Beginning today, Sept. 6, in Morris, IL, the American Truck Historical Society (ATHS) kicked off its first Historic Highway Convoy, a 10-day trek that will follow historic Route 66, the famous “Mother Road,” from Illinois to California.
Held in conjunction with Travel Centers of America, which is celebrating its 40th Anniversary, daily truck shows take place from 11 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. at T/A or Petro truck stops at each of nine stops along the route: Morris, IL; Troy, IL; Joplin, MO; Oklahoma City, OK; Amarillo, TX; Albuquerque, NM; Gallup, NM; Kingman, AZ; and Barstow, CA.
Convoy vehicles will arrive at each stop at around 4 p.m. to conclude with an expanded truck show. The convoy will make its final stop on Sept. 15 to participate in annual the Route 66 Rendezvous, an automotive event held each year in downtown San Bernardino, CA.
The American Truck Historical Society is the largest antique truck club in the United States. Trucks owned by local ATHS members, an ATHS booth display and booth displays by the Prime Movers and Heavy Hauler sponsors will be present at each truckstop location along the convoy route.
The convoy and truck show schedule follows:
- Thursday, Sept. 6, T/A, Morris, IL
- Friday, Sept. 7, T/A, Troy, IL
- Saturday, Sept. 8, Joplin 44, Petro Joplin, MO
- Sunday, Sept. 9, OKC Petro, Oklahoma City, OK
- Monday, Sept. 10, T/A, Amarillo, TX
- Tuesday, Sept. 11, T/A, Albuquerque, NM
- Wednesday, Sept. 12, T/A, Gallup, NM
- Thursday, Sept. 13, T/A, Kingman, AZ
- Friday, Sept. 14, T/A, Barstow, CA
- Saturday, Sept. 15, Route 66 Rendezvous, San Bernardino, CA