ST. LOUIS.rolled out its all-new International TerraStar Class 4/5 truck here at The Work Truck Show of the National Truck Equipment Assn. The truck boasts a wide range of “commercial duty” features including the OEM’s MaxxForce 7 V-8 diesel and the “largest, roomiest cab available.”
“The International TerraStar comes from the same blood lines as the rest of our commercial truck line-up,” said Jack Allen, president,’s North American Truck Group. “Its commercial-duty design will change the game in the work truck market by offering one of the most capable, most versatile and most drivable trucks in its class.”
Also all-new is the truck’s 300 hp, 6.4-liter MaxxForce 7 V-8 engine, which delivers 660 lb.-ft. torque. Allen said the engine’s compacted graphite iron (CGI) block offers high strength without added weight and features. It is mated with an Allison 1000 automatic transmission to optimize its power output.
Allen called the MaxxForce’s Advanced EGR emissions technology “the only no-hassle emissions technology” in its class. “With MaxxForce Advanced EGR, customers won’t have the worry or inconvenience of finding or filling liquid urea. And, with no added SCR aftertreatment equipment, the TerraStar provides a clean and clear chassis for easy body and equipment mounting, not to mention less added weight,” he noted.
Other key TerraStar features Allen listed include:
- Best-in-class visibility— 28% more than the market leader
- Industry-best 107-in. BBC (bumper to back-of-cab) length and 44-ft. curb-to-curb turning radius which offers outstanding maneuverability in even the tightest work environments
- True commercial-duty truck cab with 30% more cab interior space than the market leader, allowing plenty of room for three adults to fit comfortably in the front seat
- Optionally available are extended cab or crew cab configurations.
- Commercial- style tilt-away hood provides unobstructed access to the engine compartment, making routine and schedule maintenance quick and easy.
- International Diamond Logic multiplex electrical system eases body integration and helps deliver a number of smart, customizable features for added convenience and safety—such as automated pre-trip inspections, headlights on with wipers, interlocks, programmable switches and more depending on the application.
The TerraStar will initially be available with a 4x2 drivetrain and a 4x4 version is planned for release in 2011, Allen noted.
“With the introduction of the International TerraStar powered by the MaxxForce 7, there is no other truck manufacturer in the industry today with as complete a line-up of integrated trucks and engines,” Allen added. “The addition of TerraStar gives us a product lineup that can serve virtually any truck need, spanning from Class 4 to Class 8.”
It was noted that the MaxxForce 7 will also power all standard-cab models of International DuraStar Class 6/7 trucks as well as the TerraStar. Four available ratings will range from 220 to 300 hp and 560 to 660 lb.-ft. torque.