Recent comments

• Why one state thinks fuel taxes are outdated   28 weeks 6 days ago

Not only evasion, but also a chilling affect on travel generally. All governments have the same major problem: how to pay for all the government services that the public wants. Maybe if the public would demand fewer services, our beloved city/state/federal governments wouldn't want so much of our money in taxes/fees. (Yeah, that's sarcasm)

• Are carriers and drivers being hurt by CSA scores?   29 weeks 2 days ago

The FMCSA relies on the Police Accident Report for the data which ultimately ends up in your CSA score.

Officers are relied upon to indicate whether or not your vehicle meets the legal definition of a CMV. AND also whether or not it is considered " reportable". To be a reportable crash, their are three separate criteria and one of them must be met.

1. Any injury to any person who receives medical treatment away from the scene of the crash.

2. A fatality.

3. Any of the vehicles is disabled requiring towing.

If you are involved in a crash and medical treatment is only given at the scene or the vehicle is repaired on scene.....than it isn't reportable and should not be considered a reportable crash. DataQ if this were to occur.

If you are running non-CDL trucks , make sure the officer knows if you are intrastate ( when at or under 17,000 pounds. A lot of officers are not truck inspectors and if they see something with duals or even just a DOT number on it, they assume it is a CMV. Its up to you and your drivers to let them know.

Beyond that , the company accident information which is public on shows a lot of information. Obviously . This comes directly from the police accident report. The report is usually around seven or eight pages and includes things like the GVWR and GCWR of a truck.

The officer lists the vehicle that committed a violation ( which caused or contributed to the crash) as Unit 1. They would then list the other vehicle as Unit 2. So, you always want to be Unit 2 in a crash. It is possible to be Unit 2 and have committed a lesser violation.

Of the many, many blocks the officer has to check off, an additional block could be added to indicate whether the CMV driver / truck had any violations that caused or contributed to the crash.

With this added block, the FMCSA could quickly and easily determine if they will charge the carrier as responsible. Otherwise, they would have to read the entire report which is their current reason they say they can't do doesn't make every crash chargeable.

Most crashes are easy to determine who is at fault , trucks are just big cars. There are times there are equipment issues ( or HOS ) that the average officer can't enforce as they aren't trained in that area.

Ultimately, this would go a long way to alleviate carriers from being held responsible for most crashes that are NOT their fault.

I was a Municipal Police Officer fro 26 years and was DOT/ HM and weigh aster certified.

• Sygic offers fleet, workforce management in the cloud   29 weeks 3 days ago

Managing the workforce in right direction is very much important for an organization to meet its targets. I appreciate the synergy and bringing new workforce diversity in North America.

• Saving via “virtual” driver training   29 weeks 4 days ago

Great Article! I love!

• FMCSA study: Crash accountability analysis expensive, would not improve CSA   30 weeks 4 days ago

This is truly a case of presumed guilt. Motor Carriers / Drivers are presumed guilty of every reportable crash they are in no matter the circumstances.

Even a mass murderer is presumed innocent until proven guilty. But the FMCSA simply says " it is too expensive to use the Police Accident Report to determine fault" So Carriers/ Drivers now pay the price by way of an artificially increased CSA scores.

The simple way to make this more affordable for the FMCSA is to have one extra block on the PAR in which the officer either indicates the Carrier/ Driver was at fault or was partially responsible OR is in the CLEAR.

All reportable crashes are submitted to each states DMV and than forwarded on from there. It is OBVIOUS that plenty of information reaches the FMCSA based on ALL of the information that can be read off of any crash found on the CSA portion of any Carriers profile on

Available information from a crash on Safer includes things like the Officers badge number, the road conditions,, whether or not the CMV driver was cited, the type of truck etc. There certainly would be room to include a simple check off box where the officer can indicate whether or not the Carrier/ Driver committed any violations ( or is considered to be at fault).

Thats it. While violations indicated on a crash dont necessarily determine who actually CAUSED the crash , it would go a LONG way to alleviate the unnecessary blame dumped on a Carrier/ Driver who clearly did nothing wrong.

A Police CMV crash report has multiple pages and there certainly would be a way to easily add a check off box for the officer to indicate fault/ violations that would be transmitted upstream.

Officers already assign violation by placing drivers as either Unit 1 or Unit 2. Unit 1 fully or mostly committed a violation which caused the crash while Unit 2 either committed no violations or committed a lesser violation and may be partially responsible. I understand the complexity of having to sift through these reports to mine out who did what.

So a simple check box. Is the Motor Carrier / CMV driver considered to have committed any violations which caused or contributed to this crash ? _______ YES _________ NO

While this would be the judgment of the is the best and FAIREST way to determine accountability in CSA.

Andy Blair
    York Area Regional Police Dept. ( ret)
    York , PA

• Exercise and older drivers   30 weeks 5 days ago

I am 70 years old and could not agree more with the at exercise aspect that is entirely overlooked by the trucking industryI have been driving over the road in the North East for one year and carry my bicycle with me in the sleeper berth for quick rides whenever the opportunity arises I am amazed as the other drivers in the truck stops look at me in total confusion as they sit in their trucks for hours on end consuming god knows what from the local truck stop

• Dipping into the older worker pool   30 weeks 5 days ago

As one of those "older workers", I've noticed that the physical requirements of the job are more painful, and less easy, than 20 or 30 years ago. Sure, I have a lot of knowledge and mental ability, but I can't jump up onto a flatbed trailer like I used to. The legs go first . . .

• Speed limiting remains contentious trucking issue   31 weeks 2 days ago

It's a great idea. Could solve the problem with the glut of drivers........Oh wait, I fell of my unicorn. If it happens I hope it puts all ATA members out of business.

• Paying by the Mile Caused Fatigue, Crashes and Fatalities   31 weeks 2 days ago

Getting paid by the run (i.e., per mile) always forced me to push the envelope, to get as many miles as possible, especially after the big companies cut back on miles/week. Now I get paid by the hour and don't have to push it, to get one run finished quickly so I could be dispatched on another, because now, the miles don't mean ANYTHING.

• Suicide by Truck: When Nothing Else Makes Sense   31 weeks 2 days ago

Five years ago next month (May 1995) I had a 70 year old lady park her car on the side of the road and run out in front of me. Lucky for me she left a suicide note in her car. Still I wonder why she picked me. It really messes a guy up. I partly blame that incident on my divorce 1 year later. My attitude for the next couple of years was one that people didn't care to be around. I was driving for a local company at the time and the president called me into his office the next week. Seems the lady was a relative to a good customer of the company and he wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to pursue any actions against the family. I worked there 2 more months. Every time I saw someone on the side of the road or in a crosswalk I had flashbacks. I quit driving truck completely for 5 years. When I went back to driving it was still tough, but I think it made me a better more cautious driver.

• Surprising things you might not know about driver retention   31 weeks 3 days ago

drivers are treated like the lowest form of life everywhere they go. shippers, recievers, dispatchers, scalehouses, law enforcement, motoring public,courts,etc. That is a fact that will be forever unchanged. I tell all who will listen.

• Speed limiting remains contentious trucking issue   31 weeks 3 days ago

Future news.

...And with a stroke of the pen, ATA and the DOT put 100,000 truck drivers on new career paths today. They have decided "It just ain't worth it anymore"!

• Speed limiting remains contentious trucking issue   31 weeks 5 days ago

The ATA is full of it. Made up of huge trucking corporations which do not represent truckers. If tires are to blame make tire manufacturers produce tires capable of higher safe truck tires.

• Surprising things you might not know about driver retention   31 weeks 6 days ago

The job itself has started to lose its appeal. With the necessary employment demands mixed with increasing government regulations that are rediculous. The enjoyment factor is being stripped away.

• Speed limiting remains contentious trucking issue   31 weeks 6 days ago

I suggest that the study includes time behind the wheel on a busy highway full of truck traffic all set at 65 mph. After you get all bunched together after a truck cannot pull a hill the same as the rest, then let me know how safe it is with everybody getting impatient that all lanes are clogged up. I'm just saying that without the ability to move out of these situations, these moving roadblocks do happen. Gary

• Speed limiting remains contentious trucking issue   31 weeks 6 days ago

Anytime a person says it's a "common sense approach", it's really code for, "I can't justify this idea with a rational argument, so just take my word for it." I think Bill Graves is simply trying to garner political favors inside the beltway by kowtowing to the Obama administration that believes in hegemonic central government control over the private sector. Either that or Bill Graves is simply an ignorant bureaucrat-wannabe.

• Suicide by Truck: When Nothing Else Makes Sense   32 weeks 2 days ago

And the FMCSA will consider this to be a crash and add it to your BASIC crash score.

• Tracking summer fuel consumption trends   32 weeks 6 days ago

Last time I looked at a map, Mordor DC and Baltimore were both North of the Mason Dixon line.

• Changes Ahead for Entry-Level Driver Training   33 weeks 1 day ago

Humans who don't possess a high degree of what I call "affinity for machinery" have zero business attempting to operate a semi. Most especially those whose emotions override their judgement in a crisis. Those doing so are why we are constantly stopped for truck wrecks today. No amount of "training" can overcome ineptitude.

• Kenworth establishes Paccar MX Engine Dealer Council   33 weeks 3 days ago

Really enjoy the PACCAR MX 13 in my T880 - hate the 4 after treatment sensor failures in less than 70k miles. If you want to enhance the experiance of ownership of the MX 13 then designate express repair lanes for check engine lights. Being told on all 4 check engine light / sensor failures that it would be 4-5 days before my truck would be worked on is a piss poor business model.

• Fuel Efficiency and the Driver Shortage   33 weeks 4 days ago

In aspect to automatic transmissions . Currently I am driving one and hate the darn thing. Our company loses more experienced drivers due to them.

• FedEx to buy TNT Express for $4.8 billion   33 weeks 4 days ago

Was not aware of this acquisition. Excellent awareness by Fleet Owner in bringing this info to their subscribers at this time.

• Breaking the 10 MPG barrier   33 weeks 4 days ago

The writers didn't speak of fuel and or lubrication types. Synthetic lubricants? Premium diesel fuel? Proper filtration? Clean, dry fuel and a well lubricated, properly maintained engine can make significant strides to reaching the big 10. The unseen factors that most operators seem to forget about. Much needs to be taught and learned about the uses of quality fuels and lubes. It does make a difference.

• Breaking the 10 MPG barrier   33 weeks 5 days ago

I'm sure if Mr Albert trucked the Mountain West, or sat for hours in Seattle or LA traffic his 9.9 would turn into jelly. Or how about sticking a bull wagon behind his power. Was his load late before he pulled away from the loading dock? So many variables before you turn the key on. Anybody can get good mileage IF they have a driver that wants to, is able to, take the time to get it. Not 10 though, we ain't there yet.

As many beeps, boops and other boondogles they've stuck into these engines we should all be getting a steady fifteen mpg in any conditions. Instead we're pretty much stuck in 1980.

• Mobile barcode scanning software unveiled   33 weeks 6 days ago

There are a lot of mobile barcode scanner at this time and mostly use to mobile payment as well. As you know, Apple, Samsung and many other companies have joined to this market and try to make their own mobile payment system.