Workhorse Custom Chassis, which was acquired by International Truck & Engine Corp. this summer, has announced the production launch of its first diesel chassis powered by an International diesel engine. The new W42 Workhorse chassis boasts the International VT275 4.5L diesel, a V6 engine rated forh 200 hp and 440 lb.-ft. of torque.
“We’re very excited about this new chassis,” said Jay Sandler, vp of commercial products for Workhorse. “We’ve been strong in the gas market, but did not have a diesel in 2005. This chassis gives us a great product for the diesel market.” Workhorse is the only manufacturer that provides both gas and diesel chassis for walk-in trucks, the company said.
The diesel W42 is offered in GVW ratings of 10,000, 12,000 or 14,500 lbs., with wheelbases of 125, 133, 157, 178 or 190 inches.
Key features include:
- Allison LCT-1000 electronic 5-speed transmission.
- New Meritor Wabco four-channel ABS system with full J-1939 diagnostics capability, replacing a three-channel TRW system.
- New ZF variable ratio power steering box and ZF belt-driven power steering pump.
- New high-performance Brembo four-wheel disc brakes, which replace the previous Bosch brakes.
- New Westport Wide Track I-Beam front axle with a full 50º wheel cut.
- New parabolic taper-leaf suspension springs, front and rear, with custom-tuned 35mm shock absorbers.
- Rear axle ratio changed from 5.13:1 to 4.63:1 on the diesel application.
- Bigger radiator and cooling fan.
- New Smart Cluster instrument panel with LCD screen for driver and diagnostic information.
For more information, go to www.workhorse.com.