A new brushless alternator for heavy-duty truck applications is said to offer fuel savings, increased uptime, and improved battery life.
Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America’s (MEAA) fully featured Diamond Power A160 brushless alternator is now available for aftermarket applications through regular dealer and aftermarket distribution channels in the U.S., Canada and Mexico. It will be available as original equipment in mid-2013, MEAA said.
“With trucks’ electrical systems becoming more and more sophisticated, the charging system becomes even more vital to keeping a truck on the road and out of the shop,” said Dave Stone, executive director, Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America Heavy-Duty operations. “The reliability and durability offered by this new brushless technology is far superior to brush and brushless alternatives available today. And with diesel fuel above $4/gal., we’ve focused on design technology that achieves efficiency levels higher than all other brushless HD alternators on the road today. Higher efficiency means higher fuel economy.”
According to the company, benefits of the alternator include:
- A design focused on improved performance results in an efficiency rating higher than any competing alternator.
- Weighs 25% less than the Remy 36SI.
- Maximum uptime
- Extreme heat tolerance that exceeds all North American O.E. requirements
- Improved cooling through advanced air flow geometry
- Over-sized bearings that are larger and higher-rated in terms of performance than the competition
- Robust electronics with an integrated regulator, rectifier and diode trio for maximum vibration resistance
- Vibration and corrosion resistance that exceeds all North American O.E. requirements
- Reduced process variation with fewer fasteners and components than the competition
- Diamond Gard warranty
- Extended battery life
- It does not reduce charging output at a pre-set temperature
- Increased rates of charge at idle
- Over 100A at idle