Christopher Barnett of Hebron, KY, has been crowned the 2012 TMCSuperTech grand champion at the American Trucking Assns. (ATA) Technology & Maintenance Council’s 2012 National Technician Skills Competition.
Barnett, a senior technician with Ryder System, was one of 114 technicians from across the country to compete in a day-long test with 17 “hands-on skills stations that tested an array or troubleshooting skills, general truck maintenance, and electronic diagnostics applications, and safety and environmental practices at the event, held in Pittsburgh last week.
Barnett scored consistently in all events to win the overall title.
“It seemed like everything went a lot smoother this year — after every station, I thought, ‘I did okay,’ he said. “Years past, I would walk away thinking I really messed that one up.”
Barnett holds numerous certifications from the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence. His shop of 14 technicians regularly maintains 280-300 trucks and tractors.
For his TMCSuperTech 2012 win, Barnett received a trip for two to the Daytona 500 and a custom championship leather jacket from TMC, a Snap-On National Champion tool chest, a one-year subscription to Michell1’s Repair-ConnectNet, a Reliance Dream Shop cabinet stocked with fasteners and supplies along with a $100 credit per month for 12 months to keep it supplied, a Noregon JPRO fleet diagnostic software and adapter valued at $3,000, a $1,000 gift card from International Truck/, a Midtronics EXP-1000HD Battery/Electrical tester, a $500 gift certificate from Chicago Pneumatic, and a Replica truck from Tonkin.
John Ragland, FedEx Express, Kansas City, KS, repeated his second-place finish from last year and received a trip for four to the 2013 running of the Brickyard 400 from BorgWarner, a Snap-On rolling tool cabinet, $500 gift card from International Truck/, a Midtronics EXP1000HD Battery/Electrical tester, and a Noregon J-Pro software and adapter.
Third-place finisher Chris Tate, Mohawk Truck, West Seneca, NY, received a $500 gift card from International/Navistar Truck, a $500 tool certificate from Mac Tools, a Midtronics EXP1000HD Battery/Electrical tester and a Noregon J-Pro software and adapter.
The Technicians usedPinnacle daycab models the HVAC and brake repair competitions. PITT OHIO and UPS, two Mack customers, provided the trucks. TransEdge Truck Centers, a Pittsburgh-based Mack dealer and Mack’s 2011 North American Dealer of the Year, detailed the trucks in preparation for the event and transported them to the David L. Lawrence Convention Center in Pittsburgh..
“It was an honor forto have the top truck technicians in North America working on our trucks during the competition,” said John Walsh, Mack vice president of marketing. “We are committed to fostering excellence among truck technicians and congratulate the TMCSuperTech winners for being the best in the industry.”
The additional top ten finishers for TMCSuperTech 2012 are:
- 4. Michael John Vallery, Oak Harbor Freight Lines;
- 5. Robert Gonzalez, Ryder System;
- 6. Eric M. Vos, FedEx Freight, Harrison, Ark.;
- 7. Michael Bogard, Ryder System, Nashville, Tenn.;
- 8. Timothy Peters, Ryder System;
- 9. Mark McLean Jr., FedEx Freight; and
- 10. Joseph P. Calaway, Walmart Transportation.
Skill station winners are:
- Written Test — Alan Davenport, FedEx Express;
- Electrical — Randy Qualls, Walmart Transportation;
- Brakes — Timothy Sloan, FedEx Freight;
- Engine (Electronics) — Alan Davenport, FedEx Express;
- Engine (Hardware) — David Berdovich, Ryder System;
- HVAC — Donald Warman, Travel Centers of America;
- Steering/Suspension — Robert Gonzalez, Ryder System;
- Starting/Charging — Michael Bogard, Ryder System;
- Trailer Alignment — Troy Hiatt, FedEx Freight;
- Drivetrain — Jason Kleman, Navistar;
- Tire & Wheel — David Berdovich, Ryder System;
- Fifth Wheel — Rudy Laguna, H-E-B Grocery Co.;
- PMI — Mitchell Buelow, FedEx Freight;
- Wheel End — Bryan David Lewis, Walmart Transportation;
- Service Information — Michael Vallery, Oak Harbor Freight Lines;
- Repair Order — Eric Vos, FedEx Freight;
- Fasteners — Darrell Duggan, Walmart Transportation; and
- Safety & Environmental — Glenroy Schad, Con-way