Recent comments

• Truck parking crackdown spurred by political donor in North Carolina   19 weeks 4 days ago

Sooo, rather than finding a solution, and offering that solution to drivers, you wake them up, and cute them, based on false data corroberation, and send them on their way?? Political donor or no, Look for a Means to provide ample, Safe Parking for truckers, rather than whine and complain, saying, "They're an eyesore". Putting on a B****-fest never solves the problem. Working together towards a better end for all parties, on th other hand, takes initiative, patience, and cooperation. All the ticket - fest by the state police did, was make a bunch of drivers that much more disrespectful of the complaintant, and the police.

Regardless of the source or motivation of the crackdown the fact remains that this is an illegal practice which can create a potentially fatal crash.
    I have to agree with the highway patrol that even one death is too many when the potential can be avoided by compliance with the law.
    I find it curious that the reporter chose to slant the article toward justifying violating the law.

• Do Your Pre- and Post- Trip Inspections the Right Way   19 weeks 6 days ago

Great Article!

• Truck parking crackdown spurred by political donor in North Carolina   19 weeks 6 days ago

NC should invest in creating some additional parking areas for truckers. They don't park on ramps because it is a great, peaceful place to take their breaks. They park there because there is no other place to park. It's only going to get worse. Maybe those political donors should start a campaign to finance new rest areas by making the first donation!!!

• Measuring the cost of weigh station stops   19 weeks 6 days ago

Drivers/companies need to pay attention to their BASIC scores in Safersys.org. When they start to see certain violations / scores on the rise....ACT and do something about it.

One bad inspection is not going to sink the ship but repeated violations will cause scores to climb and make you more attractive to getting stopped. As a former DOT officer, I used the Safersys scores a lot in determining who to inspect. If a company has pretty good scores, I was LESS interested. If they had high scores, THEY were coming in for some quality creeper time.

• Diesel, DEF prices stay steady while gasoline spikes   19 weeks 6 days ago

If this is going to keep going on a lot of problems are to arise and I am sure that all this price rise shall also result in a difficult time for average families to survive too. Coz no matter what the salaries are not hiking. :::

• These two factors are related to truck crashes but researchers don't know why   20 weeks 1 day ago

"Physically exhausted" is obvious: the driver is nodding off at the wheel, that's not baffling at all.

And neither is it surprising regarding the medical issues found in drivers: 99% of doctor offices do not have weekend hours, and those that do are "doc-in-the-box" or "minute clinic" outfits, that hesitate (sometimes vehemently) to prescribe long-term medications. Bottom line: drivers don't have adequate access to decent medical care; and when you factor in the fact our "weekends" (when we get one, which can be rare) are really just 34 hours long, because the carriers expect us to drive on Sundays to be on site by early Mondays, it follows that no one should be surprised at the atrocious state of drivers' health.

We need better access. We need more time at home, and more time daily, so we can address our stress. 10 hours a day is not enough; nor is 34 hours a weekend. We work hard enough as it is, the HOS rules as they are now make it that much harder for us to take care of ourselves.

• New study focuses on timeline and cost of autonomous trucks   20 weeks 2 days ago

What a load. Pun intended.

One more way for the fed to be all up in your business.

Who's liable when someone is killed?

Automate this!
    Idiots

Sorry guys
    WWW.HNEDESIGN.ORG

• FMCSA: California trucker an ‘imminent hazard’ to public safety   20 weeks 2 days ago

This guy is just bad news to be driving anything. I would hope that his intrastate operating privileges would also be revoked to drive anything, much less a CMV.

• Financial security and the driver shortage   20 weeks 3 days ago

The trucking industry is relying on millennials to "save the day"? God help us!

• FMCSA shuts down Wyoming Trucking Company   20 weeks 3 days ago

Company has 6 trucks and 4 drivers.

4 truck inspections , 3 were OOS
    3 driver inspections , 2 were OOS

One of the inspections

No CDL
    Suspended CDL
    No triples endorsement
    No medical card

Another inspection
    No brake lights
    Bad brake linings
    flat tire
    20% or more brakes out of adjustment

• Ford recalls trucks with 6.0L diesel engines   20 weeks 4 days ago

The Ford dealership charged me almost $3000.00 to repair the things that should have been covered under the recall notices.

• Big fuel savings possible, company promises   20 weeks 5 days ago

Shame on you Fleet Owner Magazine.

• Navistar lays out its path forward   20 weeks 6 days ago

well written article. this has shown the example of relationship between tier partners. well this should be keep in mind that before the completion of accounting procedures this would not be possible.

• The Big Question: Cameras on the Driver or Not?   21 weeks 8 hours ago

That is the problem with runaway profits by the insurance industry. Never enough money with management and the one percenters. Our government does not protect the hard working driver...it turns the CDL into the Criminal Drivers License. The industry has been screwing itself for as long as trucking has been around. Just look at The Federal Labor Standards Act. It does not guarantee an hourly wage to drivers...since 1938. No overtime guarantee, so the moaning and crying about the driver shortage will escalate, as management continues to treat drivers like criminals, when for profit's sake,, you didn't train the drivers right, or hire drivers that have the self discipline to do the job.

• Are truck driver-facing cameras a necessity?   21 weeks 8 hours ago

Always it is about the truck driver...we are overhead to the management. 38 years here...never needed a camera looking at me to do my job right...these ATA/TCA,etc...control freaks don't trust anyone, they pay crap wages at cpm... all company drivers should be paid hourly wages AND medical benefits. I will never drive a truck with a camera looking at me or the sleeper. I do have privacy rights.

• Charm City by land and by sea   21 weeks 8 hours ago

Lots of typo's in this slide show. Someone needs to edit this before it gets posted.

• Are truck driver-facing cameras a necessity?   21 weeks 13 hours ago

I do agree that driver facing cameras will help with safety, as in the case of an accident, one can review that driver and see that he/she did everything they could to avoid the accident. Or one would be able to see the events that led up to the accident.
    But as a driver myself I would not like for the company to see me jamming out to “Whitesnake” or even eating a snack. But I also believe that it’s a trust issue. Many companies do not have a camera on their employee’s 24-hours a day, but they some how get their work done, right? That’s saying that the company trusts that employee to perform their task accordingly. But in the same retrospect that employee is not posing a threat to the safety of the companies assets. Such as equipment (trucks)
    Training is the cause, we do not need stiffer rules and regulations we need better training. I’m not just talking about training to handle the equipment better, but training the driver on how to behave while behind the wheel. I strongly believe that if you can change a driver’s behavior behind the wheel, you will change a driver completely and we would not even be discussing driver-facing cameras.
    Look, we have license that permits us to drive an eighty thousand pound truck down the road, many CEO’s don’t have that in their back pocket, many CEO’s have never been in a truck, even when their grandfathers started the company by driving themselves. SO, we have to understand what we can do about the problem. Be your best and be safe.

• Why driver cameras are critical: One fleet’s view   21 weeks 1 day ago

Jeff Wood is a company man who is about the bottom dollar! Outward facing cameras are more than enough to protect a good driver.
    When you are willing to give up your liberties for security, you will have neither!

• The Big Question: Cameras on the Driver or Not?   21 weeks 1 day ago

Good comments Mike. Here's my perspective. We went to eLogs back in 2010. I heard lots of "all the drivers will quit" and "no one will ever work for you". It all came to naught. I can count the number of drivers who quit over eLogs on two hands and have fingers left over. That was a fleet of 750 trucks. Most of them came back. Now they complain if they have to drive a rental without eLogs.

As for the cameras, we've had them for nearly 2 years. I have had one driver walk out of orientation over the cameras. Inward facing cameras (at least the major brand name we run) DO NOT record a driver's every move. They're event recorders. If nothing happens, nothing gets recorded.

I have many examples I could show you, but I'll give you one. A driver runs off the road and wrecks. Single vehicle accident. With outward view only, you get to see a big truck wreck in HD. Not much else. The answer you need is WHY it happened. What was the driver doing?

Inward cameras also let you coach for in-cab distractions, which I have seen lead to far more wrecks than fatigue. Cell phones, texting, reading Facebook, messing around with e-Cigs, constructing a pita sandwich - seen some pretty weird stuff over the last 2 years from 1400 drivers.

Finally, we live in a world where there are cameras on us EVERYWHERE. At the store, the gas station, the bank, the video rental joint, every government building, road intersections, schools, hotels - the list is endless. These really DO record your every move, and commit it all to a DVR.

As for how I'd like to have a camera recording my every move at work, well, we have cameras everywhere in our office for security. Doors, foyers, halls, in dispatch, in the shop, and all around our building and property outside. All recording 24/7. And I'm fine with that, because I don't do anything that would cause me concern being recorded.

• Why driver cameras are critical: One fleet’s view   21 weeks 1 day ago

If you do not have enough trust in your driver that you need a driver facing camera,why did you hire him(her) in the first place?

• Are truck driver-facing cameras a necessity?   21 weeks 2 days ago

Let's say I'm looking for a driving job and I have the option of working for Mr. Kretsinger and his fleet of driver-facing camera equipped trucks or I can work for company X with no in-cab cameras? All things being equal, which company do I choose?

I think Mr. Kretsinger will need to compensate for this monitoring equipment that could well be seen as an invasion of privacy by those being monitored.

If this technology works as Mr. Kretsinger says, perhaps he can share some of that additional profit with his drivers?

Now, let's say Mr. Kretsinger offers me 20% more wages than company X for the abilty to watch me on his video screen at will, which company do I choose now? Naturally, most drivers will reject this offer at any price but suddenly the technology seems a little more palatable.

• FMCSA shuts down North Carolina carrier   21 weeks 3 days ago

Wow;

Their Vehicle OOS rate is 75% and their Driver OOS rate is 28% !!

13 inspections with 65 violations. 22 of those 65 were OOS violations. In looking at their Safer Info, these guys were a disaster waiting to happen.

• Foxx: Speed-limiter proposal due next month   21 weeks 3 days ago

Big Richard ...

How will drivers get tickets even if they aren't speeding ?
    I understand that cars can and will always pass trucks and maybe there should be limiters on all vehicles ?!
    How will a truck use more fuel at 65 than 70 ?
    The limiters will cause more crashes because more cars will wreck trying to go around them ? ( so the answer is to let the trucks go as fast as they want so there are fewer crashes ?)

Bigger vehicles crash big when they crash. Large trucks should not have the ability to have an " unlimited" top end. Trucking is a regulated industry and non-commercial transportation isn't. Of course there are traffic laws for all but your statements don't make much sense.

I am a retired Police / DOT Enforcement Officer who now has my Class A license and conducts CDL training as well as Defensive Driving.