Recent comments

• Truckers love Weed; Weed loves truckers   18 weeks 3 days ago

Hats off to the city of Weed for being trucker-friendly. Another thing to love about California is

• Physician: Trucking must get at root causes of fatigue   18 weeks 3 days ago

Damn. Where to begin on this issue. I guess I'll start with the (3) posted comments above. (Harm), I would have to say I agree with you pretty much across the board. As a driver, the ultimate responsibility falls upon us to say whether or not we are capable, rested and healthy to drive at any given moment. If we are not, then we have to communicate with our company so that alternate arrangements can be made. I've had to speak up and advise my company of either a fatigue or health issue on a few occasions. And I have always had their 100% support. (TWade), I'm with you in some respects, but not in others. I do firmly believe there's a great deal of follow the money, scamming of our industry with the whole sleep apnea mandate. BMI, while a possible Red Flag in many cases, should not be what is the be-all-end-all determining factor for whether a driver might be at risk for sleep apnea. They have it set up where they look at so many things during a test, you are bound to fail in one area or another, and then, they have you by the short and curlies with a death grip. But apnea happens to people of all shapes, weights and sizes. Including healthy looking thinner people whom BMI standards would never give a second look. Factors that should be looked at, as Red Flags are, does a driver have difficulty running a full shift daily without stopping early due to fatigue. Does the driver call in frequently and say they are too tired to make their delivery, when by all accounts, it should have been an easy run. If all that a driver is guaged by ID their BMI, then here's an interesting fact. Based on the BMI standards, Vin Diesel is considered overweight, and Dwayne The Rock Johnson is morbidly obese, by BMI measurements. Really? Yes....!!! Now, as for the first comment above by (TruckerBob), I grudgingly have to agree with his points on most accounts. "BUT," with the 46 years and 6 million miles under your belt, and all accident free, well Sir, I do applaud your spotless this point. However, when you punctuate solid issues, which I too am in lockstep agreement with you on, with the whole Screw all of you. I'll run how I damn well please.
    My safety record says I'm right. I don't need a fat ass, corrupt politician taking bribes from big medical to make rules about how I drive my truck remark, you only end up sounding like one of the dwindling number of raging against everything, outlaw, multiple logbook running, I'll do whatever the blank I blanking want drivers who on a daily basis give the whole industry a public black eye. Again, your points are extremely well taken and valid. A person speaking softly and intelligently in a room, will engender others to lean in and listen closely. Where a loud mouth hollering in a crowd, will often go ignored, regardless of whether he's right or wrong. Now, for my personal take on the issue. Yes, I think the sleep apnea ruling is a money driven scam being forced, unfairly, and unequally down our industries throat, without truly addressing the real causes of driver fatigue, and taking away our tools and ability to manage the issue at the driver level. While I'm only halfway as experienced as TruckerBob, and have only recently crossed the 3 million miles threshold, I have been around 21 years and seen the HOS go through its many changes. In my opinion, the singularly one thing they need to do on the HOS side, is give us back, the ability to stop our clock on any break of 2+hrs so that if we need to take a break and rest a while to safely make our delivery, we have the means to do so. Give us the tools, and we will get the job done. Secondly, start doing something about the shippers and receivers who as a matter of routine, delay drivers for hours on end. Sometimes even requiring you to sit in a room where you cannot rest while they take half a day to load/unload your truck. Another ongoing issue is, even if they allow you to remain in your truck, they say you cannot idle on the Property, citing air quality concerns. Umm, excuse me for having to rain on that *Green* parade, but with how clean our engines exhaust is these days, they are actually doing more to clean the air than pollute it. Hell, they should be encouraging us to idle. My truck, though a 2015 model, has the Opti-Idle system and can't be kept livable inside without running. So at these customers, during the extreme months, it's freeze or fry. And sleep isn't even a remote possibility. So, once again, lost potential rest comes into play, at the customers insistence. I do everything within my power to ensure I get the full rest I need to do my job every day. You'll never see me sitting at a coffee counter for hours debating politcs or what have you. I won't be pumping $20 bills into a Cherry Master machine or sitting in a driver's room. I take my job, and the responsibility's that go with it very seriously. I can and do enjoy goofing off on my weekly 34hr resets, when my time is my own. But 7-8hrs before my break ends, it's on a pillow, getting rested to start my next week of driving. My second issue about the driver fatigue problem is, it isn't solely the trucking industry that is suffering from fatigued driving. It's everyone else out here on the road with us. The whole employed populace is being constantly pushed to get more done in the same or less time. I myself, in my 21 yrs, have been hit from behind by a sleeping driver of a car, not once, not twice, but (3) times!!! And to reflect back on the sleep apnea issue, if we have to be subject to it, why not the rest of the people occupying our roads and highways? All the laws and regulations are pointing at protecting the motoring public from "us." Wouldn't it be about time some laws were passed to protect *us,* from *THEM?* I think I'll just leave it on that note....,.

• Eye opening impacts of poor sleep   18 weeks 3 days ago

hmmm, ive drover overnight for almost 2 decades, i drive otr, why dont i see all these accidents on the interstates? maybe we should all implant antena in our brain to be monitored per minute of everyday, creating more goverment jobs? is there a name and date to the study material that is refered to? please post

• Court challenge to ELD rule 'meritless,' government filing says   18 weeks 4 days ago

My biggest 2 concern with ELD are parking and been forced to drive even when tired.Don't be suprise after ELD will be in place that rate of accidents will increase big time due to the fact that a driver will be forced to driver tired and with lack of finding parking sometime even for hours at night time.
    Probably spleet time will work better until our government will find the solution for parking.If anybody has doubt about my point of view I welcome you to come at night time from I 287 to I 81 all the way to WV after 10PM until morning and try to find a legal spot to park a rig and see what happen.......I WISH YOU GOOD LUCK

• Hybrid hype?   18 weeks 4 days ago

Autocar's has been very successful with the Autocar E3 hydraulic hybrid. It reduces fuel consumption around 45% and brake cost by 90%, not to mention the CO2 benefits. Plenty of cities are using it now. Just Google "autocar e3" there are a lot of articles and data.

• Restoring a car once touched by evil   18 weeks 4 days ago

great Museum piece

• Truck driver shortage: Are military veterans the solution?   19 weeks 21 hours ago

I think the problem of driver shortage can be eliminated by utilizing the information and resources for veteran job fair and employers available on

• Vehicle Graphics Awards: Big Rock Sports   19 weeks 2 days ago

To make our vehicle more attractive and stunning we are looking for different types of vehicle graphics, vehicle wraps and graphics are adopting by youths to give their vehicle a unique look and most probably it is also helps to hide the scratch and dent part of the vehicle. Different people are using different types of unique and attractive graphic designs for their vehicles.

• A tipping point for disc brakes in North American trucking?   19 weeks 4 days ago

There needs to be some progress made on lowering the cost of maintaining disc brake systems. The initial cost is one thing, but when there is a failure in a disc brake system, the cost of repair is extremely high.

• FMCSA extends comment period on sleep apnea proposal   19 weeks 5 days ago

Its good that drivers can get engaged in the process and understand this isn't just a regulatory activity to put new burdens and responsibilities on them.Great news. Thanks for sharing.

• Safer today, autonomous tomorrow   19 weeks 5 days ago

Noble experiment lets fix our Counties highway and bridge system first !

• OEM Perspective: Getting there   19 weeks 5 days ago

It'll be a combination of technology + driver behind the wheel conscientious driving. Tech is trying to take the driving style factor out of the equation. It's not as simple as that - the new tech sometimes requires the driver to change their shifting and braking habits to take full advantage. Overall - we can do this together! All starts with measuring performance - Geotab telematics is collecting one of the world's largest data sets in trucking useful for predictive maintenance and driver safety and driving style coaching. #Geotab @Geotab

• Driver pay: Know your target   20 weeks 9 hours ago

Excellent article. I am currently a student driver and I will use articles like this one to further gauge companies I express interest in working for. If I notice that companies are implementing incentive programs for retention purposes, I will know they have used the metrics displayed above.

• Driver pay: Know your target   20 weeks 17 hours ago

There are many things that can be done to improve driver recruiting and retention. The short story is think of them like customers. How do you recruit and retain customers? If a good customer leaves don't you ask why?

• Uber for Trucks: A mobile freight revolution?   20 weeks 1 day ago

Dear Editor,

Pls check if there is a contridiction or wrong typing in this article,

Paragraph 3 - By 2025, the mobile freight market is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate of 74.65% and generate ((($26.40 billion))) in revenue for the entire market,

And down below:

Here’s a look at what that means for key industry segments by 2025:

1.For-hire fleets – The market is expected to reach approximately 16% of the entire freight brokerage market (((about $220 billion))) and primarily comprise for-hire fleets.

Pls advise if it is talking about two issues($26.40 and $220 billion), or just a simply wrong typing.

Thanks & regards,
    James Chen

• Terror and trucking: Where the threats hide   20 weeks 1 day ago

I'd be more concerned with nuclear waste haulers

• Figuring out how to find and keep workers in trucking   20 weeks 6 days ago

People moved to the fracking fields by the thousands when there was work and the pay was good. Trucking appears to have the work.......

• Mercedes-Benz rolls out new Sprinter van   21 weeks 2 days ago

Mercedes sprinter is a vehicle which earns a lot of popularity in the industry before the actual sales. And this 2014 sprinter is already a hit in the market due to its looks, built, performance, and safety quality whatever you say. Nothing is compromised in this vehicle for the trade-off. This will be specially appreciated by the people who love to go for a long journey with a healthy number of friends or family members. The price of the vehicle is also reasonable. Anybody who wishes for this luxury vehicle with optimum comfort will not hesitate to pay this much of amount. For more information about Sprinter Van Service, you can go to

• FMCSA takes 'first step' to sleep apnea rule   21 weeks 4 days ago

The the truck drivers sacrifice our life to bring goodies for the rest of this country and we never been awarded any merit for what we are doing.
    Every moment behind the wheel of a truck could be our last in our life and nobody cares about us.
    In top of that I what to see a real truck stop with real natural and healthy food so we can buy a healthier meal and to became nice and healthy like our politicians that are bombarding this trucking industries with all kinds of new laws including this Sleep apnea that benefits mostly medical industry that problaby give HEALTY donation to our legislator to force us to became healtier.
    How can I became healty when we don't have not even a single option for a healty life .
    I do invite any legislator to visit a truck stop here in Northeast(maybe he will find a parking spot) and see first hand how miserable is a life of a over the road truck driver.
    I been a truck driver in this country for 20+years and in Europe for another 10 with zero accident of my fault or zero speeding tickets and most of my 2.000.000 plus miles was spent here into one of the most congested area of this North American continent and I will love to see at least one legislator in my cab to see how real trucker life is here in Northeast.
    I have the honor not to long ago to meet some of the old truckers with 50+ years behind wheel and I was told that in their career they never seen so much stupidity like in the past 10 years and they very happy to retire they wish me Good luck .....because We all need one.

• ATRI: Cost of sleep apnea treatment high for drivers   21 weeks 4 days ago

Home Sleep Testing will cost less than $250

• FMCSA, CVSA and tread depth   21 weeks 4 days ago

I would not agree with all of this article. As a former roadside enforcement officer , I took many things into consideration. Drivers attitude, overall condition of the truck, the company's CSA scores and the seriousness of the violation all were considered.

No citation is an absolute. It is and has been the officers discretion.

Even OOS violations do not guarantee a ticket. While it is certainly more likely, I used the previously mentioned statement in my decision to cite.

" Drivers will be ticketed for every condition under FMCSA inspection guidelines ". Mr. Rolling seems to paint every DOT officer as wanting to do nothing but cite, cite and cite some more.

This is simply not true. While their are officers who cite for a lot of things, that is not a majority. When is the last time you had a level 1 inspection with multiple violations and were cited for everything ? Officers can not only cite the driver but also the carrier.

Companies that had BAD equipment , had BAD CSA scores or drivers had BAD attitudes were much more likely to get a cite. Do a good pre-trip , do your best to get stuff fixed and keep the attitude in check until after the officer is gone. It will be better and cheaper for you in the long run.

I just spent the morning doing Level 1's for a company so they will be ready for the Operation Roadcheck next week. What have you done to prepare ?

Andy Blair

• Drivers: Opportunity knocks   21 weeks 5 days ago

What opportunities in trucking? Once a driver, always a driver.

• Women In Trucking CEO and founder Ellen Voie honored by White House   21 weeks 6 days ago

An amazing leader and human!

• Fleet Owner Dozen: Ellen Voie   21 weeks 6 days ago

• Figuring out how to find and keep workers in trucking   21 weeks 6 days ago

Changing the name of a job does not make the job any better. It is like calling truck drivers pilots because they pick it up over there and pile it over here. Drivers need to be paid for everything they do no sitting around waiting for free. This includes waiting for dispatch , loads , repairs and any time they are not moving when they have hours to work. And very important treat drivers with respect.