Recent comments

• Are truck driver-facing cameras a necessity?   14 weeks 5 hours ago

I get so sick and tired of everything that happens in the trucking industry being put on the shoulders of the drivers and then us being the ones that suffer from it due to stupid laws and regulations. How about Kretsinger putting a driver facing camera in his personal vehicle and then make public those videos. If these companies want to put driver facing cameras in a drivers truck that is having issues following th rules, getting tickets, having accidents, then fine, but don't punish everyone out here because a certain few can't do the job they were hired to do. I run my own road facing camera, but I can assure you that I will NEVER work for a company that has driver facing cameras. To me it's just a matter of principle. I have put up with a lot of changes in this industry over the past 20 plus years and this is one that will make me hang up my hat for good. You can take that to the bank.

• Are truck driver-facing cameras a necessity?   14 weeks 20 hours ago

When the CEO's have the cameras on themselves all work day, I'll be glad to reciprocate.

• Are truck driver-facing cameras a necessity?   14 weeks 20 hours ago

It all comes back to untrained and unquailified drivers. The industry has a shortage of drivers because of goverment regulations and there are not enough trained drivers to fill the need. A company would not have to watch their drivers if they were trained properly

• Are truck driver-facing cameras a necessity?   14 weeks 21 hours ago

If you do not trust your driver enough that you must have a driver facing camera,why did you hire that driver in the first place ?

• Linking public health and transportation   14 weeks 23 hours ago

This is the solution to improving the health in most of the transportation issues
    WWW.HNEDESIGN.ORG
    HNEDESIGN3773@YAHOO.COM
    8322878988
    HASANI EPHRAIM

• Are truck driver-facing cameras a necessity?   14 weeks 23 hours ago

Better hurry up and get the autonomous truck ready cuz its bout to be a major shortage

• Are truck driver-facing cameras a necessity?   14 weeks 1 day ago

I sure would not drive for a company that would hire drivers they don't trust which is exactly what driver facing cameras are saying. I guess it would be great fun for the office staff to watch a driver 24hrs a day , watch him or HER which posses a whole new can or worms with privacy concerns for female drivers scratch their ass and pick their nose.

• Aiming the Big Data guns at one’s self   14 weeks 1 day ago

The opportunities exist internally and externally. If fleet owners want to get the biggest return on their investment, they need to focus on iteration as they work on applying analytics into action. Far too often organizations only grab the low hanging fruit, whereas the real benefits are often below the surface. Some great posts on this topic at the Big Data Forum. Peter Fretty, IDG blogger for SAS

• Volvo Trucks announces engine, powertrain enhancements   14 weeks 3 days ago

Is Volvo still considering it's own Dedicated Compressed Natural Gas Engine and if so when will it be available.

• Crash risk higher for truckers who slack on sleep apnea treatments   14 weeks 4 days ago

The findings from this study will solidify decision makers' push for mandatory OSA screenings. While that decision will further constrain the pool of qualified drivers, a well driver is a safe driver and those that are well will work better and longer in our industry.

• A better path to safer roads   14 weeks 5 days ago

The trucking industry needs truck drivers. The big box trucking companies created in-house 'driving schools' so they could churn out the cheap labor they need by rolling out 3-4 week truck driver 'graduates' to dominate the US highways with minimum damage to the big box bottom line.

Can anyone point out viable regulation or oversight for in-house trucking company 'driving schools' or the 'driving schools' offering CDLs after 4 weeks of so-called training if John or Jane Q Public can pony up the going rate of $4800. Does it make sense to put even one of these 'driving school graduates' behind the wheel of an 80,000 pound (or more) vehicle and send them down the road? It sure doesn't to me.

Eliminate these truck driving 'schools'. Give the people who want a driving career the educational tools they require to become professional drivers.

Educated professional drivers would lower highway fatalities because 1) they would know how to drive and 2) as professional drivers they would have the knowledge and confidence to demand what they are worth

• Workers need to be fitter and smarter … and they’re not   14 weeks 6 days ago

I keep on looking out in the shop and seeing that "deer in the headlights" look. We have finally begun training techs for the future...about ten years late. 15 years ago I had a dealer shop foreman tell me that (at that time) it took 80 hrs of training for his techs, just to keep up with the technology. I'm sure it's considerably more now.

As far as driving goes, as long as the companies are demanding 10yrs driving experience, (to hire) they are going to keep on wondering where they are going to get the drivers they need. The regulations are getting prohibitive. In my mind....we ain't seen nothin' yet.

• Three trends, four predictions to crystal ball the commercial truck industry   14 weeks 6 days ago

The SUSD vehicles is the future in trucking cures all the problems in the trucking/transportation industry
    Please visit WWW.HNEDESIGN.ORG

• Workers need to be fitter and smarter … and they’re not   14 weeks 6 days ago

After reading these very interesting articles im so postive about the SUSD vehicles its the future in trucking ithealthier for truckers can raise chassis sale by 75% or more and the list goes on please visit WWW.HNEDESIGN.ORG FOr more info the susd will revolutionize the trucking/transportation industry

• New food safety rules pose impact for refrigerated carriers   15 weeks 44 min ago

Another area of concern should be the transportation of organic and non-organic in the same trailer!

• Foxx: Speed-limiter proposal due next month   15 weeks 3 hours ago

The speed limiters are a farse .Yes they will keep speed to a maximum but they will create more accidents then suppress them . They will cause drivers to get tickets for speeding even if they were not . I still drive and my truck is governed to 68 mph and those cars fly around me as if I were standing still . The Idea of having speed limiters is for safety but the fuel usage is going to rise because trucks are going to use more fuel at 65 then they would at 70 because the engine is now going to have to work harder to pull the same load.The limiters will cause more accidents because of cars trying to get around these big trucks going so slow that they will crash into each other and the truck driver will get the blame for causing a traffic jam and he will probably be charged with any accident that occures.

• Ram plants a Yellow Rose pickup in Texas   15 weeks 20 hours ago

Yes,however the song was about a lady friend of Sam Houston's during Texas' fight for independence from Mexico. She is "The Yellow Rose of Texas". So, more directly, the new Ram 1500 originated with the lady; not just the song.

• Foxx: Speed-limiter proposal due next month   15 weeks 22 hours ago

Great!! The hiways are safe now. Driving the last 300 mi.....at.....62......mph....zzzzzzzzCRASH!!!! Where did that bus come from???

• Foxx: Speed-limiter proposal due next month   15 weeks 1 day ago

how is more taxes going to help oil prices , or other UNNAMED businesses ?

• The Big Question: Cameras on the Driver or Not?   15 weeks 1 day ago

I understand both perspectives and agree that a driver facing camera could be useful in some cases but not all. Many in the industry are grappling with these questions at this time or will be in the future. It is a very good thing to have this type of open discussion. I welcome the interest.

• Five Things Your Drivers Don't Know About Roadside Inspections   15 weeks 2 days ago

I am not sure what you mean by " what is currently hidden" ? A lot of drivers have been through Level 1, 2 or 3 inspections and know pretty well how they work. There is nothing hidden during an inspection. Even if you have never been through one, the items looked at are certainly obvious and as part of a regulated industry, inspections will be around for a while. Ask any driver who has been through one and they will be glad to tell you of their experiences.

• ELD advice: Don’t wait, do it now   15 weeks 2 days ago

While the use of ELD's is certainly not bad, there are still exemptions that will allow some companies to not buy these devices.

Below are the exemptions.

1. 1999 and older trucks.
    2. Drivers who have been exempt under the 100/150 air mile rule.
    3. Drivers who do run a log but only do so up to 8 days out of a rolling 30 day time period. ( if you hit day 9, you lose the exemption)

If you meet any one of these exemptions , you do not need to get ELD's. There are a lot of " local " companies that will qualify and simply do not have to go electronic if they don't want to.

• The Big Question: Cameras on the Driver or Not?   15 weeks 2 days ago

We have front & rear facing cameras. We have been using them for about 5 or more years. It was a hard sell at first but after a while our drivers would complain to us if they thought their cameras were not functioning properly. They have seen how the cameras have helped the driver. We do not sit in the office all day viewing videos. We do a random sampling, or if we get a complaint or accident we take a look. It has also helped with using seatbelts and using a Bluetooth device while driving. Drivers realize in the long run it has taught them to be more aware and diligent in their jobs. We also have had ELD's. Our drivers do well in roadside inspections.

• Unlocking the virtual shop   15 weeks 2 days ago

it takes time to do and some analysis to monitor but even at the basic level results can be obtained

• The Big Question: Cameras on the Driver or Not?   15 weeks 3 days ago

As a retired driver if I was working for a carrier that had a camera on me I would quit on the spot. I had 31 years accident free and I would not want someone in some office watching me pick my nose and scratch my ball's. If you can not hire a driver you can trust you need to change your hiring practices.