The Truckload Carriers Assn. (TCA) announced the division winners of its 36th annual National Fleet Safety Awards, recognizing trucking companies that demonstrate a superior commitment to safety and accident reduction. The safety awards are sponsored by Great West Casualty Co.
The 2011 top divisional winners are based on low accident frequency ratios per million miles. Companies are listed according to the order that they placed within each category:
Division I Winners (Less than 5 million miles)
1. Rocha Transportation, Ceres, Calif.
2. Art Pape Transfer, Inc., Dubuque, Iowa
3. Specialty Transport, Inc., Knoxville, Tennessee
Division II Winners (5-14.99 million miles)
1. Southland Transportation Co., Boonville, North Carolina
2. Houff Transfer, Inc., Weyers Cave, Virginia
3. Skyline Transportation, Inc., Knoxville, Tennessee
Division III Winners (15-24.99 million miles)
1. Stagecoach Cartage & Dist. LP, El Paso, Texas
2. Grand Island Express, Grand Island, Nebraska
3. Ace Doran Hauling & Rigging, Cincinnati, Ohio
Division IV Winners (25-49.99 million miles)
1. Titan Transfer, Inc., Shelbyville, Tennessee
2. Erb International, Inc., New Hamburg, Ontario
3. N. Yanke Transfer, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Division V Winners (50-99.99 million miles)
1. Groupe Robert, Inc., Rougemont, Québec
2. Navajo Express, Inc., Denver, Colorado
3. May Trucking Company, Salem, Oregon
Division VI Winners (100 million or more miles)
1. Bison Transport, Inc., Winnipeg, Manitoba
2. Gordon Trucking, Inc., Pacific, Washington
3. Roehl Transport, Inc., Marshfield, Wisconsin
“In my opinion, maintaining a stellar safety record is a group effort. A trucking company has to get every employee involved. Each of our 18 division winners has worked very hard at being the safest on the roads, and each deserves to be honored and recognized for its achievement,” said Douglas Cook, chairman of TCA’s Safety & Security Division and vice president of safety for Covenant Transport, Chattanooga, TN.
Fleets applying for the awards have completed the first of a two-step process. First, their accident frequency per million miles driven was calculated for each of six mileage-based divisions. The top three division winners were selected and have been audited by an independent expert to verify their accident frequency numbers.
The division winners will be recognized at an awards ceremony to be held during TCA’s Annual Convention, March 4-7, 2012, at the Gaylord Palms in Kissimmee, FL, as well as during TCA’s Safety & Security Division Annual Meeting, May 20-22, 2012, at the Embassy Suites Norman - Hotel & Conference Center in Norman, OK.
All division winners are now eligible to compete for two grand prizes, one in the “less than 25 million annual miles” category and one in the “25 million or more annual miles” category. To win the grand prize, companies will be judged on their overall safety programs, both on- and off-highway, including employee driver/independent contractor selection procedures, training, supervision, accident investigation, inspection and maintenance of equipment, and outside activities, including general highway safety.
As with the division winners, the two grand prize winning companies will be honored at an awards ceremony to be held during TCA’s Annual Convention and then again during TCA’s Safety & Security Division Annual Meeting.