stability, which is why I avoid them when I get on busy streets. I think that they should still run on some special routes, but I realize that I'm asking for something impossible.

• The road to the self-driving truck   29 weeks 17 hours ago

Am I the only one here who wouldn'd feel safe driving such a truck? Even more, I think the roads are getting more dangerous with these cars, even the small ones. You can't rely on a computer. What if there's a glitch in the system at some point and you're not paying attention because you're just not used to driving anymore? andreia

• Big tax break unlikely to boost truck sales   43 weeks 4 days ago

Maybe you should ask trucking company exec.s their opinion. To us a tax break anytime is a good thing. It will also apply to all trucks purchased this year, not the ones between now and the end of the year.

• Battle brews over HOS “restart rider” in budget bill   43 weeks 4 days ago

I just do not understand all the hype about the 82 hours a week for a driver. A driver's work week is based on 8 days at 82 hours, that is a little over 10 hours a day. So with that being said, we have people on regular jobs working 12+ hours a day and then driving to and from work. Why don't we change the rules to benefit the driver vs the political parties in our government. The current rules dictate when a driver can rest, he does not have the ability to rest adequately because when he has completed his break he then has another 14 hours whether he has rested or not. Until they ask the drivers what is best for them, we will continue to have them driving tired and pushing the miles so they can make a payday. Lets put someone in charge that has actually had to drive for a living and knows exactly what is needed to improve the industry.

• Truck driver demographics approaching “cliff”   44 weeks 5 days ago

No worries the trucking industry tries to keep it a secret but have been recruiting immigrants for years to fill those seats. Should be easier now with the Obama administration.

• Fuel Follow-up: Maybe Additives Have a Place   45 weeks 1 day ago

well! I have yet to see any fuel additive company step up to the plate and pay for all the costs that go along with the fuel related breakdowns the additive advertisements say they are supposed to prevent. I have read many articles on cold weather prep and non have suggested using fuel heaters as a solution.

• Fuel Follow-up: Maybe Additives Have a Place   45 weeks 6 days ago

Dear Darry: I have formulated and supplied quality winter (and summer) diesel fuel additives for more than 40 years and I take great issue with your usage of the term "... snake oil liquids...".
    When the winter diesel fuel additive is properly compounded for the expected operational usage area (expected ambient temperature range) and the fuel additive purchaser properly maintains his storage tanks and equipment tanks by keeping the water out of both, there should be no winter operability issues.
    Amalgamated, Inc has always backed its winter diesel fuel additive products with a 100% guarantee that the products will do exactly what we advertise. If the RIGHT diesel fuel additive is properly treated as directed, there are no issues (even without adding/blending kerosene).
    The real problem with choosing a good winter diesel fuel additive product is that most diesel equipment operators do not (a) test their base/untreated diesel fuels and they do not (b) test the additives in their base diesel fuels BEFORE they buy the additive product.
    I certainly agree that an additive buyer cannot believe everything the additive supplier is telling him. That is why we always encourage the fuel additive buyer to test his fuel with the additive BEFORE he makes the purchase.
    There are many reputable petroleum testing laboratories in America that have the ability to test diesel fuels without and with winter additives (i.e. CFPP, Pour Point, Cloud Point, Wax Dispersancy and De-Ice protection testing).
    Only having a good knowledge of the additive's performance in one's own diesel fuel BEFORE one purchases the product can one buy the RIGHT product for his own application. Lab testing is paramount - always.

• Fuel Follow-up: Maybe Additives Have a Place   45 weeks 6 days ago

Fuel additives is the easy on the fly solution, just pour it in and hope your fuel wont gell. It doesn't help when the fuel has already gelled up and you cant start your engine. The best solution is to have heaters or pre-heaters to either prevent the fuel from gelling or to eliminate the gelling prior to starting your truck. I have read many articles on cold weather prep and non have suggested using fuel heaters as a solution. DAVCO has been making Fuel Water Separators with either fluid heat or electric heat as an option. We have been upgrading numerous fleets this year to help eliminate those $1K plus tow bills that so many fleets experienced last year.

• Training for Instinct: Proactive Driving   46 weeks 7 hours ago

Thank you so much for your question(s), Wendy. What we find is that new CMV drivers can develop, "Instinct" which is as close as we can come to "natural" driving ability. By seeing ahead further, predictive sighting, and proactive driving a driver can develop the edge that is needed to be a truly successful professional driver. Lack of natural ability can definitely be compensated for by practice (even somewhat in music) but only if the practice is motivated by developing instinct. The cool thing is that a student who is developing the edge can be distinguished by a true ownership of the learning where student and coach are working together to form sight pictures and methods for seeing the way a professional sees. Just practicing the moves doesn't make you a dancer. Just practicing the right, "licks" doesn't make you a guitar player. Developing a professional attitude means that you are practicing becoming a professional driver. As far as your musical inclinations are concerned... The shower is always very forgiving.

• Training for Instinct: Proactive Driving   46 weeks 8 hours ago

Brandon, can a lack of "natural" ability be compensated for with education and practice over time? Or are those who find driving difficult to master like those of us who can't sing-- and simply nothing can enable us to carry a tune?