White’s Travel Center in Raphine, VA, is among 17 new truck stops that have recently added electric plug-in power pedestals from Shorepower Technologies. White’s hosted an open house last week to showcase the technology and how truckers can take advantage of the power.
“Since Raphine has seven months where the low temperature averages 42 deg. or colder (five months of that averaging below freezing), full utilization of power pedestals over those cold months to heat the cab/sleeper with a space heater or shore power compatible on-board auxiliary power unit will mean a savings of close to 54,000 gals. of fuel for truckers,” said Bobby Berkstresser, owner of the travel center. “And it means about 540 less tons of carbon dioxide being put into the air. That’s the equivalent of taking 100 cars off the road for a year. And, that’s just for seven months.”
Shorepower Technologies provided the electrical pedestals through the Dept. of Energy’s Shorepower Truck Electrification Project (STEP) and administered through Cascade Sierra Solutions, a non-profit based in Eugene, Ore.
White’s also provides 480-volt power for hybrid refrigerated trailers. It is located at I-81/64, exit 205.
Shorepower said free power is available to truckers through the end of January 2013.
“We see truck stop electrification as the future – it’s a business model that will work,” Berkstresser added. “Our initial installation is only the beginning – we expect to expand the number of pedestals we offer as the industry and truckers ramp up to take advantage of the power.”
New locations offering truck stop electrification and plug-ins for hybrid reefer units:
- Newell's Truck Plaza - Newton, Kansas. - 24 Plug-Ins- 5 TRUs (480V)
- Seven Feathers - Canyonville, Ore. – 36 Plug-Ins- 6 TRUs (480V)
- Wes-T-Go Travel Center - Tye, Texas. - 24 Plug-Ins- 5 TRUs (480V)
- Pilot Travel Center - Weed, Calif. - 36 Plug-Ins- 9 TRUs (480V)
- Flying J Travel Plaza - Lodi, Calif. - 36 Plug-Ins- 5 TRUs (480V)
- Hopi Travel Plaza - Holbrook, Az. - 24 Plug-Ins
- Chex Truck World - Middleburg, N.C.- Plug-Ins- 5 TRUs (480V)
- Deerfield Travel Center, Steele, Mo. - 24 Plug-Ins
- Flying J Truck Stop - Florence, S.C. - 24 Plug-Ins- 5 TRUs (480V)
- Bridges Travel Plaza - Cusseta, Ala. - 16 Plug-Ins
- West Winds Truck Stop - Green River, Utah - 24 Plug-Ins
- Russell's Travel Center - Springer, N.M. - 24 Plug-Ins- 4 TRUs (480V)
- Johnson Corners Truck Stop - Johnstown, Colo. - 24 Plug-Ins- 5 TRUs (480V)
- Flying J Travel Plaza - Bakersfield, Calif. - 36 Plug-Ins - 5 TRUs (480V)
- Dysarts Service (Citco) - Bangor, Maine - 24 Plug-Ins- 5 TRUs (480V)
- EZ Trip - Fresno, Calif. - 24 Plug-Ins- 5 TRUs (480V)